Singapore Expats

Random thoughts thread

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Random thoughts thread

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 May 2016 7:21 pm

5) We withdrew a base-level budget for the trip's daily incidental expenses in Forints. Charged the larger bills on cards. And had some Euros in cash as a back-up. I don't recall if we used the Euros, but in any case watch any rate they offer. S$1=HUF204, and Euro=HUF316 right now, and when dealing with bigger numbers it's easier for people to sneak in a really crappy rate.
8) Now you mention it, yes, we did both of those too. Good plan.

p.s. I sometimes wonder if when the forum refuses to take my longer posts, it's a grumpy HAL-like hint that the computer isn't happy ;)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 25 May 2016 1:50 am

This forum suffers the modern malady of short attention span. TLDR (too long didn't read) .

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 3:56 am

Coming to the pre-existing street-wide facial-recognition CCTV in Singapore soon? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tures.html

'Can you spot a terrorist just by looking at their face? New software can tell if you are anything from a paedophile to an ace poker player by analysing your features'

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 5:36 am

[Self-edited/deleted post.
It seems like our neighbourhood might be being 'shot up' this pm, bit flipping hairy ....

tags: done enough of expatting, can I just go home now please?]

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 6:49 am

I read this article on WW1 in Euope with pix. Very last pic seems to show some Chinese people.... and I was thinking 'is that right, what on earth were they doing there?'... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments

But it seems a huge amount of Chinese were conscripted into work in Europe during World War One -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Labour_Corps Chinese Labour Corps
This with many pix is pretty amazing [if into history/this era/area etc] - http://multimedia.scmp.com/ww1-china/

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 25 May 2016 1:50 pm

JR8 wrote:5) We withdrew a base-level budget for the trip's daily incidental expenses in Forints. Charged the larger bills on cards. And had some Euros in cash as a back-up. I don't recall if we used the Euros, but in any case watch any rate they offer. S$1=HUF204, and Euro=HUF316 right now, and when dealing with bigger numbers it's easier for people to sneak in a really crappy rate.
8) Now you mention it, yes, we did both of those too. Good plan.

p.s. I sometimes wonder if when the forum refuses to take my longer posts, it's a grumpy HAL-like hint that the computer isn't happy ;)
I think i will do the same, i'll use my corp credit card for most of the charges and keep a small amount in Forints. I hope they like American Express lol cause that is a card that is usually frowned upon in many places.

the forum is groaning and creaking with the weight of your posts JR :P
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 25 May 2016 1:53 pm

earthfriendly wrote:This forum suffers the modern malady of short attention span. TLDR (too long didn't read) .
I actually like reading JRs posts, its usually a long, well thought out paragraph, meandering its way, its however tough to respond to his posts when you are stuck on a bus with one arm glued to the rail.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 May 2016 6:16 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I think i will do the same, i'll use my corp credit card for most of the charges and keep a small amount in Forints. I hope they like American Express lol cause that is a card that is usually frowned upon in many places.
the forum is groaning and creaking with the weight of your posts JR :P
re: Amex.
'Many shops do not accept Amex or Diners Club cards, because these cards are not common in Hungary, and transaction fees are high. However since the largest retail bank OTP started to issue American Express cards a few years ago the acceptance of the Amex card is increasing. But it is recommended that beside the Amex card you should possess a Visa or MasterCard as well.'
http://www.hungarianbirdwatching.com/07 ... tters.html

Worth reading the whole article for context, cash local/Euros, local exchance, types of credit cards etc... From the website 'Hungarian Bird-Watching' no less, a pursuit I'm sure you will enjoy ;)

ps yr ps - Maybe I'm one of the last ones here that uses a full size PC+keyboard, makes getting wordy sooo simple :wink: :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2016 8:05 pm

Nope, I also use a full sized keyboard and can get wordy as well. Doesn't help my spelling none though! :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 29 May 2016 8:55 pm

update so far:
1. Air France are absolute twats, the interrogated me and wanted to see papers proving my intention to travel to Europe and this happened in Singapore! no airline has asked for that info in 10 years of my flying around. the reason they wanted this info was apparently because if they had to deport me back in case of "issues" they wanted to make sure i was sufficiently funded. this was well further befuddling because they wanted to see my invitation letter not my finances, also i had a return air ticket which was already paid for which disproved their fck all theory.
Ironically at Paris, a bored looking woman chewing gum didn;t even look at my face and stamped my passport and said she didn't know english and that i should hurry up for my connecting flight.
in Budapest there wasn't even a customs official in sight. and Air france delayed my baggage. A full formal complaint in on order.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 29 May 2016 9:05 pm

2. i hit the wrong amount on the atm machine in hungary and withdrew more forints than i needed.
so im paying for everything and trying to use it all up.

3. Buda > Pest, though i am staying in the Pest part. i went on the hop on hop off bus, lovely place I love the sights , scenery and the clean fresh air, something i haven't experienced in a long time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 May 2016 9:11 pm

'Welcome to France. We guarantee your authentic French-style experience will begin before getting here, at check-in in fact' ;)
Perhaps AF took your luggage off for a thorough inspection, hence it got delayed and wasn't on your actual flight?
There are quite a few ports of entry in the EU where immigration in the intra-EU channel is deserted. Same goes for customs, which is often seemingly unmanned. Perhaps they rely on 'profiling' more these days...

ps. Glad you're enjoying it. Goulash, beer and cakes next? ;)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 29 May 2016 9:37 pm

i don't know what profiling they did by using a bored bubble gum chewing lady claiming she didn't know english, no fingerprints nothing lol.
it got delayed cause my connecting flight was less than 30 mins after my plane landed in paris. they sent it to my hotel lol, everything appeared intact. they also put in a mustafa style bag tie lol

the goulash is great and so are all the pastries and the beer, however the food is rather heavy im trying to choose the least loaded with calories.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 May 2016 9:54 pm

Oh that's typical. 'Anyone who is anything' in France likely learned English from the age of 11 and up. Most are proficient, many are fluent. But bizarrely claiming they don't speak any is part of 'their charm' lol. It's perhaps a facet of the [alleged] cultural arrogance that they try and force you to speak French, then feign not to understand you either.
OIC re: the luggage, the 'short-connection' thing. Yes that can be rough on a short-trip, always waiting for your bags to eventually catch up with you.
Yes the more traditional food down in Hungary is 'heavy'. Lot's of rich creamy sauces etc. If you wanted to stereotype E/Euro food it would be starchy/heavy and so on. At least down in Hungary they often have some spice going on too.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 30 May 2016 11:23 am

I used to make ghoulash but it got a bit heavy. And the starch that goes with it ....... spaetler, pierogi