Singapore Expats

Jobs Bank

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Xxemma1xx

Jobs Bank

Post by Xxemma1xx » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 8:47 pm

Hi, I found my dream job in fragrance creation advertised on indeed.sg but when I go to apply it takes me to the Singapore Jobs Bank website which can only be accessed by Singapore residents..
The jobs description says that it is open to candidates from all over the world but this is the only way to apply. Does anyone know how to access Jobs Bank as a non resident?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Jobs Bank

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:20 pm

Xxemma1xx wrote:Hi, I found my dream job in fragrance creation advertised on indeed.sg but when I go to apply it takes me to the Singapore Jobs Bank website which can only be accessed by Singapore residents..
The jobs description says that it is open to candidates from all over the world but this is the only way to apply. Does anyone know how to access Jobs Bank as a non resident?
Jobs bank is only for citizens and PRs. Even if you access using somebody's SingPass, you can't apply.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Jobs Bank

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:59 pm

The employer has the option (but not obligation) to attempt to sponsor a foreign worker for an Employment Pass after the position has been posted to Jobs Bank for at least 14 calendar days. If there's another way to express your interest in the position, I would do so. However, regardless, resident workers have the right of first refusal. If it's truly a "dream job" then it'll probably be filled locally.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Jobs Bank

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:46 am

BBCWatcher wrote:The employer has the option (but not obligation) to attempt to sponsor a foreign worker for an Employment Pass after the position has been posted to Jobs Bank for at least 14 calendar days. If there's another way to express your interest in the position, I would do so. However, regardless, resident workers have the right of first refusal. If it's truly a "dream job" then it'll probably be filled locally.
The guy is asking if he can apply via the Job Bank. Is it possible ? I honestly thought otherwise..sorry for asking.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: RE: Re: Jobs Bank

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 9:18 am

ecureilx wrote:The guy is asking if he can apply via the Job Bank. Is it possible ?
No. But here's what I wrote: "If there's another way to express your interest in the position, I would do so." In particular, if the recruitment Web site offers another contact option, I'd try it.

As background, there are a few possibilities here:

1. The employer will leave the position advertised in Jobs Bank for as long as necessary to fill the position locally, with a qualified resident worker. (They can keep a position open as long as they want, and they certainly do not have any obligation to fill a position with a foreign worker.)

2. The employer has already found a suitable foreign candidate to sponsor for an Employment Pass but is advertising the position in Jobs Bank as part of the EP process. The employer is then obliged to give serious, reasonable, priority consideration to resident workers who apply for the position during the 14 day minimum Jobs Bank window. The job is already filled, subject to replacement with a resident candidate.

3. The employer has not yet found a candidate but is willing to consider any qualified candidate, still giving priority to a resident worker. In this case the employer might revise the listing after the 14 day Jobs Bank window to allow non-resident inquiries.

In all these cases Xxemma1xx could try to find another way (outside Jobs Bank) to express interest in the position, just in case. If that's impossible -- if the employer is not accepting inquiries any other way, at least for now -- then so be it.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:18 pm

All of what BBCW has said could be plausible scenarios... and add to it this one... the muppets in HR haven't yet clicked to the fact that foreigners cannot apply via the Jobs Bank link. One day they might wake up but it's doubtful.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 6:19 pm

Yes, that's a specific instance of case #3.

Note that, technically, a Jobs Bank application path is "open to candidates from all over the world" (quoting Xxemma1xx). That's a truthful representation. Candidates must be Singapore PRs or citizens, with SingPasses, to apply, but they can be residents of (and/or originally from) any country. "You can be from anywhere, but you must already have unrestricted work permission in Singapore," in other words.