Singapore Expats

LTVP+ questions

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
spia1189

LTVP+ questions

Post by spia1189 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 6:03 am

Hi there,

First time poster but long-term lurker on these forums.

Seeking advice on a few questions related to the LTVP+ visa.

I'll be applying for the visa in April, following marriage to my fiancee. We've been seeing each other >3.5 years and lived together for ~1.5 years while she was at university. I'm a New Zealand citizen, she is a Singaporean citizen. Started doing long distance about 2 years ago after she moved back to Singapore, but seen each other often.

I have worked in finance for ~5 yrs, (good degree, well paid by most standards), she has worked in the arts ~2 years (good degree, badly paid). We intend to live in Singapore as she wouldn't have the work opportunities long-term in New Zealand, compared to what she's doing now. We applied for (and were successful in getting) a letter of long-term visit pass eligibility (LLE).

Given that bit of context, a few questions,

1) Is it necessary to be in Singapore while the LTVP+ is being processed? I took a look at the online application form and one of the first questions it asks for is a disembarkation card number. If we submit the visa immediately following the wedding I would have one of these available, but it wouldn't be "valid" for very long as we intend to go away for our honeymoon, after which I intend to go back to NZ to wait out the process. This is an important point as I can't really take 6 weeks off from work, and would effectively have to resign and place myself at the mercy of the system if being in Singapore was required.

2) Given we got the LLE, is it likely at all that an application for LTVP+ would be rejected? Getting just an LTVP isn't really an option as I'd go crazy not working and it wouldn't be good for our finances.

3) What kind of weight does the ICA place on the "non-financial" aspects of a relationship in making its assessment? E.g. Is it worthwhile submitting photos of family gatherings, etc, to demonstrate the authenticity of the relationship?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the above.

spia1189

Re: LTVP+ questions

Post by spia1189 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 6:07 am

Sorry one question to add to the above, is there any merit in using a visa consultant given our situation or would this be a waste of money?

Cheers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 3:22 pm

Your employment concern is unfounded. Starting February 1, 2015, LTVP and LTVP+ holders have exactly the same work permission privileges. They both require that the prospective employer apply to the Ministry of Manpower for a Letter of Consent. The LoC is routinely granted, although there are no guarantees. In the very, very unlikely event MoM does not grant a LoC then you and your prospective employer still have normal work pass options (i.e. the Employment Pass), common but also not guaranteed.

The LTVP/LTVP+ path is a single online application process, and ICA grants either an LTVP or LTVP+ (or neither). You don't actually control whether you get an LTVP or LTVP+, so there's no use worrying about what you don't control. You have to renew an LTVP+ less often, and it offers a small discount on medical services at public hospitals and clinics, but that's about it. Probably ICA will start you off on an LTVP, but if you get lucky and "win" an LTVP+ you can celebrate with another half glass of cheap beer. In other words, it's no big deal.

Normally you'd lodge the LTVP/LTVP+ application while in Singapore on a STVP if you're a national of a visa waiver country (as you are) and assuming you want to be together with your spouse as quickly as possible, as long as possible.

spia1189

Post by spia1189 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks BBCWatcher, i'd thought that the "+" made the difference between being able to work and not, so good to clear that up.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 5:38 pm

OP, to answer your questions, it appears you need to be in Singapore while filing the application but this not necessary mean you have to remain in Singapore while waiting for the outcome. I suggest you give ICA a call or send them an e-mail/contact form request just to be sure and clarify this issue.

The 2nd question, no it makes no sense at all to use a visa consultant. Pure waste of many and under some circumstances it may even possibly work against you.

For the employment, I guess you found your chances for a reasonable job in SG pretty good if you decided to take the plunge? If the case, perhaps you could also consider to find the employment first, and if EP is granted, come over fully independent arranging all the formalities later and maybe applying directly for PR in 1-2year?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 5:44 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:The LTVP/LTVP+ path is a single online application process, and ICA grants either an LTVP or LTVP+ (or neither). You don't actually control whether you get an LTVP or LTVP+, so there's no use worrying about what you don't control.
Last time I completed an LTVP application there was a box on the form worded (roughly) 'Do you wish your application to be considered for an LTVP+?'. If you didn't tick it then obviously it wasn't. So to that extent your input does (or did?) influence whether it is considered an application for an LTVP or LTVP+. It could be you applied for the LTVP+ but they decided to grant simply the LTVP instead.

IIRC one of the deciders whether to grant the '+' was duration of marriage. That might now have changed, I don't know.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 6:29 pm

JR8, right now it says:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=175&secid=171 wrote:Eligibility for LTVP+ will be considered automatically in all LTVP applications; no separate application is required.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 6:41 pm

My understanding is the online application doesn't even ask any more (as the ICA statement JR8 found suggests), but if I'm wrong, if it still does, you might as well tick that "+" box, yes.

According to ICA, LTVP+ is more likely to be granted if the couple is married at least three years or if the couple has a Singaporean citizen child together. Note that at each LTVP renewal ICA makes a fresh determination whether an upgrade to LTVP+ is merited, so you'll probably get "plussed" at some point as long as you're still in Singapore and renewing your LTVP.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 7:09 pm

Noted X9, thanks. The '+' wasn't a separate application as such, it was a tick-box on the LTVP form. Anyway, which ever way it is now (I can't view the form, I'd need an ID) you can see the process is a simple one.

Correct BBCW, the three years of marriage used to be a differentiator between applying for the LTVP or LTVP+. One time soon after marriage I applied for the LTVP, then at renewal time I was married 3/+ years, so ticked the '+' box just to see if they'd grant it. They did. I had no plans to go out and find a job (I'm home-based self-employed), but thought I might as well try in case I wished to in future.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 3:07 pm

Well OK, but that difference between LTVP and LTVP+ is now history, dead and buried (or cremated if you prefer ;)).

spia1189

Post by spia1189 » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks for the comments all, this has been very helpful.

x9200- I suspect in finance my employment prospects are reasonably solid. But the main objective is to be with my fiance, our plan is be in Singapore long-term, hence the desire for LTVP.