Singapore Expats

PR Application Questions

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
138BCL

PR Application Questions

Post by 138BCL » Fri, 27 Nov 2015 9:57 pm

I am a Singaporean living overseas with a view of relocating back to Singapore with my current employer in the near future. I have anon-Singaporean family (spouse and 2 daughters).

PR application was submitted for them in mid-April 2015 i.e. over 7 months ago. I've not heard from the ICA as yet. (This was before the most recent General Elections.)

1. What is the processing time that is expected for the ICA to make a decision these days, particularly post-GE?

2. I was informed by the ICA at point of application that it is possible to get an in-principle PR prior to relocating back to Singapore. Should I need to relocate before the PR is granted, what does it mean for me and what do I need to do?

Any comments appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Application Questions

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:36 am

Shouldn't really be necessary. Had you don't some research, you will note that PR processing times are varying between 9 months and 18 months with some going as far as 24 months and a very, very few in 7 or 8 months. And that's with the applicants being already on the ground on the little red dot. I reckon it's going to be 12 months and if it happens sooner, a bonus for you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

138BCL

Post by 138BCL » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 5:41 am

Thanks for your reply. Do you know of any other cases of where the PR applicants were still residing overseas whilst the application was submitted, and what their experience was? (These would be where at least one spouse was a Singapore citizen.)

As a separate but related question, have you also known of cases where PR was rejected, and Citizenship offered instead?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 7:01 am

138BCL wrote:Thanks for your reply. Do you know of any other cases of where the PR applicants were still residing overseas whilst the application was submitted, and what their experience was? (These would be where at least one spouse was a Singapore citizen.)

One of our former regulars here applied for PR on the family ties scheme with his Singaporean wife while both were still in the UK. I believe there was another on here in the past year as well.

As a separate but related question, have you also known of cases where PR was rejected, and Citizenship offered instead? - No.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR Application Questions

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 8:44 am

138BCL wrote: As a separate but related question, have you also known of cases where PR was rejected, and Citizenship offered instead?
I know folks who were told by ICA to apply LTVP in lieu of PR, and same advice came during a MPS too.

138BCL

Post by 138BCL » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 9:24 am

Of those folks include spouses and children of Singapore citizens too? What's MPS?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:49 am

138BCL wrote:Of those folks include spouses and children of Singapore citizens too? What's MPS?
Yes, since the 2010 election, foreign spouses / children of citizens are often being "recommended" to go -> LTVP/LTVP+ -> after 3 years -> PR.

With LTVP there's option to get medical insurance and such plus, with approval, they can find work.

Spouse of SC are placed in local quota, for MOM quota purposes, which makes employing Spouse of Sc attractive for employers, should they need to find jobs.

But that shouldn't stop you from applying for PR, as you "may" be one of those Singapore wants to get back ...

Like those medical professionals who are given money to come back to Singapore.

MPS = Meet the people session with MP.

138BCL

Post by 138BCL » Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks. PR application has been submitted and nowadays I do get a sense that the government does want to do something for non-citizen spouses and children of citizens. But as you say selection criteria and decision times are sufficiently opaque and on a case by case basis.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 29 Nov 2015 9:52 am

138BCL wrote:Thanks. PR application has been submitted and nowadays I do get a sense that the government does want to do something for non-citizen spouses and children of citizens. But as you say selection criteria and decision times are sufficiently opaque and on a case by case basis.
The idea was to stifle marriages of convenience, which may still happen.

My 2 cents is, if you agree to LTVP, ICA may see it as favourable instead of insisting on PR ...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 7:47 pm

For the record, OP sent me a PM a while ago. He has gotten PR for his family and will be here in 2 to 3 months and thanks the forum for all the help. Good stuff. Like Saint, you can still get PR before you come here if all is right. And congrats to 138BCL's Family and welcome back to Singapore 138BCL!

Gotlucky

Post by Gotlucky » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:56 pm

Hey. I wanted to apply for Singapore PR via ica website. So after I entered my FIN number they show my a calender but I don't see any available date for this year. So does that mean I only can apply next year?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Apr 2016 1:21 am

Pretty Observant, you are. You can, however, check the availability every morning and maybe catch a drop out. But remember you can only change twice after that you are going to have to start over. Make sure you have all your paperwork down to the last sheet BEFORE you go shopping for new appointment dates.

leongwtt

Post by leongwtt » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 8:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Pretty Observant, you are. You can, however, check the availability every morning and maybe catch a drop out. But remember you can only change twice after that you are going to have to start over. Make sure you have all your paperwork down to the last sheet BEFORE you go shopping for new appointment dates.
hi i would appreciate your opinion.. my wife's father who just became a grandpa this year, is 55 and has been working in singapore for 10 years, he's married to a singaporean. do you think it will be too old for him to apply for PR?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 8:36 am

Quoting ICA: "25. I am above 50 years old. Am I still eligible to apply for SPR? You may submit an application for our consideration. Each application is considered on its own merits."

So ICA's answer is no, he is not too old to apply. Whether he's too old to be approved is a separate question, and only ICA knows the answer to that question.

leongwtt

Post by leongwtt » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 8:52 am

BBCWatcher wrote:Quoting ICA: "25. I am above 50 years old. Am I still eligible to apply for SPR? You may submit an application for our consideration. Each application is considered on its own merits."

So ICA's answer is no, he is not too old to apply. Whether he's too old to be approved is a separate question, and only ICA knows the answer to that question.
thanks bbcwatcher.

i also hope to apply pr with wife. can i clarify this part on explanatory notes in form 4A

"Death certificate and divorce certificate and the custody papers for the children in respect of applicant's/spouse/s prevous marriages (if any)"

My wife is the dependent while I'm the main applicant. Does that sentence only refer to main applicant or does the dependent also need to produce divorce cert if she has?