Singapore Expats

Odds for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tinakapur

Odds for PR

Post by tinakapur » Sun, 15 May 2016 10:28 am

A question to experts here - what are the odds of getting PR for the following profile (my husband)

India, Male + me + infant
Work pass: Singapore - 18 months
Senior position in well known multi-national
over 700K SGD salary (annual)

View please ?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Odds for PR

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 15 May 2016 11:10 am

ICA asks for three years of income tax assessments. With only 18 months of work history in Singapore it would appear your husband doesn't have them. That's not helpful.

tinakapur

Post by tinakapur » Sun, 15 May 2016 11:18 am

Thanks- ya that's what we thought but couple of guys from his office applied with just one year assessment and got it. We felt that 3 years but advisory but not compulsory.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 15 May 2016 3:26 pm

ICA will take an application from practically anybody with a pulse, but you asked about his odds. His odds are lower without at least three Notices of Assessment -- or without whatever else ICA asks for, for that matter. How much lower only ICA knows.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 May 2016 5:02 pm

You have left out the most import consideration. (even more so than the 18 months). What industry is your husband in? I ask because if he is in the Financial sector his odds are not good if he is in the "C" level of the hierarchy of the MNC. We've seen several who have been in the 350/400K arena and in almost all cases, their applications were rejected and in every case they were in the Financial Industry. My reading from all this is that Financial people make very poor PR/Citizenship material as they will jump ship at a 50K/per annum increment and that's not a lot once at those levels.

With that in mind, along with what BBC mentioned, I don't think the chances are all that good. Add the fact that being Indian, means it's highly likely that the only reason he took the position here is the money is good an he's closer to home (India) and ICA knows this.

So, having said my piece, I'll one thing more. If he does apply, it's likely the answer will be no, but could be a yes. If he doesn't apply I guarantee the answer is no. You buys your ticket and takes yer chances. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tinakapur

Post by tinakapur » Sun, 15 May 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks This is helpful- industry is oil and gas. Indeed no downside of applying - worst case the answer is no.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Mon, 16 May 2016 7:08 am

What do you call an O&G executive who irons 5 shirts on a Sunday?

An optimist...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 16 May 2016 7:24 am

tinakapur wrote:Thanks This is helpful- industry is oil and gas. Indeed no downside of applying - worst case the answer is no.
and then it counts against your next application.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 16 May 2016 8:26 am

There aren't too many ways an applicant can affect his/her odds, but the date of application (and thus number of Notices of Assessment) is one of the very few ways an applicant can. So does your husband want to take the one knob he alone fully, perfectly controls and twist it away from approval toward rejection? That seems like an odd thing to do, but it's up to him.

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Thu, 19 May 2016 2:11 pm

I would say very good chances. At that salary level, your husband is likely to be in a senior executive position which ICA knows is indicative of his company wishing to base itself in SG as opposed to, for example, Jakarta, KL etc. In the current climate this will be good for SG and they know that. These positions are very few and far between Singapore will be very accommodating towards this. Also, SG's eyes are all on India right now as future potential where funds are pouring in. This is good. But I would wait for your husband to prove himself. That way, in the achievements box in the application form, he can boast about how he's established a local oil and gas team here despite market conditions etc.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 19 May 2016 2:32 pm

sgstrait wrote: SG's eyes are all on India right now as future potential where funds are pouring in. This is good. But I would wait for your husband to prove himself. That way, in the achievements box in the application form, he can boast about how he's established a local oil and gas team here despite market conditions etc.
source?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

yuya_ng

Post by yuya_ng » Tue, 24 May 2016 11:15 pm

My info:
1. Education: Degree
1- S Pass
2. Sales Manager (Commission Based) - SGD 100K per annual
3- 8 years in Singapore since 2008 April
4- Myanmar / married (SPR spouse & one son 5-year old now (at K1 in private school)
5. Age: 35
6. Donation: Singapore Cancer Society since 2012
7- 4th time application will be on July 2016.

what are the chances of getting PR for the above profile?

Dukunberanak

Post by Dukunberanak » Wed, 25 May 2016 12:13 am

tinakapur wrote:A question to experts here - what are the odds of getting PR for the following profile (my husband)

India, Male + me + infant
Work pass: Singapore - 18 months
Senior position in well known multi-national
over 700K SGD salary (annual)

View please ?
with your profile the statistics in the past will likely determine the result. i am not sure with that high salary how many percentage foreign worker stay in sg for long term. Now my suggestion is you must create an impression you are planning to stay here for long term. How to do that? Just buy few condos here. Remember as foreigner your tax is higher to buy property compare to citizen. So if you buy few condos here your chance will become higher. It shows to SG gahmen you are super serious to stay in SG for long term.
Just my two cents

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2016 12:35 am

Buying multiple properties doesn't help anything at all. It doesn't benefit the Government, only some private individual and the applicant. The little tax dollars that generates isn't worth the paperwork. At the moment with a 100 full oil tankers anchored off of Singapore and most other oil ports in the world, I wouldn't apply at the moment as long as the barrel prices are so depressed. Most O&G companies are shedding people faster that you can say 'your fired'.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 May 2016 8:16 am

Personally if I were in ICA looking at this application I would be wondering why the role didn't have a local yokel in it...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!