Singapore Expats

Cycling in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
JakeB

Cycling in Singapore

Post by JakeB » Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:25 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking to relocate to Singapore with my company
and I'm wondering about cycling. I've read that Singapore is
one of the greenest cities in the world. Can I rent road bike and what's the average price?

TheBigHunt

Re: Cycling in Singapore

Post by TheBigHunt » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:46 am

Hi, I've been in SG for now more 3 years and I've done some bikes.
First, riding on the road is not really recommended, especially in the center of the city. Now, if you live away from this busy center, you can ride.
It depends also about the kind of ride you like. If it's more to ride on Sunday, cool slow, then one of the best and easiest place would be the east coast park as you can ride for 20 to 30 km one way. Even around marina bay.
Now if you want to do sport road bike, then there are not a lot of options. One of the main is yo ride around changi airport. Many riders do this.
Personally speaking, I've done some rides on east coast park but most of the time, I do spinning class in a fitness center. Of course it's not the same but if you want to train, it's quite good.
Mountain bike is kind of useless in Singapore. You can always go in some places but there are few.
Regarding prices, it depends of the type of bike you are looking for.
First, there are some good 2nd hands opportunities. You can find many on togopart Singapore.
If you want to buy new, be very careful about the scammer, especially all the online bike shops. There are tons.
My advise would be to go on one on the main stores in Singapore, rodalink. They have several shops in the city and the prices are really corrects. A Brand like Polygon is cheap and really cool. You won't find better ratio quality / price.
Let me know if you need more info.
Cheera

JakeB

Post by JakeB » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:49 am

TheBigHunt, thank you a lot for advices, now it's more clear :)

TheBigHunt

Post by TheBigHunt » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:59 am

You are welcome. I did many triathlon here and around since 3 years (something like 15) (crazy.... Noooooo).
So for me, train for riding road bike is crutial. But the best option I found is spinning. When you push on spinning bike for 2 hours.... I can tell you that you train.
What kind of rise are you looking for?
Cheers

JakeB

Post by JakeB » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 1:03 am

Well, it's my hobby. Sometimes I love to visit gym, but now I want to start cycling again

TheBigHunt

Post by TheBigHunt » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 1:06 am

Then, a track like east coast park is really cool.
So to answer to your initial question, you can find nice tracks to ride as an hobby. Now don't plan to travel in the city by bike. Too hot, too much trafic and in a way, Singapore is notba cycle city as Copenhagen for example.

JakeB

Post by JakeB » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 1:14 am

Thank you again! I hope I will get here soon and will have more concrete questions :D

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:27 am

Tons of bike routes here and tons of bike groups too with various bike shops/groups etc. The bike shops have tons of routes with gradients and they also do weekend bike rides. I am sure that you will hook up with groups that do these rides regularly.

ssylow

Post by ssylow » Mon, 25 May 2015 11:27 pm

Agree with thebighunt . U should definitely try east coast park. It's a long route u can spend half a day there . The route will link u to changi airport.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 4:29 pm

u can cycle along changi coast road too..you can go all the way from east coast to changi point, passing by the changi airport runway and watch the plane landing or taking off. but advisable to cycle along the park connector as there are many cargo trucks moving in and out

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 05 Jun 2015 4:41 pm

menudown wrote:u can cycle along changi coast road too..you can go all the way from east coast to changi point, passing by the changi airport runway and watch the plane landing or taking off. but advisable to cycle along the park connector as there are many cargo trucks moving in and out
Do it while you can. Changi Coast Road is going to disappear under a new runway.

And I'd second the advice of staying on the connector. That road has an awful lot of accidents, some involving cyclists. I reckon 6kms of straight road is too long for the local attention span. :wink:

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Sat, 06 Jun 2015 2:27 am

I used to be an avid, but mostly solo road cyclist in the US. I'd hop on my bike mid day and just go on for miles going between my home in the middle of a major city to the protected/semi protected paths and "shared" lanes with little issues. Road cycling solo here in Singapore midday if you live away from a protected path is most certainly not recommended. Seems you need to go out in big groups early morning with a limited selection of roads. By the way many local drivers don't feel cyclists should be on the road since they don't have to pay ERP and the "car tax". I am looking to sell my road bike. However it does seem there are some very interesting mountain bike trails around the island and on pulau ubin. Still a challenge getting there if you don't live near the east coast and don't have a car. Foldable bikes are allowed on MRT but seems like this could be a hassle.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:44 am

I had a road bike for a while but never really got on with it. I don't think Sg helps, it's not the most interesting place to ride on the roads. It's the same on a motorbike, you quickly tire of Sg roads.

I now just ride a hybrid mountain/touring bike and really enjoy the park connectors.

Talking of folding bikes, I have always fancied a Brompton. Think it would be perfect for the urban environment. Very pricey here though.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:52 am

true that, sg roads may be boring after awhile..I do have some friends who cycle up to Johor but you need to have experience guide for Malaysia route

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:59 am

bgd wrote:I had a road bike for a while but never really got on with it. I don't think Sg helps, it's not the most interesting place to ride on the roads. It's the same on a motorbike, you quickly tire of Sg roads.

I now just ride a hybrid mountain/touring bike and really enjoy the park connectors.

Talking of folding bikes, I have always fancied a Brompton. Think it would be perfect for the urban environment. Very pricey here though.
I heard that the Brompton is good but if you are thinking of using it in public transport, make sure the model you're buying fits into the permitted size after it is folded up. And no you're now allowed to bring it onboard during peak hours.