Singapore Expats

Letter of Consent Issues

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
LTVPLOC

Letter of Consent Issues

Post by LTVPLOC » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 2:40 pm

Hi all,

I would like to seek help from you guys as you may know more on LOC issues.

My lady friend from China is married to a Singapore guy for 2 years plus. She is now holding LTVP is recently got a LOC to work in Singapore. Her marriage is unstable and planning to get divorce early next year. My questions are as below:-

1. Upon divorced, will my friend LOC be cancel immediately?
2. Will my friend LTVP be cancel immediate upon completion of her divorced?
3. How can my friend continue to work at present company?

Hope you guys out there know can share with me.

Thanks much.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Letter of Consent Issues

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 3:13 pm

LTVPLOC wrote:Hi all,

I would like to seek help from you guys as you may know more on LOC issues.

My lady friend from China is married to a Singapore guy for 2 years plus. She is now holding LTVP is recently got a LOC to work in Singapore. Her marriage is unstable and planning to get divorce early next year. My questions are as below:-

1. Upon divorced, will my friend LOC be cancel immediately?
2. Will my friend LTVP be cancel immediate upon completion of her divorced?
3. How can my friend continue to work at present company?

Hope you guys out there know can share with me.

Thanks much.
If all her passes are linked to her being married , and then she no longer married then it would stand to reason that LTVP & LOC get cancelled.

Who knows how the Government actually works though and if they track this kind of thing. As I would assume that there have been many ladies/gents who have gotten PR for example under family ties and then divorced with no impact on there status.

If I was your friend I would contact ICA/MOM whomever issued her variety of pass and see what they say.

Solution to number 3 is to get an Spass/Employment pass in her own right with the company.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Elington

Post by Elington » Fri, 28 Oct 2016 1:15 am

If the reason of the unstable relationship does not lie with her. She should check if she has fulfilled the requirements to be able to stay here even after divorce. Or what else does she need in order to stay here.

It's unfair for her if she has to bear the consequences for falling in love with the wrong person who seemed like the right choice at the point of time.

We might have a couple of people here in the forums that are familiar with the legal aspects of that.

LTVPLOC

Post by LTVPLOC » Fri, 28 Oct 2016 12:08 pm

Any legal friends here can advise on my query? Thanks much.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Oct 2016 12:35 pm

If her LTVP is based on being married to a SG Citizen, once that marriage is dissolved, she will no longer qualify for the LTVP. Please note that the LTVP isn't anywhere near being a PR. PR stands for Permanent Residence (as far as that goes). but LTVP only means Long Term "VISIT" Pass which means a transient visa generally used as a stopgap between getting married here and staying here long enough to satisfy the requirement to become a PR.

Therefore, if she no longer has the legal sponsor (her "husband") and "anchor" (also "Husband") because the legal entity was dissolved, so she may have her LTVP canceled and placed on a 30 SVP to give her time to clean up her affairs before having to leave. The only way around that that I'm aware of is if she is able to, as already mentioned, get a work visa on her own merits. She cannot remain on a LoC as she will no longer have the required anchor sponsor. It sucks, and while it might be possible find a way to stay, I rather doubt it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LTVPLOC

Post by LTVPLOC » Fri, 28 Oct 2016 1:00 pm

Hi Sundaymorningstaple,

If after she divorced, is they any other way she can stay back in Singapore to continue work other than work permit? I'm willing to be the sponsor.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If her LTVP is based on being married to a SG Citizen, once that marriage is dissolved, she will no longer qualify for the LTVP. Please note that the LTVP isn't anywhere near being a PR. PR stands for Permanent Residence (as far as that goes). but LTVP only means Long Term "VISIT" Pass which means a transient visa generally used as a stopgap between getting married here and staying here long enough to satisfy the requirement to become a PR.

Therefore, if she no longer has the legal sponsor (her "husband") and "anchor" (also "Husband") because the legal entity was dissolved, so she may have her LTVP canceled and placed on a 30 SVP to give her time to clean up her affairs before having to leave. The only way around that that I'm aware of is if she is able to, as already mentioned, get a work visa on her own merits. She cannot remain on a LoC as she will no longer have the required anchor sponsor. It sucks, and while it might be possible find a way to stay, I rather doubt it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Oct 2016 1:19 pm

The only other way that I'm aware of is if she had a school aged child and get got an LTVP as a Peidu or Study Mama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Study_mama

They are particularly strict for PRC women as so many have come here, found a local husband, sucked out all the money they could and then left. Or they have hung in there until they got their PR, then left their husbands. They generally have a pretty bad reputation and ICA isn't keen on doing them many favours, as it were. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but it's like Kiasuism in Singaporeans, Not all are that bad, but enough have been that it's become a national trait, tarring the whole country in the process. It's rough, but like the Indian National PR abusers here, those that follow are finding it extremely difficult to get PR now as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers