Singapore Expats

Long term pass rejected. Please advise !

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
metsu

Long term pass rejected. Please advise !

Post by metsu » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 12:56 am

I'm a Sg citizen and went study/work in Taiwan after my NS, and got married there, yes, Taiwanese girl.
Here goes the story(sorry if my English is bad, I stay in Taiwan for about 15 years)

i bringing my 2 children age 8 and 9 back to SG for education and went to MOE asking a place in school, MOE agreed saying that they welcome SGer in oversea to bring their kid back home, ok very cool. And them, I applied for SC for both of them, appointment is at Feb 2017 (WTF lol), ok nvm i can wait, applied for Long term pass for them, and to my surprise, they rejected !! wow, they rejecting SG citizen bringing their kids home ?

Any advises willl be very much appreciated !

x9200

Re: Long term pass rejected. Please advise !

Post by x9200 » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 8:57 am

I believe normally they don't reject if everything is ok with you (e.g. ability to sustain/maintain the family) and the children (that you actually proved you have the custody) etc etc., but as you didn't provide any details, nobody can possibly guess the reason. Why don't you call ICA and ask?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:06 am

That makes sense, actually. LTVPs are for foreigners, and they are not, exactly -- they are (effectively) undocumented Singaporeans at present.(*) So just continue on the present path to get their citizenships documented. Keep checking for an appointment sooner than February, 2017.

I'm guessing that your appointment is directly with ICA in Singapore. I don't think it has to be. Have you tried lodging the applications through Singapore's Trade Office in Taipei? You cannot apply electronically since they're too old, but the Trade Office should take their applications and forward them to ICA. I doubt the Trade Office has such a deep appointment queue.

(*) Like many countries, Singapore makes it a bit tougher to document a child's citizenship if you wait too long. In Singapore's case they shut off the electronic application (and require a manual submission), and they also require a written explanation for your tardiness.

metsu

Post by metsu » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:36 am

x9200 wrote:I believe normally they don't reject if everything is ok with you (e.g. ability to sustain/maintain the family) and the children (that you actually proved you have the custody) etc etc., but as you didn't provide any details, nobody can possibly guess the reason. Why don't you call ICA and ask?
I did provide my letter of employment in Taiwan (no fancy high salay thou).
So you mean the gov will close its door to my kids if i'm jobless ? that dosent makes any sense to me.
I went to ICA the next day I received the rejection email, went to level 4 and the lady at the counter gave me 2 more application form and a piece of white paper, asked me to write the reasons for appealing and sumit it at lvl 8.. i really wanted to write "coz i'm fxxking singaporean ! that's why" lol

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:39 am

You may actually need to apply for PR or Student Visa in the mean time. LTVP is not quite the right pass. As per the constitution your children do have a right to SC as they are the children of a SC father. Persist, be patient and don't get arrested for calling ICA useless kunts.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:51 am

metsu wrote:
x9200 wrote:I believe normally they don't reject if everything is ok with you (e.g. ability to sustain/maintain the family) and the children (that you actually proved you have the custody) etc etc., but as you didn't provide any details, nobody can possibly guess the reason. Why don't you call ICA and ask?
I did provide my letter of employment in Taiwan (no fancy high salay thou).
So you mean the gov will close its door to my kids if i'm jobless ? that dosent makes any sense to me.
I went to ICA the next day I received the rejection email, went to level 4 and the lady at the counter gave me 2 more application form and a piece of white paper, asked me to write the reasons for appealing and sumit it at lvl 8.. i really wanted to write "coz i'm fxxking singaporean ! that's why" lol
1) Have you asked for the reason of the rejection?
2) Not a jobless but often ICA requires a proof that you will be able to provide proper care for your dependants. We've seen many cases where LTVP was refused for the wives of SG citizens if the applicant's salary was below certain level. With children it can be even more critical.

metsu

Post by metsu » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:58 am

BBCWatcher wrote:That makes sense, actually. LTVPs are for foreigners, and they are not, exactly -- they are (effectively) undocumented Singaporeans at present.(*) So just continue on the present path to get their citizenships documented. Keep checking for an appointment sooner than February, 2017.

I'm guessing that your appointment is directly with ICA in Singapore. I don't think it has to be. Have you tried lodging the applications through Singapore's Trade Office in Taipei? You cannot apply electronically since they're too old, but the Trade Office should take their applications and forward them to ICA. I doubt the Trade Office has such a deep appointment queue.

(*) Like many countries, Singapore makes it a bit tougher to document a child's citizenship if you wait too long. In Singapore's case they shut off the electronic application (and require a manual submission), and they also require a written explanation for your tardiness.
my children are holding Taiwan passport and they enter SG with a 30day visiting visa, went for extend another 30 days. They cant stay here after Oct, and their SC intview is at Feb next year, so i should bring them back to TW and wait ? i've already quit their school in TW, and somemore, i wish them to stay here and pick up English language b4 the school starts.

I did went to the SG trade office in TPE, they actually suggest me to apply in SG. i applied thru online using the family tie scheme, and yes, i know i need to write a letter to explain.

Anyway, 3 years back, i quit my job in TW, brought my wife and 2 kids back to SG, got into a local company (Fxx Exxx Oxxxxxxx) with a 4k/m salary, i got rejected 6 times at the counter asking me to provide 6 months CPF statement, i told them I just got a job ( with FEO's offical letter) and how will i ever have 6 months of CPF contrubutions ? She reply in my face, her voice still in my head till now "then apply 6 months later lor" so they are telling me to send my kids and wife back to TW and i work in SG for 6 months and then apply again ? WTF is wrong with this country ?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:07 am

metsu wrote:So you mean the gov will close its door to my kids if i'm jobless ? that dosent makes any sense to me.
ICA is unlikely to approve LTVPs if the sponsor (you) does not have the financial means in Singapore to support them, and that 6+ month track record. LTVPs, not citizenship -- different rules, different standards for approval. Your past income from employment in Taiwan doesn't help. ICA needs to see a steady income (or perhaps wealth) for LTVP financial sponsorship.

Moreover, the government tends to set aside duplicative work, and the LTVP is rather duplicative. There is a solution here: document their citizenships. ICA presumably knows that.

Yes, they'll have to leave Singapore before they lose permission to stay. You may be able to extend their STVPs, though.

So you've got three options as I see it (and they might be combined):

1. Wait until you get the 6 months of payslips, and reapply for LTVPs.

2. Get their citizenships documented via a manual application submitted to the Singapore Trade Office in Taipei. There should be practically zero wait for an appointment there.

3. Keep monitoring ICA's appointment system for an earlier appointment, and grab an earlier appointment if one is available. (That's common.) Whenever the appointment comes, lodge their citizenship applications with ICA in Singapore.

Out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to document their citizenships?

metsu

Post by metsu » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 5:04 pm

Went to ICA for the appeal today, never tell me the reason for rejection, but the officer told me that LTVP should be applied with mother, coz children are tie with mom... but anyway, she advised me to appeal along with MP's letter.. so just wait for now..
And yes, from now till their SCitizenship, they need long term pass to stay in SG. not recommand to keep on renewing their short terms. (told by the officer)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Long term pass rejected. Please advise !

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 8:47 pm

metsu wrote:Went to ICA for the appeal today, never tell me the reason for rejection, but the officer told me that LTVP should be applied with mother, coz children are tie with mom... but anyway, she advised me to appeal along with MP's letter.. so just wait for now..
And yes, from now till their SCitizenship, they need long term pass to stay in SG. not recommand to keep on renewing their short terms. (told by the officer)
You can only extend SVP for 89 days or 120 day. Don't remember which one (somebody all research and confirm ;) )

Ok, in your specific case, a letter from MP, should work. If you are employed at the moment.. trust me, got that tried and tested. Without going into long story.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 8:48 pm

BBCWatcher wrote: ICA is unlikely to approve LTVPs if the sponsor (you) does not have the financial means in Singapore to support them, and that 6+ month track record.
Wrong.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:20 pm

ecureilx wrote:Wrong.
The LTVP has already been denied.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Long term pass rejected. Please advise !

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:22 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Wrong.
The LTVP has already been denied.
So ?

Sometimes you need to stop theorizing and transcribing websites. And instead of reading other people's posts and drawing conclusions.

Do you have first hard or second hand experience with LTVP ? And experience with Appeals and such ?