Singapore Expats

Pharmacy in Johor for prescription drug

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
invisible999

Pharmacy in Johor for prescription drug

Post by invisible999 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 6:45 pm

I have a prescription after visiting local GP, well the drug here costs $22 per pill - $67 per three pills. No, it is not a joke.

I was wandering it it would be possible to go to Johor and try to buy the same medication there cheaper. But I've never been across yet and do not know where to go, what the logistics are.

- would Singaporean prescription work in Malaysia/Johor?
- in no, can I see any local GP for a prescription, even if I am a visitor? How much such a visit cost?
- what pharmacies would you recommend? The drug is not quite common one can tell, there is no generic alternative available.

Thanks in advance.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Pharmacy in Johor for prescription drug

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:38 am

invisible999 wrote:I have a prescription after visiting local GP, well the drug here costs $22 per pill - $67 per three pills. No, it is not a joke.

I was wandering it it would be possible to go to Johor and try to buy the same medication there cheaper. But I've never been across yet and do not know where to go, what the logistics are.

- would Singaporean prescription work in Malaysia/Johor?
- in no, can I see any local GP for a prescription, even if I am a visitor? How much such a visit cost?
- what pharmacies would you recommend? The drug is not quite common one can tell, there is no generic alternative available.

Thanks in advance.
Apex Pharmacy, ground floor of City Square, JB. They sell almost everything and you DON'T need a script (except for Opiates and I don't think they sell drugs like Prozac). I buy my BP medicine there routinely. If you have car you can literally pull up, park illegally, run inside, get the drugs, buy some JCO donuts and be done in 5 mins.

A sinky script is no use in JB. In MY and Indo and Thai you only really need scripts for opiates and similar.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:42 am

FYI don't forget to check out the Changi terminal pharmacies as well. They will sell some stuff OTC and prices are ok.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:44 am

PS - look for the cute 30ish MY Chinese Phamacist at City Square. She is western trained (Edin.) and really knows her stuff.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:47 am

DON'T offer her a JCO donut though. Doesn't seem to like them. At least not the ones with sprinkles on them.
Now I'm called PNGMK

invisible999

Post by invisible999 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:16 am

offshoreoildude wrote: Apex Pharmacy, ground floor of City Square, JB. They sell almost everything and you DON'T need a script (except for Opiates and I don't think they sell drugs like Prozac). I buy my BP medicine there routinely. If you have car you can literally pull up, park illegally, run inside, get the drugs, buy some JCO donuts and be done in 5 mins.

A sinky script is no use in JB. In MY and Indo and Thai you only really need scripts for opiates and similar.
First of all - thank you for the prompt response and informative answer. I do not have a car, looked at the map, seems I can take buses 160, 170, 950 from Woodlands, cross causeway, get out the first stop on other side - at checkpoint and then walk to the City Square, right?
offshoreoildude wrote:FYI don't forget to check out the Changi terminal pharmacies as well. They will sell some stuff OTC and prices are ok.
Mine is not OTC and if two pharmacies here are selling the box for $67, what are chances that at the aiport it will be $30 or less? I doubt it...
offshoreoildude wrote: buy some JCO donuts and be done in 5 mins.
Sorry for the ignorance, what is JCO donut?
offshoreoildude wrote:DON'T offer her a JCO donut though. Doesn't seem to like them. At least not the ones with sprinkles on them.
Would she love Swiss chocolate? :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 7:48 am

invisible999 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: Apex Pharmacy, ground floor of City Square, JB. They sell almost everything and you DON'T need a script (except for Opiates and I don't think they sell drugs like Prozac). I buy my BP medicine there routinely. If you have car you can literally pull up, park illegally, run inside, get the drugs, buy some JCO donuts and be done in 5 mins.

First of all - thank you for the prompt response and informative answer. I do not have a car, looked at the map, seems I can take buses 160, 170, 950 from Woodlands, cross causeway, get out the first stop on other side - at checkpoint and then walk to the City Square, right?
offshoreoildude wrote:FYI don't forget to check out the Changi terminal pharmacies as well. They will sell some stuff OTC and prices are ok.
Mine is not OTC and if two pharmacies here are selling the box for $67, what are chances that at the aiport it will be $30 or less? I doubt it...
offshoreoildude wrote: buy some JCO donuts and be done in 5 mins.
Sorry for the ignorance, what is JCO donut?
offshoreoildude wrote:DON'T offer her a JCO donut though. Doesn't seem to like them. At least not the ones with sprinkles on them.
Would she love Swiss chocolate? :)
The ony way to get a $67 medicine for that price is to buy it in a country that subsidizes it (Australia / PBS) - however to export subsidized medicine is usually illegal.

JCO = best donuts in the world.
Now I'm called PNGMK

invisible999

Post by invisible999 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:27 am

offshoreoildude wrote:The ony way to get a $67 medicine for that price is to buy it in a country that subsidizes it (Australia / PBS) - however to export subsidized medicine is usually illegal.

Hey, I have personally say thank you for suggesting that pharmacy. I bought the medication for 35% less price then it is in Singapore, and yes, the gal was there. :)

Thanks again.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:28 am

invisible999 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:The ony way to get a $67 medicine for that price is to buy it in a country that subsidizes it (Australia / PBS) - however to export subsidized medicine is usually illegal.

Hey, I have personally say thank you for suggesting that pharmacy. I bought the medication for 35% less price then it is in Singapore, and yes, the gal was there. :)

Thanks again.
No problem. I'm not just a piece of old oil field trash.

Here's a joke. What do you get when you cross a donkey and an onion?

Usually a mule with bad breath, but very occasionally an ass that will make your eyes water!

PS - did you buy some JCO donuts?
Now I'm called PNGMK

mike888

Post by mike888 » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 10:27 pm

Medicine is much more cheaper in Johor Bahru, i admit that i save a lot buying medicine in JB.
Usually, I will email/whatapp them what I need and they will pack for me. Currently, I am visiting Cosway Pharmacy Johor Jaya ( Near Taman Molek), service is good and price is attractive. Can google this for more information. :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 05 Feb 2016 10:36 pm

mike888 wrote:Medicine is much more cheaper in Johor Bahru, i admit that i save a lot buying medicine in JB.
Usually, I will email/whatapp them what I need and they will pack for me. Currently, I am visiting Cosway Pharmacy Johor Jaya ( Near Taman Molek), service is good and price is attractive. Can google this for more information. :)
Thanks. Always good to have an alternative.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Nanami24

Post by Nanami24 » Sun, 07 Oct 2018 3:03 pm

Hello, is the pharmacy in the jb city square still procvides antidepressants? Do we still need to bring prescriptions for it?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Oct 2018 4:40 pm

No I don't believe they will. Did you read any of the thread? You could ring and ask them.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!