Singapore Expats

PR rejected, need some perspective

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: PR rejected, need some perspective

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 9:47 am

EJ3482 wrote:Unhelpful.
That's the spirit.

I guess you will fit in very well. And the locals gonna love you to bits !

For curiosity sake, have you engaged yourself in any local grassroots level program, to see how things are ?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: PR rejected, need some perspective

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:19 am

Here is my perspective:

The world is getting more and more populist, with stuff like Brexit and Trump presidency. Also I believe globalization has peaked and from here it will only reverse slowly. What with living standards falling in most developed countries. They are going to be more and more inward looking and taking care of their own citizens. Immigration is already the biggest political concern for most countries, it is only going to get worse.

When I came to Singapore in 2009, people here asked me to wait for 2 years. But as time passes it has become more and more impossible to get PR. Forget PR, people are worried about EP renewals also these days.

Also another point regarding population. Robots are coming. In the future you wouldn't need so many people to perform jobs. Robots/ Machine learning and artificial intelligence will take the places of most foreign workers. I am sure Singapore with its far sightedness is already taking this into account while approving PR and citizens. Why would they give PR to someone when there are scores of people waiting to come in and do the same thing on EP?

My advice is if you can't go back to your home country, then quickly find a country which is still open and accepting PRs. AU, NZ and Canada come to my mind right away.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR rejected, need some perspective

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:40 am

Wd40 wrote:Why would they give PR to someone when there are scores of people waiting to come in and do the same thing on EP?
Ain't that the truth ?
My advice is if you can't go back to your home country, then quickly find a country which is still open and accepting PRs. AU, NZ and Canada come to my mind right away.
The guy wants Singapore.

Alas, he can't manipulate or buy residency here ! Too bad.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 11:07 am

Chin up old sport. You can continue to re-apply. Don't be so disheartened - the PR process is actually not completely opaque and I'm sure as you gather information you'll understand it's not about you personally but about what you are to the Singapore government; (i.e. it's not a personal judgement but an objective one).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:10 am

EJ3482 wrote:Hi all, here are my/our stats:

I tend to be impulsive with these things and my first thoughts on seeing the rejection were "call my boss, ask for a transfer to the head office in US", as I know he would be keen for me to move there and I would likely land there instantly on a green card eligible visa, taking my job and head count with me out of Singapore.. Is it game over for us in Singapore?
what makes Singapore so compelling to you that you are willing to risk the opportunity above?

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 2:29 pm

well singapore have investor scheme .... if you're interested .... starting with 2.5 million Singapore dollars.

given your total compensation of 500k at the moment, and with steady incline of bonuses year over year in finance industry ...

you can move all of your assets out of singapore in the next few years, and then come back as an investor PR.

:D

thats how Eduardo Saverin (you know ... the sidelined facebook co-founder) got his instant-PR.

actually ... now i do have question, if supposedly many of high net worth individuals ( lets say, millionaires worth roughly 1 million ) gets their PR rejected ... wouldn't that cause flight of capital knowing that these people give them no reason to stay and they will migrate.

i recalled this similar case, guy called dr.sami who also earned few hundred k in some biotech industry left for aussie due to his PR rejected.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 9:15 pm

dynoto wrote:well singapore have investor scheme .... if you're interested .... starting with 2.5 million Singapore dollars.

given your total compensation of 500k at the moment, and with steady incline of bonuses year over year in finance industry ...

you can move all of your assets out of singapore in the next few years, and then come back as an investor PR.

:D

thats how Eduardo Saverin (you know ... the sidelined facebook co-founder) got his instant-PR.

actually ... now i do have question, if supposedly many of high net worth individuals ( lets say, millionaires worth roughly 1 million ) gets their PR rejected ... wouldn't that cause flight of capital knowing that these people give them no reason to stay and they will migrate.

i recalled this similar case, guy called dr.sami who also earned few hundred k in some biotech industry left for aussie due to his PR rejected.
There is something known as 80:20 rule that applies to most things in life. Even wealth, it can be even more skewed. Something like 1% of people own 90% of the wealth. Singapore just needs to take care of these people. Most people are offshore already, just that their wealth sits in SG. 1 million is nothing in Singapore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Stephy@

Post by Stephy@ » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 10:15 am

Hi all,
Would like to know whether anyone out there granted their PR at age 32? I been rejected twice and try to apply next year.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 11:11 am

Stephy@

Post by Stephy@ » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 10:20 am

Thanks Singaporeflyer for the information. I heard my friends said when we reached 32 y.o and single will have a slightly chance to granted. Is it

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:26 am

Stephy@ wrote:Thanks Singaporeflyer for the information. I heard my friends said when we reached 32 y.o and single will have a slightly chance to granted. Is it
My 2 cents?

Since Singapore P R process Is very "transparent" nobody knows how much age plays a part.

Unless somebody can prove me wrong.

Then again, you are still of "production" age, to quote The Late MM .

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 1:06 pm

Actually age is important. IF you read the demograpnhics document it's quite clear there is a prime age group for PR. 25 to 49 from memory.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Stephy@

Post by Stephy@ » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 3:32 pm

Still silly question from me. Working with F&B now very hard to granted PR? Been rejected twice and really quite speechless.

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 6:31 pm

Stephy@ wrote:Still silly question from me. Working with F&B now very hard to granted PR? Been rejected twice and really quite speechless.
Certain industries have it harder to get.
But F&B is kinda unheard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 6:34 pm

Stephy@ wrote:Still silly question from me. Working with F&B now very hard to granted PR? Been rejected twice and really quite speechless.
FnB, Chinese chef ? ;) logically high chance. But with your nationality you still have an edge over most.

Don't think bad