Singapore Expats

Termination before joining

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
XPAT10728

Termination before joining

Post by XPAT10728 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 9:31 am

Hi,
I signed a contract with a company and now I have got a better option. I went through the contract which I had signed and they have mentioned a notice period of 1 month. Considering the fact that I have not joined the company and not even applied for an E-pass, could I be charged with a breach of contract if I inform them that I don't intend to join?
And how would be the best way to inform them ? I am thinking about telling some other reason than going for a better proposition; would that be an issue in the future if they find out it wasnt the complete truth or do the companies really care about the reason?
Appreciate a response from someone experienced in this domain...

Thanks in advance...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Termination before joining

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 6:45 pm

XPAT10728 wrote:Hi,
I signed a contract with a company and now I have got a better option. I went through the contract which I had signed and they have mentioned a notice period of 1 month. Considering the fact that I have not joined the company and not even applied for an E-pass, could I be charged with a breach of contract if I inform them that I don't intend to join?
And how would be the best way to inform them ? I am thinking about telling some other reason than going for a better proposition; would that be an issue in the future if they find out it wasnt the complete truth or do the companies really care about the reason?

Thanks in advance...
No one cares. You're just another useless job hopper. freak off home.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks in advance...
wait, you confirmed your contract, signed, and then changed your mind before you think they applied for EP ?

Well, if your employer is a hard nut good luck trying to find the loopholes to get away from him !

As for job hopping you can find innovative replies, but any good HR guy will know you are not joining because a) your existing employer increased your package or b) you got a better offer (most likely they know it is b) ) And none will believe any other reason you may think of !

Experienced in this domain ? experienced in this domain is not something anybody want to boast about .. !!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 9:03 pm

Your potential employer spent good money to recruit, interview, and hire you... and now because of your lack of integrity she/he will need to to it all over again. Your potential employer has spent additional money getting you set up in HR and payroll, finding you a desk, and ensuring you have all the tools you need to work.

Why did you agree to take the job if you intended on continuing your job hunt? You show poor judgment, and the only positive thing for the employer you are stiffing is that they won't have a bad apple amongst the other employees.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks in advance...
You don't apply for the E-pass. The employer does and probably applied for it the day you signed the contract if they were keen on hiring you. Now, you could really be between a rock and a hard place as you have to find out from the first employer if they in fact did apply and if they did, you are going to have to beg them to withdraw the application as the potential 2nd employer will not be able to make an application while there is a pending application. (good luck - after stiffing them, I know what I would do and I'm an HR Mgr here). As an HR Mgr I'll only say this.. Karma can be a bi*ch! and you asked for it.

Oh, am I experienced in this domain? Yeah, you might say so. Both as an HR Manager of a medium sized SME and as a former headhunter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

XPAT10728

Post by XPAT10728 » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 8:56 am

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the overwhelming response...
Let's not jump the gun here. I didnt apply for another company (Y) after signing a contract with company X. I had applied for both at the same time and my preference was always Y and X was a fall back option. Due to some clerical error, company Y sent me a wrong reject mail; which they corrected afterwards (now). But unfortunately, under the impression that company Y rejected me, I had already signed the contract with X.
And by "better option", I didnt mean money (because I'm not a money minder jerk). But the job profile is matching with my prior experiences and I have a good history with Y, while I'll be a newbie with X and need to learn from the beginning.
I know I dont have to vindicate my stance here, but I just want to point out that you people are judging without having the whole facts. And btw I am not a hopper and I have really sound employment background to prove the same.

Thanks...
PS: I am pretty sure that they havent applied for the pass as I have already asked them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 9:05 am

Then you should be okay. But remember, in Singapore, the "bird in the hand" doesn't fly very well with local employers. If employer #2 knows you already accepted a position and are jumping ship asap, it may very well be a little flag on your personnel file that you have no compunction about jumping ship. In a downturn, they will tend to keep those who look sterling and those with a little tarnish may well see the door. That is especially true in today political climate here in Singapore where the MOM keeps reducing the quotas for FTs and/or raising the levies. Good luck to you and consider yourself as having had a quick education as to how it may look to employers and such when you do such things. Especially in a very small island like Singapore. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 12:06 pm

This caused some discord !!

Signed means you are confirmed to join .. :)

Apologies in any case :)