Singapore Expats

Relocating our Domestic Helper with us from Hong Kong (to Singapore)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Relocating our Domestic Helper with us from Hong Kong (to Singapore)

Post by AngryAngMo » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 2:43 pm

Hello,

we will be moving (back) to Singapore early 2017 and we are currently very happy with our Domestic Helper here in Hong Kong. We would like to bring her with us and continue to employ her in Singapore.

Has anyone done this before and what was your experience, is it easy, complicated, expensive? Any advise on the requirements or workflow / documents?

Thanks a lot!
AAM
Last edited by AngryAngMo on Fri, 02 Sep 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us to Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 3:22 pm

Squirrel, this one is for you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us to Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 4:20 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:Hello,

we will be moving (back) to Singapore early 2017 and we are currently very happy with our Domestic Helper here in Hong Kong. We would like to bring her with us and continue to employ her in Singapore.

Has anyone done this before and what was your experience, is it easy, complicated, expensive? Any advise on the requirements or workflow / documents?

Thanks a lot!
AAM
Why the angry face mate? ;)

Which country is she from ?

It can be easy as it can be or painful depending upon her country of origin.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, this one is for you.

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 5:09 pm

shes from the Philippines, experienced, has worked for 10 years in HK and is since 2 years working for us! I got my EP already approved and have lived in Singapore 5 years previous to HK.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us to Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 5:32 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:shes from the Philippines, experienced, has worked for 10 years in HK and is since 2 years working for us! I got my EP already approved and have lived in Singapore 5 years previous to HK.
If she has registered properly under POEA then it's just a matter of drawing a standard contract and getting it endorsed at the embassy. Plus get the minor paper work settled. That's the Philippine embassy.

If she has not properly registered under POEA, then a load of additional requirements need to be met.

The above can be done after you get her work permit at MOM. Do check up MOM for the FDW permit.

As a new employer in Singapore you need to pass the employer's exam as well.

Just ensure her passport has validity of more than 6 months. And she's below 50 years of age

Let me know if the above sounds simple.

Plan B is to get an agent who won't go for salary deduction and do the embassy work + MOM permit + exit to Malaysia to collect the permit etc and all for a small fee.

Most agents tend to not take up the above work as it's not profitable.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 6:00 pm

ecureilx wrote: Most agents tend to not take up the above work as it's not profitable.
Don't you mean usurious. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us to Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 6:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Most agents tend to not take up the above work as it's not profitable.
Don't you mean usurious. Image
Miracles do happen sometimes ;)

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks a lot for all the details! Let me check with her on POEA (http://www.poea.gov.ph/). Usually they would register there themselves?

Cheers
AAM

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 4:18 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:Thanks a lot for all the details! Let me check with her on POEA (http://www.poea.gov.ph/). Usually they would register there themselves?

Cheers
AAM
Nope. There are few requirements to be met, including relevant TESDA training, Overseas Orientation etc, to be registered in POEA, and to be certified a legal OFW (Overseas Foreign Worker - all others are illegal, by PH law Image ) ...

Rather than figuring your way through that bureaucratic mess, just ask her if she was deployed in HK legally (ahem, in Philippines terms) and if she says yes, you can hop through a few steps.

All you need then, if she's a legal OFW in HK, is to comply with Philippine Embassy / POLO requirements.

All that registration etc, is apparently to protect the Filipinos from being abused by foreigners ;) all of that protection ends up costing $$$$.

Failure to be legally employed means, when she goes back to Philippines for a holiday, she may be held at the airport, plus when she wants to come back, she may be off loaded by the immigration in Philippines and charged for being an illegal foreign worker.

Once you cleared the Philippine side of the problem, Singapore is pretty much cake walk.

Fyi.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... gramme-eop

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Re: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us from Hong Kong (to Singapore)

Post by AngryAngMo » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 4:59 pm

hmmm, i would expect her to be legally employed here.. We have a government approved and required legally binding working contract with her, for which she had to submit all kind of documents to the different government bodies. She has a proper Employment Visa here in HK too, and she travels back every year, without being held at the airport :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us from Hong Kong (to Singapore)

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 5:20 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:hmmm, i would expect her to be legally employed here.. We have a government approved and required legally binding working contract with her, for which she had to submit all kind of documents to the different government bodies. She has a proper Employment Visa here in HK too, and she travels back every year, without being held at the airport :)
Fret not. As I said.

Just ask if she been Registered in Philippines. It only speeds up the "Philippines" side of the paperwork.

If not, the missing papers just need to be regularised.

If she's done the POEA, POLO, OWWA and all, then just need the embassy endorsement of the contract, insurance and bit more.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Relocating our Domestic Helper with us from Hong Kong (to Singapore)

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 8:20 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:...
The new Philippines president has vowed to reduce or remove most of the needless paperwork...

Life may get easier actually

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 2:52 pm

alright sounds good, will let you know the outcome!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 2:55 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:alright sounds good, will let you know the outcome!
Will PM you a link with the steps,

It's from a blog but pretty much accurate.

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Post by AngryAngMo » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 3:21 pm

Alright, getting closer to the actual move, and I just realized that I can only attend the EOP Training Course, once I have my SingPass (which I only get once i have arrived in Singapore). Hence my question,

- How to handle this with my FDW, would I ask her to stay behind in HK and then come over later!?
- Does my wife have to do the EOP too, or is this only for the person signing her Employment Contract
- Are there any standard / most common health insurance plans for FDW?

Cheers!!