Singapore Expats

Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
nakatago

Re: Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Post by nakatago » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 1:39 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
at.evolue wrote:Imagine how good it feels when people stop pissing you off with the same qns over and over.
I do believe there is a thread.. http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=103156
8-[
Happens all the time in stackoverflow. Someone asks a question and here are the standard replies:

* don't ask other people to do your homework for you
* duplicate/already asked before; you should search first before asking
* question is not productive/trolling

The same can be said here.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

at.evolue

Post by at.evolue » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 1:59 pm

Maybe the person did do the search but got info overloaded and got confused. Im sure there are lots of lazy people who cannot be bothered to read everything. But for that handful who genuinely need help... besides the purpose of this site is to provide all info at zero cost, with the best intention.

Think about it, everyday more stuff gets thrown in... the amount of info to run through piles on by the day. How much must be read to be enough?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 2:26 pm

Raj,

That's too much trouble for Ms. at.evolue. She didn't bother to use the search facility either. So, because she's pee'd off at me due to the fact that I wouldn't let her flog her app on the forum, she would rather take pot shots at me. =D>

All she is doing is ensuring the next time I catch her trying to advertise or if it even smells like it, she will be history and I don't think it will be too far away. :-({|=
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

at.evolue

Post by at.evolue » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 2:45 pm

How funny, Sundaymorningstaple.

I do not have an app. I told you before but somehow u overlooked it. Shows how easy it is to overlook things when there's too much to read huh.

Out of good intention (yes yes I know how u think Singaporeans dont do things with the heart... and u may be right, but u may not be as well) I merely suggested u could use it to convenient all the people u r purporting to help, but u said nothing comes free and easy, and u will have to pay at some point.

Of course not everything is free. But nobody is forcing anyone to pay. If a person uses something and decides that its worth the money and pays for it, that's his choice. If the world thought like u, then there will be no innovation, no opportunities, no progress.

Technology has made so many things free and accessible, why not just try? Look at the app store, u get everything u can ever dream of, at nearly zero cost - I have so many apps that helped me so much in all areas and I only paid less than SGD$10 in all my apple life.

And I dunno how many times I need to repeat this: I am NOT here to sell u guys anything. I want to solve your problem, and sell the solutions to another bunch of people. That's the only reason I'm trolling this site.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 2:52 pm

at.evolue wrote: besides the purpose of this site is to provide all info at zero cost, with the best intention.
agreed, then again, throwing a very open ended question, expecting the regular contributors to filter for you, I am so sorry, personally I feel that's asking too much

Now, if somebody asked something like "I prefer Jurong East. I am considering Street 74. How is the traffic in the morning hours, heading to IBP around 8 AM ? Would I be able to cycle" or something like that ..

Or, say "I am firmly convinced East Coast Bayshore area is great to live. But I am worried about commute time to Raffles Place. Does anybody have any suggestion, other than the shuttle service ?

Instead of 'tell me where I should live, and what I should look out for, tell me .. '

Or maybe I am totally wrong !

at.evolue

Post by at.evolue » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 3:03 pm

Ecurelix,

Fair enough. I get wat u mean.

I noticed that the way qns are posed differ from regions. Like for caucasians, the explanation is a lot more thorough and detailed, whereas those from asian countries are more vague.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. Like asians are brought up to not say too much, not to impose their opinions on anyone... and so they dont expect pp to bother going into detail wat they request for. They try to skim things down, if ever they do speak.

Maybe.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 3:43 pm

one can't really make a questionnaire on what to Bring to Singapore from Mumbai..A person has to make a list of things and post them and say here what do you think?
and then maybe someone can say you don't need items 2,5,18 or are we going to second guess OP's wishlist?

Any suggestions with what to expect in which area would be welcome.
Jurong (E), Boon Lay, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi and Bukit Timah - > boredom

Is there a checklist of items that I should be carrying along from Mumbai?
yes - you have to make it

I'll probably need an adapter for the electronics. What other critical items am I missing out?
1. Adaptor
2. common sense
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 4:33 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
I'll probably need an adapter for the electronics. What other critical items am I missing out?
1. Adaptor
2. common sense
From my understanding, you don't need item 2 if you have a Masters from a Reputed University.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 4:37 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Any suggestions with what to expect in which area would be welcome.
Malaysia, Malaysia, Malaysia .. !!

I can't think of anything else in those areas .. atleast for Jurong East, Boon Lay and CCK !!!

Wait, OP needs to bring his passport .. !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 5:50 pm

This always happens on a Friday :-D
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

kapilankar

Post by kapilankar » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 6:15 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: Any suggestions with what to expect in which area would be welcome.

Is there a checklist of items that I should be carrying along from Mumbai?
yes - you have to make it

1. Adaptor
2. common sense
@rajagainstthemachine
Thank you :)

The reason for choosing these areas was the proximity to the workplace and nothing else. I have not yet been to the island and hence practically have no idea what to expect there w.r.t. people.

As far as the checklist is concerned, I'll make one for sure and share it. But there's still time for that. At least 3 more weeks.

Adapter v/s Adaptor: Got it!

Common Sense: Not very common these days I'm afraid. You might see me as a textbook case for the lack of one ;)

Also, I did go through the thread you pointed out. What I felt was that that thread featured more information about people moving with families and more concerned about weather they should be carrying a fridge, tv, sofaset and what not ... I expect myself to be comfortable without these things.

The notion of Singapore as a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural hodgepodge felt so comforting; for all practical purposes I can very comfortably live there even if I moved in with only a backpack full of material. Or am I mistaken and seeing this with my rose-tinted glasses?

kapilankar

Post by kapilankar » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 6:16 pm

ecureilx wrote: Wait, OP needs to bring his passport .. !!!
And the EP ...

kapilankar

Post by kapilankar » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 6:20 pm

ecureilx wrote: Now, if somebody asked something like "I prefer Jurong East. I am considering Street 74. How is the traffic in the morning hours, heading to IBP around 8 AM ? Would I be able to cycle" or something like that ..

Or, say "I am firmly convinced East Coast Bayshore area is great to live. But I am worried about commute time to Raffles Place. Does anybody have any suggestion, other than the shuttle service ?
All in good time ... I'll at least need some on-ground knowledge of the place before I can ask such specific questions. Again, apologies for being too generic.

nakatago

Re: RE: Re: Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Post by nakatago » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 6:35 pm

kapilankar wrote:The notion of Singapore as a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural hodgepodge felt so comforting; for all practical purposes I can very comfortably live there even if I moved in with only a backpack full of material. Or am I mistaken and seeing this with my rose-tinted glasses?
A month.

After a month.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

at.evolue

Post by at.evolue » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 6:53 pm

The solution has become the problem.

Why do you keep doing the same thing and expect the situation to change, one fine day, when you are doing said same thing?

All you have to do is write all that you'vre written about these issues, streamlined into concise points, and put it somewhere conspicuous so that

1. Nobody has to ever ask u again
2. You never have to rewrite these stuff umpteen times
3. You stop getting frustrated.
4. You actually really help people.
5. Pp dont have to go through tons of chats where most of wat transpired are convos between u guys, just for info about where to live, what to bring.

I could go on about the benefits...