Singapore Expats

Moving back to SG after 12 years

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Luxmee

Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by Luxmee » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 1:06 am

(22F) I'm moving back to Singapore in the coming weeks having been away for 12 years... Not too far away but far enough.

A little about me:
I'm a Singaporean (0.5 Filipina/0.5 Chindian). I grew up in an International School in Kuala Lumpur for 7 years, continued with my college and bachelor's degree until this year.
I'm also in a long distance relationship with my SO who is Australian (24M).
I enjoy music (I perform in a band), people watching, hiking (sg has so many nature spots so I'm excited to explore)

Bottom line:
Basically, I don't really know much about SG (what's good, where to go, what to eat) and I have no friends in SG so I would love to get to know some like minded people who can tolerate dry humor and unfortunate chronic RBH (resting bitch face) but I promise you I am super nice.

Plus points if you can kindly share with me some advice on how to get my SO over to Singapore!

TL;DR- Wanted: friends

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 8:21 am

Luxmee wrote:(22F) I'm moving back to Singapore in the coming weeks having been away for 12 years... Not too far away but far enough.

A little about me:
I'm a Singaporean (0.5 Filipina/0.5 Chindian). I grew up in an International School in Kuala Lumpur for 7 years, continued with my college and bachelor's degree until this year.
I'm also in a long distance relationship with my SO who is Australian (24M).
I enjoy music (I perform in a band), people watching, hiking (sg has so many nature spots so I'm excited to explore)

Bottom line:
Basically, I don't really know much about SG (what's good, where to go, what to eat) and I have no friends in SG so I would love to get to know some like minded people who can tolerate dry humor and unfortunate chronic RBH (resting bitch face) but I promise you I am super nice.

Plus points if you can kindly share with me some advice on how to get my SO over to Singapore!

TL;DR- Wanted: friends
I am not sure what SO means, but getting married to him will ensure you can get him to Singapore....

No other options may prevail as of now.

x9200

Re: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by x9200 » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 8:43 am

probably
Significant Other

BTW, Singapore and so many hiking spots says a person living in Malaysia?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:10 am

x9200 wrote:probably
Significant Other

I thought special other or sweet one. .. all fine until status changed to married or complicated....

Hey, you can hike Bukit timah hill, or the Pulau Ubin Quarry. ..

Or just take a hike along man made East coast park

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: RE: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:19 am

ecureilx wrote:I am not sure what SO means, but getting married to him will ensure you can get him to Singapore....
SO="Significant Other." (I agree with x9200.)

Legal marriage isn't sufficient to sponsor a foreigner for immigration into Singapore (for a LTVP); there's no guarantee. ICA will also consider Luxmee's financial capacity for sponsorship and whether Luxmee's spouse is admissible into Singapore (not convicted of a serious crime, for example).

Luxmee and her SO have an excellent option available: a Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment.
Like any other foreigner, Luxmee's SO might qualify on his own merits for a pass or permit.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:33 am

Ecu, I am not saying there are no hiking places in Singapore, but just by the sheer difference in the land area I am sure there are many more in Malaysia.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:42 am

x9200 wrote:Ecu, I am not saying there are no hiking places in Singapore, but just by the sheer difference in the land area I am sure there are many more in Malaysia.
I was being sarcastic to OP. Malaysia of course rocks, when it comes to adventure travel and such...
BBCWatcher wrote: Legal marriage isn't sufficient to sponsor a foreigner for immigration into Singapore (for a LTVP); there's no guarantee. ICA will also consider Luxmee's financial capacity for sponsorship and whether Luxmee's spouse is admissible into Singapore (not convicted of a serious crime, for example).
Uh ho ..

Oh, no.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 3:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:Oh, no.
Are you disagreeing with the information you quoted and bolded?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 4:21 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Oh, no.
Are you disagreeing with the information you quoted and bolded?
No, never...

TMI comes to mind. ..

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 6:00 pm

OK, so you don't disagree. Moreover, it's not "Too Much Information" if we care about Luxmee and wish all the best for her.
BBCWatcher wrote:Luxmee and her SO have an excellent option available: a Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 6:39 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:OK, so you don't disagree. Moreover, it's not "Too Much Information" if we care about Luxmee and wish all the best for her.
In fact I disagree a lot with you in this post, but not gonna entangle myself with another word war where there's only one winner and it won't be Me .. so let me agree with you ... have fun.

Somehow your "care" doesn't seem to extend to needlessly scaring the hell out of folks ... ;)

Luxmee

Post by Luxmee » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 9:07 pm

x9200 wrote:probably
Significant Other

Yes actually Malaysia has some pretty sweet hiking spots but I have no clue my way around SG.

Sent from my SHV-E330S using Tapatalk

Luxmee

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Moving back to SG after 12 years

Post by Luxmee » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 9:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:OK, so you don't disagree. Moreover, it's not "Too Much Information" if we care about Luxmee and wish all the best for her.
In fact I disagree a lot with you in this post, but not gonna entangle myself with another word war where there's only one winner and it won't be Me .. so let me agree with you ... have fun.

Somehow your "care" doesn't seem to extend to needlessly scaring the hell out of folks ... ;)
Thanks for the solidarity [VICTORY HAND][VICTORY HAND]

Luxmee

Post by Luxmee » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 9:13 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I am not sure what SO means, but getting married to him will ensure you can get him to Singapore....
SO="Significant Other." (I agree with x9200.)

Legal marriage isn't sufficient to sponsor a foreigner for immigration into Singapore (for a LTVP); there's no guarantee. ICA will also consider Luxmee's financial capacity for sponsorship and whether Luxmee's spouse is admissible into Singapore (not convicted of a serious crime, for example).

Luxmee and her SO have an excellent option available: a Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment.
Like any other foreigner, Luxmee's SO might qualify on his own merits for a pass or permit.
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. So just curious, is there a reason why SG is really tightening things up with foreign job applicants? Are they solely looking for high income earning foreigners or just restricting most of them in general?

Luxmee

Post by Luxmee » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 9:13 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Luxmee and her SO have an excellent option available: a Pre-Marriage Long-Term Visit Pass Assessment.
Thanks again for the kind words.