Singapore Expats

What's with the live-in maids?!

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: What's with the live-in maids?!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:51 am

They did, but it's for renters isn't it? That's why all room rentals or unit rentals have to be vetted by HDB.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 1:11 pm

I think a lot of the issue for local families is the working hours here. When you don't leave work until 7, who takes care of the kids after school?

If working hours (and behaviours) could be adjusted so that 1) people actually worked at work, 2) they came in earlier, 3) they didn't take 2 hour lunches, and 4) then, they could leave at 530 - well, that would change things.

I doubt that will happen any time soon, so maids fill the gap.

BlockSuper

Post by BlockSuper » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:16 pm

Preferably I would have a part time maid that comes in twice a week or so and I pay her a fraction of what it would cost for a live in maid. However, as pointed out by other forum members, you have to sit in and watch the maid clean the place to ensure that she does the job well. This means wasting 3 hours of my time on weekends. Either that or I have to be comfortable leaving my keys with the part time maid. It's difficult when both spouse are working and it'll be so much more convenient if there is someone we trust that we can leave the keys with to open and monitor the maid.

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 3:01 pm

x9200 wrote:Finding a part time maid is the easy part. Finding one that properly and reliably cleans your place is close to impossible.
Those that are good are also fully booked.

If you're living in a condо, you could try asking the supervisor of the condо's cleaning service for a referral.
You may need to try several before you find one that is compatible.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 5:09 pm

Yes, people stay in the office longer, but, generally don't contribute that much more in my experience.
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 6:32 pm

They contribute to the perception of their bosses that they contribute where they should contribute.

Actually, after so many years around I tend to think the bosses on different levels also care about the perception if only this perception is shared by their bosses.

L.Jaff

Post by L.Jaff » Mon, 30 Nov 2015 7:32 pm

Yes.. the mentality is that you don't want to be the first one to get off work.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Nov 2015 8:45 pm

My staff know that if they stay too long past closing time I look askance at it as I know for a fact that I don't overload them with work that justifies having to work longer than 8 hours a day. (Unless it's a tender deadline we're working against). My thoughts are if they have to stay back late regularly, then maybe they need to find a job more suitable for them as I value family time. At the same time, they also know that I don't like lateness on a regular basis (get up 30 minutes earlier and catch an earlier bus) nor do I like "eating breakfast" at their desk after 9 am. After all, we don't open till 9 so they have plenty of time if they get up 30 minutes earlier. They even get an hour for lunch so don't be dilly-dallying around for 90 minutes for lunch. My long term staff appreciates it, now that they know me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers