Singapore Expats

Any recommendations for solid wood furniture at reasonable pricing?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
heedyouradvice

Any recommendations for solid wood furniture at reasonable pricing?

Post by heedyouradvice » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:58 am

Am looking to do up my place with a scandi decor, but looking for more durable furniture without breaking the bank. thanks in advance guys!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Any recommendations for solid wood furniture at reasonable pricing?

Post by JR8 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 2:05 am

We got our dining room chairs from IKEA. A simple/classic design, made from solid birch (a hardwood) with upholstered seat that could be removed so the covers could be removed and laundered. Very solidly made, looked great, relatively inexpensive for what they were.
Like these -> http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/30162109/
$55, what a bargain!
A dining table is going to be more expensive, look for extendible or 'drop-leaf' tables that can be extended when the seating space is required and otherwise folded down or away (if you need to).

I'm quite a fan of IKEA. Some product lines are great (like those chairs) and some tend to be crappy (IME arm-chairs/sofas)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Holicamika

Post by Holicamika » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 3:40 am

You can find furnitures in Carousell app as well :)

heedyouradvice

Post by heedyouradvice » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:04 pm

JR8 wrote:We got our dining room chairs from IKEA. A simple/classic design, made from solid birch (a hardwood) with upholstered seat that could be removed so the covers could be removed and laundered. Very solidly made, looked great, relatively inexpensive for what they were.
$55, what a bargain!
A dining table is going to be more expensive, look for extendible or 'drop-leaf' tables that can be extended when the seating space is required and otherwise folded down or away (if you need to).

I'm quite a fan of IKEA. Some product lines are great (like those chairs) and some tend to be crappy (IME arm-chairs/sofas)
thanks for the reply JR8, but personally i had some pretty bad experience buying from Ikea..bubbles forming on the surface, shaky cabinet, veneer splitting..therefore would like to buy solid wood furniture this time and from another source.

then again, i'm still months away from moving in to my new home. will be visiting the big box stores Star living, courts, etc. and hopefully find what i want!

i'm just wondering whether there are any "lesser known" stores but selling beautiful solid wood furniture thus for this post..

thanks again JR8, appreciate your help!

heedyouradvice

Post by heedyouradvice » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:09 pm

Holicamika wrote:You can find furnitures in Carousell app as well :)
Thanks Holicamika~! But i always thought they're like ebay? i.e selling used items?
also, i don't fancy buying from individuals...aftersales issues will be a nightmare~~!!
but thanks again, any response is always helpful and appreciated!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:29 pm

heedyouradvice wrote:
JR8 wrote:We got our dining room chairs from IKEA. A simple/classic design, made from solid birch (a hardwood) with upholstered seat that could be removed so the covers could be removed and laundered. Very solidly made, looked great, relatively inexpensive for what they were.
$55, what a bargain!

thanks for the reply JR8, but personally i had some pretty bad experience buying from Ikea..bubbles forming on the surface, shaky cabinet, veneer splitting..therefore would like to buy solid wood furniture this time and from another source.
That is usually the case with IKEA furniture...if it's the usual MDF fare. IKEA has more solid(ish) wood furniture now. They tend to be pretty good value for money.

http://gizmodo.com/ikeas-new-solid-wood ... 1747888189

I have this and I like it very much: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40261038/
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 1:29 pm

From my experience Ikea has like 3 ranges of furniture with different quality:
1) the mentioned, solid wood, good and lasting but a bit pricey
2) veneered boards but still good and lasting, example of this type is Beno or Expedit, not so expensive - we have some pieces over 10y old and nothing peels off.
3) cheap basic, very thin veneer shelves or tables, they are just bad and tend to peel off at the edges after short time.

The trick is to buy models adequate for expected application, so you should never buy a furniture based on particle boards if there is any risk this would have contact with water. No study desk, no dining tables, no flower pot shelves for the type "2" and "3", but for books, DVDs, kids toys etc. no problems for many years.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 5:16 pm

JR8 wrote: made from solid birch
heedyouradvice wrote: thanks for the reply JR8, but personally i had some pretty bad experience buying from Ikea..bubbles forming on the surface, shaky cabinet, veneer splitting..therefore would like to buy solid wood furniture this time and from another source.
IKEA veneered furniture is cleverly done, you have to look for the change of grain pattern on the edges as the joints/seams are often almost invisible. IME veneered furniture can have some issues coping with the humidity in Singapore. But do note my suggestion was looking for solid timber (as above) and specifically not veneered. Hence why I recalled those chairs we bought as having been good value, but was 're-surprised' [? :)] to see they are just $58, AND that's in $ingapore. That IMHO is a 'complete freakin' bargain'. Come to think of it you can't make such dining chairs from veneered chipboard or MDF, it wouldn't have the strength so presumably a good number of their other designs should be solid timber too.

With IKEA dining tables unless it's a cheaper timber like pine, then the legs are usually solid timber and the top is probably veneered. We had a good looking oak dining table, with a pull out extension on each end => cld seat 8 people. But the top was veneered and eventually the SGn climate 'blew' it. Hell of a shame. [Note: That was our fault. It arrived in our freight from Europe, and we hadn't room for it inside the flat. So it was kept folded up on the balcony under a vinyl table-cloth. However during a storm water still managed to get to it. I still am confident that wouldn't have happened if it had remained indoors].
heedyouradvice wrote:then again, i'm still months away from moving in to my new home. will be visiting the big box stores Star living, courts, etc. and hopefully find what i want!
i'm just wondering whether there are any "lesser known" stores but selling beautiful solid wood furniture thus for this post.. thanks again JR8, appreciate your help!
It's a good idea to gather ideas now, but I'd (of course) caution against making any final decisions until you have the keys to a new place. Any floor-plans you see have a tendency to exaggerate viably usable space. I advocate spending a few days in a place (cheapo mattress/inflatable bed?) so you get a sense of the space and flow, i.e. how people will move in a space, and from room to room, hence where can you not position furniture. That's before buying anything. We've done this before, prior to our freight arriving, and it quickly becomes apparent what space is available and where in each room.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard