Singapore Expats

REP Renewal from Overseas

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
prashanthrbit

REP Renewal from Overseas

Post by prashanthrbit » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Folks,

My REP expires on June 2016 and I will reside outside Singapore from September 2015 to September 2016. I would be in US on a Student Visa during this period. Will I face any issues with my REP renewal when I do it sometime during March 2016 ? I would be unemployed from September 2015 onwards. Please advise.

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: REP Renewal from Overseas

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 7:30 pm

prashanthrbit wrote:Hi Folks,

My REP expires on June 2016 and I will reside outside Singapore from September 2015 to September 2016. I would be in US on a Student Visa during this period. Will I face any issues with my REP renewal when I do it sometime during March 2016 ? I would be unemployed from September 2015 onwards. Please advise.

Thanks
If you been out of town for more than 6 months, good luck ...

You may get a 1 year REP, at best ...unless you have family ties here.

Only ICA will know the actual decision

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: REP Renewal from Overseas

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 10:02 pm

Have you got a permanent residence in Singapore that you still use as an address? How many times have you previously renewed? Are you earning income taxable in Singapore?

If you are able to prove up you are on a temporary student assignment, I'd agree with ecurelix... you'll get a year so that they can see if you are sincere about remaining PR in Singapore. Otherwise, I think it will be no go for you.

prashanthrbit

Post by prashanthrbit » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 11:18 pm

I don't have a Permanent residence so I would be without address during the period of stay outside Singapore. I haven't renewed my REP previously & I won't be earning taxable income here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 11:48 pm

You are not likely to get a new REP unless you are doing a Masters Degree or a PhD and already have a work history in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

prashanthrbit

Post by prashanthrbit » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:05 am

Is there a criteria like if I had worked for 4 out of the the last 5 years in Singapore, will that help in REP renewal ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:50 am

prashanthrbit wrote:Is there a criteria like if I had worked for 4 out of the the last 5 years in Singapore, will that help in REP renewal ?
It's possible. You must prove up intent for the future. What kind of a job do you have lined up when you return? Are you doing the advanced degree as SMS has noted? The future is what matters, not the past.

Your timing could have certainly been better.

prashanthrbit

Post by prashanthrbit » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:02 pm

Hi, I would return and intend to work as a IT Project Manager in Singapore. And I'm planning to my Masters in Information Systems from USA.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:04 pm

What were you doing in Singapore before you went overseas?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

prashanthrbit

Post by prashanthrbit » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:20 pm

I'm working as a Project Manager currently and my last day of Employment here is 31 August. I have been working in Singapore on various IT roles since July 2010. Got my PR on June 2011

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 12:26 pm

If you will be planning on returning to the same employer, I think I would try to get a letter from the employer stating you will be on sabbatical to get further education and will be returning to Singapore subsequently with that employer (if that is the case). With that in mind, I don't think you will have any real problem except that they might only give you a 1 year re-entry permit just to ensure you do return. Small price to pay if you're sincere in your plans.

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:33 am

can you please elaborate? how does one show intent for a job that one doesnt even have?
Strong Eagle wrote:
prashanthrbit wrote:Is there a criteria like if I had worked for 4 out of the the last 5 years in Singapore, will that help in REP renewal ?
It's possible. You must prove up intent for the future. What kind of a job do you have lined up when you return? Are you doing the advanced degree as SMS has noted? The future is what matters, not the past.

Your timing could have certainly been better.