Singapore Expats

Where should we consider staying!?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Where should we consider staying!?

Post by the lynx » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 11:33 am

rarkins wrote:Unfortunately, your two office locations don't seem to be a great pairing, as I am not aware of any condos within 30 minutes public transport of both, even at any budget.

Increasing commute time a little to the St Luke's location doesn't really add any great options either, except a few small places in the Bukit Timah area.

If you extend your commute time a little further from the One-North office instead it finally provides a few options: Regent Heights, Parc Vista, and Parc Oasis. The latter two are in Jurong area though rather than Bukit Batok, but now's not the time to be too picky. All three of these have grocery stores easily reachable by foot.

Interestingly, an increase of budget to $4k doesn't actually improve things much until you extend up to 45 minutes commute from both workplaces.
Actually I'm hoping for x9200 to chime in because he knows of those condos around Bukit Batok. I only know The Jade (right at the MRT station), Regent Heights and Hillview Regency (near Little Guilin). The rest are farther away (beyond 1km radius).

Around One-North station, you have Park View Dover, The Rochester, One-North Residences and Heritage View within walking distance of 500m radius.

Search By

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 1:12 pm

The Jade adjacent to West Mall and Bukit Batok MRT is less then 30 min away from One North and it should be possible to get there something for SGD ~3k5/1000sf.

Other condos in the neighborhood are cheaper but if <30 min of travel is a must then they are out.

The mentioned Hillview area is fine (I live there too) but for commuting with public transport is is a bit of a headache (unless there is a direct bus line available).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 1:40 pm

x9200 wrote:The Jade adjacent to West Mall and Bukit Batok MRT is less then 30 min away from One North and it should be possible to get there something for SGD ~3k5/1000sf.

Other condos in the neighborhood are cheaper but if <30 min of travel is a must then they are out.

The mentioned Hillview area is fine (I live there too) but for commuting with public transport is is a bit of a headache (unless there is a direct bus line available).
Is the construction of Downtown Line passing through Hillview a long way to go?

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 1:53 pm

Apparently due first quarter of 2016, not sure how things work over here but if it was the UK I'd be taking a very large pinch of salt with the dates :)

For the OP that could make the trip to One North more straightforward from the Hillview area depending on exact location.

Mike

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 2:27 pm

the lynx wrote:Is the construction of Downtown Line passing through Hillview a long way to go?
Anything from 1 to 3 years judging from the construction mess, but one should also remember:
1) further away from Bukit Batok towards (Upper)Bukit Timah Rd, more expensive the condos.
2) new MRT lines up and running will also have an impact on the rental prices - this should be also taken into account as right now the prices (in the MRT construction area) are definitely depressed so there is a good risk of rental double shock when the MRT lines are eventually operational.

On a different note, taking into account the St Luke's Hospital location I would also not rule out the condos in the area defined by the Bukit Batok Rd, PIE and Boon Lay, namely The Mayfair and Pacr Oasis, so I agree to some extent on this one with rarkins.

rarkins
Regular
Regular

Post by rarkins » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 4:38 pm

I hadn't included The Jade as I'd thought their 2 bedrooms were a little small for OP, but now I definitely have doubts on that conclusion - it seems like a good option.

If you look at rental listings around the web - or this site's profile of The Jade (http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapor ... e-jade.htm) - all the 2 bedroom apartments are in the 1000-1100 range, yet every single lease is registered as 800-900 or 900-1000 sqft in the URA records (query at https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action). Slightly off-topic but does anyone know why there would be such a discrepancy?

Also if going in that direction on the map, Hillview Regency and The Madeira are possibilities too.