Singapore Expats

Why are house prices quoted in psf?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Why are house prices quoted in psf?

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 3:46 pm

Just asking , as surely its the overall price that determines affordability and not the psf?

Whats the point in having to do a floor area x psf , when you just can quote the price?

I see a lot of folk on property sites talk about psf , but isnt that irrelevant if you cant afford the overall price in the first place.

e.g. Sentosa somewhere recently was 1200psf , but the overall price of the place was $30M++ , some were saying so cheap as a place in Serangoon was quoted as 1400psf.

What is the point?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Why are house prices quoted in psf?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 4:09 pm

People do it as it suits them. When selling Mickey mouse unit they tell you $5XX and psft wise it is $1800. When they are selling a huge landed bungalow they tell you psft.

To me, I need both the psft as well as the area. I can then find the total quantum myself.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 6:40 pm

For rapid comparisons of prices for the same class or condo development. Once you get used to it, it does make pricing quicker to analyse. You couldn't use it to compare a bungalow to a HDB.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 7:12 pm

Because it was a british colony. Otherwise they would use price/ square metre, or (as in Japan) price/ tatami (unit of measurement for flats/ houses there is tatami mats)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 25 Oct 2016 9:37 pm

Price per square foot is an indicator of build level and in the USA, desirability of the location.

Higher price per square foot means granite instead of Formica countertops, higher grade appliances, other amenities such as wired for internet, automated controls, etc.

Also means closer to wanted locations... same identical house next to Orchard costs more than out at Jurong.