Singapore Expats

EP pending approval

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Mohd119

EP pending approval

Post by Mohd119 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:03 pm

Iam from india and have been offered a job in singapore. My Application for EP was submitted online by my employer on 12th November. The current status is pending input from vetting agencies. Is this a normal process these days. It is showing the same status since last 8 days. How long will it take for approval? I believe there will be no rejections from now. I have gone through old blogs of 2011 and 2012 where some cases took more than a month for approval. Does this happen now

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: EP pending approval

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:38 pm

Mohd119 wrote:. Does this happen now
Yes,

Though last month a couple of Indians joining a sister company had their pass approved in less than a week.

Mohd119

Re: EP pending approval

Post by Mohd119 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:35 pm

Any idea how long it takes to get the approval exactly for people from india

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: EP pending approval

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:40 pm

Mohd119 wrote:Any idea how long it takes to get the approval exactly for people from india

From previous posts from this forum, the MoM picks random applications for further scrutiny from university. It could take a month or more until your university replies. I think you are unlucky.

Are you from Hyderabad,by any chance? I know Hyderabad has highest cases of fake degrees and experience and even employers in India do additional scrutiny for candidates from Hyderabad.

My advice is don't leave your current job, this could take very long and your SG employer may not wait that long.

Mohd119

Post by Mohd119 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:45 pm

Nope.. from karnataka.. I did bachelor of engineering from a reputed university in karnataka. So vetting process takes more than a month is it.. is this the final stage?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:56 pm

Mohd119 wrote:Nope.. from karnataka.. I did bachelor of engineering from a reputed university in karnataka. So vetting process takes more than a month is it.. is this the final stage?
Yes it does take more than a month depending on univ. My university is also in Karnataka. It is the old university, before VTU. Although MoM never vetted my document. Whenever I change company(banking) the employer does vetting, through agencies and they always have problems getting response from my univ. It's a nightmare whenever I change jobs.

Mohd119

Post by Mohd119 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 1:01 pm

Oh. Mine is VTU :(. I heard vtu is slow to respond.. any idea how long it takes for vtu. Wat is the total duration taken for u each time.. thanks a lot for your quick response

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 1:20 pm

I have no idea how long it takes. But I am pretty sure, it takes more than a month. In my case the vetting always happened after I joined the company and in the last 2 cases it was like even after 3 months after joining, they were still asking me questions about my university and told me 1 agency had problems with contacting my univ and so they were hiring another agency. I didn't come to know about the outcome, they didn't tell me. May be the univ came back may be not and may be my employers didn't bother.

Sorry can't help you much, except that, be prepared. If agency is not able to get the verification done, your application can get stuck for a very long time.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:04 am

Mohd119 wrote:I did bachelor of engineering from a reputed university in karnataka.
Just to provide some friendly advice to aid your professional career prospects, in standard American and British English this sentence is quite funny and consequently not helpful. A "reputed university" is an institution that might or might not be a university. We're not sure, and more importantly you're not sure. It's only "reputed" to be a university; there's doubt. Since you wrote it, you have doubt. The dictionary definition of reputed is "reported or supposed to be such." So you wrote that you received a bachelor's degree from some place that is, according to you, supposed to be a university (of no particular quality or reputation) -- but you cannot confirm that it is, in fact, a university.

I assume that's not what you meant. ;) The word you probably wanted to use was "reputable." A reputable university is an actual university -- there's no serious doubt! -- with a (positive) reputation.

That said, I would be careful about using reputable in this context. The word can be underwhelming -- damning with faint praise. Every university should be at least reputable -- it's a low standard. (Would you want to see a doctor who is not reputable?) One alternative approach is simply to name the specific university. If it's a university with a distinguished reputation, the reader should already know the university's reputation or at least be able to ascertain its reputation without much difficulty. For example, if you received a degree from Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, say so. Let's assume you're not in that position, so read on for some other suggestions.

If you're simply trying to say that your university is "genuine" and not fake (if that's the best you can say), then your best bet is probably "an accredited university" (assuming that's true). Accreditation requires that the university meet a minimum quality standard based on the accreditation agency's criteria, and that's better than nothing at least. If there's a well respected accrediting agency that provided its seal of approval, then mention the name of the agency. I have no idea which accrediting agency in India is internationally well respected, but let's suppose such an agency is known as "ABCU." In that case you could write: "an ABCU-accredited university." (But if another agency, let's call it HGHU, has a much stronger reputation, then ABCU-accredited might be a negative. Ideally the accrediting agency is the best one, and then you should name it.)

If it's a top university -- meaning it genuinely ranks nationally (or internationally) at least among the top third in terms of quality based on a well recognized ranking -- then say "top university" or "nationally top ranked university." You can even quantify that expression -- for example, "a university ranked among India's top 15%."

Always be truthful of course. If you assert that your university is among the top 15% you must be able to prove it. If it's not true, don't write it.

Anyway, sorry to digress a bit here, but I thought I could provide some useful advice. I've seen "reputed university" many, many times, and it's, well, nonsense. I don't recommend using that expression. Even if you have to write "a university in Karnataka" it's better than "a reputed university" -- assuming you received a degree from a real university, of course. :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:13 am

BBCWatcher wrote:. I don't recommend using that expression. Even if you have to write "a university in Karnataka" it's better than "a reputed university" -- assuming you received a degree from a real university, of course. :D
My friend, you gotta learn about (probably) the world's largest output of graduates and post graduates. = India.

Each state may have like a hundred plus university out of which a dozen are reputed. Examples include REC, IIT and the likes, as well as those listed in SMC (for medical recognition) and unsurprisingly a lot of universities are recognized by SMC, which may sound scary for those who constantly say Indian education system is just a degree mill. And, in the medical line, there are universities in India that are given full recognition in Singapore, vs a few US Universities which aren't. That means something right ?

And how good are they ? Take REC, where my cousin studied. 90% of his classmates were offered scholarships to go to US by US universities for further studies and research, even before they had completed their course. That's how good the best are. And very few refused the offers. And there was a time when Singapore's NUS and NTU were aggressively offering seats for Indian students, under SIA and other scholarships, for masters and Doctorate.

And back to Universities, then there are universities that award degrees conducted by third party / private colleges, and what matters here is not the college, but the university that is awarding the degree. And while there are a few hundred universities, again, a handful are really reputed, and the term 'reputed' does mean something.

So perish the thought that India is a large degree mill.

Yes, there are enough dubious degree suppliers, considering the volume of students and demand, and that doesn't make all of ém dodgy.

Pardon me, if the above sounded very dodgy.

And for why not say which Uni ? It's not hard for most Indians to figure out which uni, if you mention the state and city, as, for most cities, it's just one or two which are really reputed. Example, Pondichery, if a guy says he is a Medical Student from Pondichery, 99% will know which Uni he is talking about ..

PS, Sub Cons are very proud of everything in their country, and that includes the world's best country, best prime minister, best this and that, and includes the world's best education system (including those degree mills .. ;) )

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:34 am

I'm quite aware of all that, Ecureilx. But that's not helpful or new information to Mohd119 and others in similar positions. In fact, one way to start to solve that gigantic problem is for individuals like Mohd119 to communicate more clearly and truthfully, in standard American/British/international English, what their actual credentials are (and are not). Otherwise everybody loses -- except, perhaps, the fraudsters running dodgy degree mills.

Prospective employers (and visa granting agencies) are not, as a rule, stupid. They know what's going on in India and the rampant academic fraud. If Mohd119 (and others) are going to have any hope for a better future they'll need to become better informed about what actual academic quality is, how to communicate it clearly and truthfully, and how to avoid falling victim to academic fraudsters. Maybe I'm more optimistic than you are, but I also had all these ideas in mind when providing this advice.

Or, if you prefer a less genteel approach for whatever reason, I'm informing Mohd119 of the harsh reality that anybody with reasonable English proficiency (most employers, for example) would throw "reputed university" CVs in the trash. At least I would.

....I think you don't know what the word "reputed" means either. Go on, check the dictionary. I'll wait. ;) In Indian English perhaps it means something else, but it has only one meaning in standard American and British English.
Last edited by BBCWatcher on Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:51 am

BBCWatcher wrote:I'm quite aware of all that, Ecureilx. But that's not helpful or new information to Mohd119 and others in similar positions. In fact, one way to start to solve that gigantic problem is for individuals like Mohd119 to communicate more clearly and truthfully, in standard American/British/international English, what their actual credentials are (and are not). Otherwise everybody loses -- except, perhaps, the fraudsters running dodgy degree mills.

Prospective employers (and visa granting agencies) are not, as a rule, stupid. They know what's going on in India and the rampant academic fraud. If Mohd119 (and others) are going to have any hope for a better future they'll need to become better informed about what actual academic quality is, how to communicate it clearly and truthfully, and how to avoid falling victim to academic fraudsters. Maybe I'm more optimistic than you are, but I also had all these ideas in mind when providing this advice.

Or, if you prefer a less gentile approach for whatever reason, I'm informing Mohd119 of the harsh reality that anybody with reasonable English proficiency (most employers, for example) would throw "reputed university" CVs in the trash. At least I would.

....I think you don't know what the word "reputed" means either. Go on, check the dictionary. I'll wait. ;) In Indian English perhaps it means something else, but it has only one meaning in standard American and British English.
Two problems I see:

1) You expect a forum member to reveal intimate details in an anonymous forum
2) You assume he's gonna put "reputed university" in his applications.

Good Lord, I give up.

PS, If I maybe allowed to quote this again, considering the volume of English speakers in India, there is more than one way to categorise English: 1) British (the original) 2) American (the not so original) and 3) Indian (better than the original)

Quote- from a conversation with an Indian call center, where the agent said "INDIANS SPEAK THE CORRECT ENGLISH, After all, there's too many of them speaking in one style, vs the rest of the world, in terms of volume" Try disputing that.
BBCWatcher wrote:Prospective employers (and visa granting agencies) are not, as a rule, stupid. They know what's going on in India and the rampant academic fraud..
Rampant academic fraud ? oh no, what's your beef against Indians ? :P :P (double Pun intended)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:14 am

ecureilx wrote:1) You expect a forum member to reveal intimate details in an anonymous forum
I think your reading comprehension is lacking, Ecureilx. And not infrequently.
2) You assume he's gonna put "reputed university" in his applications.
I do, or at least I consider that a risk of sufficient probability to merit a comment.
PS, If I maybe allowed to quote this again, considering the volume of English speakers in India, there is more than one way to categorise English: 1) British (the original) 2) American (the not so original) and 3) Indian (better than the original)
Not if you're applying for a position where the recipient of your CV is reasonably proficient in standard British, American, or international English. If you're applying for a position where the recipient of your CV is OK with "reputed" as meaning "reputable" (at best, not its most common dictionary meaning) and is impressed (or at least not put off) by your inclusion of "a reputed/reputable university" in your CV, go for it.

But if I get "reputed university" in a CV or in an inquiry for a position it's going in the trash. Take my advice as you wish if you wish.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:32 am

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:1) You expect a forum member to reveal intimate details in an anonymous forum
I think your reading comprehension is lacking, Ecureilx. And not infrequently.
Gee, thanks for the compliment, I needed if pretty badly. Vs a wise gentlemen (i.e. you) who can really nitpick each and every word in a forum post, and micro analyse it to the last letter.

And I need a chill pill, and reminder to self that this is a public forum, and not an ongoing job interview !!!! Or rather, remind myself, to behave, lest I be terminated from this forum.

And, My Lord, you are perfectly right, or perfecto, or correcto (whatever rocks your boat ... )

I agree, My English is extremely substandard and my comprehension of English is horrible/terrible/miserable, vs Yours of extremely high standards.

Are you an English teacher by any chance ?

Maybe the mods should introduce "REPUTATION" points, a-la other forums, for the standard of English, points for likes received etc ;) So my posts become worthless.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:48 am

I wouldn't have too many reputation points with my Barnyard English then. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers