Singapore Expats

Recipes

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Recipes

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:50 am

any vegetarian recipe to go with gnnochi?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:51 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:any vegetarian recipe to go with gnnochi?
Try pasta sauces; the gnocchi replacing pasta; a tomato-based sauce with some herbs to suit your taste. The idea is the starch in gnocchi would soak any flavors you'd add to them.

If you want to replace eggs, you'd want another ingredient that will act as a binder AND coagulant. The proteins in tofu should do the trick.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 2:08 pm

nakatago wrote:
Try pasta sauces; the gnocchi replacing pasta; a tomato-based sauce with some herbs to suit your taste.
I find gnocci pretty heavy going, in a way similar to the steamed rice they do here, 'longtong'. And also JPnese mochi, although that's eaten cold AFAIR.

So I'd keep the sauce simple, light and zesty, and perhaps add some grated parmesan/peccorino (I prefer the latter, it has a similar but gutsier flavour, plus it's usually the cheaper of the two) to give it a bit of tang. Or use an Arrabiata sauce which is light, veggy, and has some spicy zest to it.

Googling 'gnocci sauce' brings up many hits. I haven't opened any but these sound suited/promising...
http://www.italyum.com/gnocchi-recipes/ ... sauce.html
http://www.marthastewart.com/336461/gno ... mato-sauce
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1033 ... nach-sauce
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 2:23 pm

A 10 min breakfast idea,a soft of bruschetta with a bit of tomato, baby corn, jalapeno pepper and some parmesan cheese, toast in the oven for 5-10 mins and bobs yer uncle

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 2:55 pm

I roasted some peppers, pumpkin and a sweet potato with garlic & chillis. Drizzled with olive oil.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:38 am

A Berry well made puff :mrgreen: , basically heated some palm sugar and threw in some strawberries,blackberries and blueberries, wrapped it up and baked it in an oven for 20 mins at 180c
and Bob is now my uncle.

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:55 am

Pumpkin corn soup:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 medium pumpkin, diced (about 500g)
3 teaspoons of thyme and oregano
1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 500ml)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 can of corn kernels
1 teaspoon lime juice
Few cubes of feta cheese

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until fragrant. Add pumpkin and 1 teaspoon herbs and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until pumpkin starts to soften.

Add broth and salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes and cook until the pumpkin becomes soft. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and stir in corn. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir occasionally, until the corn is tender (the recipe says 5 minutes but I needed 10 minutes to make the corn soft). Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve garnished with the remaining 2 teaspoons herbs and feta cheese.

Heaven.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 18 Mar 2015 8:18 am

Wish Sandwich
Two slices of bread, and wish for meat in between the slices of bread.

Bow bow bow.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 5:37 pm

Rice crackers/senbei* instead of bread crumbs/panko for fried chicken.

*Also a great way to recycle stale but still within best before date potato chips, crackers, doritos, etc.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 5:42 pm

+1, that looks awesome! :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 28 Mar 2015 5:45 pm

JR8 wrote:+1, that looks awesome! :cool:
Tastes even awesomer.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:05 pm

When an omelette turns out like a pizza => pizzlette?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:55 pm

That looks exactly like the omelet I eat every morning! Only I substitute Pepper Beef in place of ham or bacon. I use Tomato, Capsicum, Swiss Brown Mushrooms and Pepper Beef (occasionally I'll throw in some onion as well)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That looks exactly like the omelet I eat every morning! Only I substitute Pepper Beef in place of ham or bacon. I use Tomato, Capsicum, Swiss Brown Mushrooms and Pepper Beef (occasionally I'll throw in some onion as well)
I've another pic of the pre-prep'd ingredients, but pix don't seem to want to display too well it seems.... hmmm.

Mmm-yum, that sounds like a good combo. I bet if you totted up the 'nutrition' it would be way healthier than first impressions.

Mine was intended with more of a 'loaded' idea, with what I had at hand, than super-healthy as such. So mine was 3 rashers of bacon (gently pre-fried, with all the fat trimmed off => surprisingly healthier than popular conception), shitake mushrooms, a couple of chopped shallots (slightly caramelised/dry-fried), some cubes of pretty feisty aged gouda cheese (very hard cheese, almost like parmesan), and a sprinkle of thyme. Cherry toms, also pre dry-fried. I think that was it ... :)

What's nice is how you can change 'the theme'. I've done a previous version with seafood. Some prawns, mini-scallops (bay scallops), and cubes of fresh salmon.

There seem many possibilities :) :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:44 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:That looks exactly like the omelet I eat every morning! Only I substitute Pepper Beef in place of ham or bacon. I use Tomato, Capsicum, Swiss Brown Mushrooms and Pepper Beef (occasionally I'll throw in some onion as well)
I've another pic of the pre-prep'd ingredients, but pix don't seem to want to display too well it seems.... hmmm.

Mmm-yum, that sounds like a good combo. I bet if you totted up the 'nutrition' it would be way healthier than first impressions.

Mine was intended with more of a 'loaded' idea, with what I had at hand, than super-healthy as such. So mine was 3 rashers of bacon (gently pre-fried, with all the fat trimmed off => surprisingly healthier than popular conception), shitake mushrooms, a couple of chopped shallots (slightly caramelised/dry-fried), some cubes of pretty feisty aged gouda cheese (very hard cheese, almost like parmesan), and a sprinkle of thyme. Cherry toms, also pre dry-fried. I think that was it ... :)

What's nice is how you can change 'the theme'. I've done a previous version with seafood. Some prawns, mini-scallops (bay scallops), and cubes of fresh salmon.

There seem many possibilities :) :cool:
Try some minced, pre-cooked eggplant:

Saute the eggplant in some broth, stock or red wine. When the liquid evaporates, add in your aromatics then your eggs. Sprinkle some herbs, maybe some grated cheese of your choice.