Singapore Expats

[REJECTED AFTER 2 MONTHS] PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fullhouse3010

[REJECTED AFTER 2 MONTHS] PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Post by fullhouse3010 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 4:58 pm

Dear All,

I have been following this forum for quite some time.
any seniors who have gone thru the same, appreciate that u could give me urs two-cent thoughts.

Background:

Vietnamese / 23 yrs old Female
Came here since 15 yrs old and studied Sec 3, Sec 4 then O levels then moving on to poly. Graduated from Poly. Been working for 2 yrs, in tanker chartering industry. I'm currently holding Spass, and filed tax once.
Though i'm not Chinese, I can speak mandarin well :D :D:D this is what my frens say so ya haha.

My appointment is this month end. What do u think of my chance of approval? FYI I never apply PR before.

Many thanks in advance :) :D :)
Last edited by fullhouse3010 on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 8:46 pm

If recent outcomes of which I have close, first had knowledge of, I honestly don't have much hope.

I had one employee who was just rejected for the 2nd time. around 35 years old, Burmese, working for me for over 5 years on S pass. Single. Recently got her Masters Dgree from Kaplan (did whole thing part time while working for me). Rejected last month.

Second case, my accounting clerk, 30 years old, degree in accounting from French University (she is Vietnamese). been working for me for 3 years. Married to a Vietnamese SPR lecturer at one of the Universities here for 3 years. Last January converted from S pass to LoC under the new LTVP benefits for "foreign" spouses of SPRs. Currently childless. Rejected last week.

I wish you good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:19 pm

fullhouse3010 wrote:I'm currently holding Spass, and filed tax once.
In ICA's Explanatory Notes to Form 4A, section 7, paragraph (i) ICA requests "Income Tax Notices of Assessment for the last 3 years" (or written permission to obtain those tax records from IRAS).

That's 3 years. ICA does not prohibit PR applications from individuals who cannot supply 3 years of tax records, but in my view one really ought to assume every single word in their instructions is important.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:35 pm

BBCWatcher wrote: That's 3 years. ICA does not prohibit PR applications from individuals who cannot supply 3 years of tax records, but in my view one really ought to assume every single word in their instructions is important.
And it also doesn't mean they will throw away the application if the 3 years NOA isn't there...

It's called case by case, and you and me wouldn't know if OPs profile matches what ICA is looking for, as of now..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:12 pm

For the record, that can mean as little as 25 months if residency started in December of the first year. 12 months in the second year, 12 months in the 3rd year. It says 3 years tax returns, not paid income taxes. It's possible to not have any tax liability and be on an S pass if you are making the minimum sum required to obtain said pass. As tax assessment only means filing said returns or be able to show that IRAS notified you that actual submission is not required due to no tax liability if you work for an employer who is on the auto-inclusion scheme with IRAS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: RE: Re: PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 8:19 am

ecureilx wrote:It's called case by case, and you and me wouldn't know if OPs profile matches what ICA is looking for, as of now..
Right. So let's consider this logically. Here's how I'd phrase the decision process.

If the application is from an individual with truly exceptional characteristics sufficient to overcome the unambiguous deficiency (lack of 3 years of assessments) and if the applicant is in a huge rush to try to obtain Permanent Residency and cannot simply wait a couple years, then the applicant might consider ignoring that part of the ICA's instructions, and still with no guarantees.

Nobody really knows exactly how ICA defines "truly exceptional characteristics," but each applicant can take his/her own guess. However, "truly exceptional characteristics" and "in a huge rush" is undoubtedly a very rare combination. Employers are typically loathe to lose an employee with truly exceptional characteristics, and even in the event an employer has difficulties another employer is typically eager to hire someone with truly exceptional characteristics. Moreover, there is already a path to PR for many individuals with truly exceptional characteristics: the Global Investor Programme.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 8:28 am

BBCWatcher wrote:. Moreover, there is already a path to PR for many individuals with truly exceptional characteristics: the Global Investor Programme.
I know folks who went to apply PR 6 months after they arrived in Singapore and they didn't go through the GIP program. And they got it.

Because they weren't investors ...

If I read your long post, those who can't wait 3 years have to opt for the GIP route, am I correct ?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 8:38 am

I don't think what I wrote is particularly difficult to comprehend. I don't think ICA's instructions are particularly difficult to comprehend either.

To summarize, ICA makes its requests. If you cannot satisfy one or more of their requests, in my view you better have a "damn good reason." A few people do.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: PR APPLICATION CHANCES

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:20 am

BBCWatcher wrote:. Moreover, there is already a path to PR for many individuals with truly exceptional characteristics: the Global Investor Programme.
To rephrase it, I don't understand the above quote ... if a person is talented, he has to go via GIP ? You mean via the Investor program ????

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 4:02 pm

BBCW, Exceptional Characteristics is a bit different than an exceptionally deep wallet. A Noble prize winner can be a 16 year old girl, not rich by any means, but with exceptional characteristics and they'd roll out the red carpet for her. I rather think that is what they are saying. But I tend to agree with your oblique reference and linquistic acrobatics but most won't cotton to what you are saying. Especially here, where a large number of our 'new' readers (you know the ones I'm talking about) are looking for answers that dovetail into preconceived answers and get bent when they don't hear what they want. You also have to spell it out very clearly in single syllable words if possible.

Squirrel, don't forget, it's only BBCW's view. Not necessarily what "is" on the ground. We all have our individual views based on our own anecdotal evidence or in some cases, pipe-dreams.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 9:14 am

Read every single word. Including especially what ICA wrote. For example, if I included the word "many," please assume I did so for a reason. Likewise, if ICA requests 3 years of tax assessments (they do), I recommend you take their request seriously.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, don't forget, it's only BBCW's view. Not necessarily what "is" on the ground. We all have our individual views based on our own anecdotal evidence or in some cases, pipe-dreams.
+1

I know a guy, who joined a semi-government agency. His HR asked him to apply for PR after 6 months, and the guy was like 'I am not able to fulfil the requirements ... ' and nearly started to argue with his HR. Ah, well, what does the HR folks know, vs the ICA folks black and white requirements.

His HR sort of told him to just apply, and indirectly hinted his pass may not be renewed if he didn't even apply, and guess what, he got his PR 1 year or so later.

And he wasn't the flavor of the month/year, in terms of ethnicity.

Likewise, a Indonesian colleague in my previous work place, applied with 1 years NOA. He too got it. While all his colleagues were against him applying, including a Malaysian who insisted that it will be 100% rejection, if he applied so soon.

My point it, don't get your hopes high if you don't meet all the requirements.

On the other hand, nearly a dozen + friends and colleagues from Sub Con and PH were summarily rejected, even after attaching 3 NOA and more than enough 'good words' from community etc.
BBCWatcher wrote:Read every single word. Including especially what ICA wrote. For example, if I included the word "many," please assume I did so for a reason. Likewise, if ICA requests 3 years of tax assessments (they do), I recommend you take their request seriously.
Yes, My Lord. We shall follow every word, to the letter :D :D

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:BBCW, Exceptional Characteristics is a bit different than an exceptionally deep wallet.
I did not suggest otherwise.
But I tend to agree with your oblique reference and linquistic acrobatics but most won't cotton to what you are saying.
I don't think I was particularly oblique or acrobatic, but thank you. ;)

To review:

(a) Read the f**king instructions ICA provides.
(b) If you cannot follow ICA's (simple) instructions, if you want anything other than a PR rejection you better have a damn good reason why you didn't, including a damn good reason why you're applying early.

Is that oblique enough? :D

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 8:58 pm

You have a good chance as any. You're young and if you have potential then yeah why not. If you're older but have achieved, then also yes.

Good luck!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:49 pm

From the horses' mouth @ ICA.
Top 5 Most Popular FAQs

Permanent Resident Services

How long should she stay before becoming a Singapore Citizen?
What is the processing time for my PR application
Can I apply for SPR immediately after working here?

You can submit an application for consideration as long as you have been issued with a P, Q or S Work Pass.
The operative words here are "for consideration" which doesn't mean you will get PR, or even to 1st base with the application. But that is normal will all MOM and ICA applications. This prevents receiving Tailor Made applications from showing up.