Singapore Expats

General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Election ...

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 27 Jul 2015 9:38 pm

I think everybody is playing safe, on the sensitive topics ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Jul 2015 9:58 pm

ecureilx wrote:I think everybody is playing safe, on the sensitive topics ...
What's sensistive about a party platform? Unless you're someone like the tea party... racist, anti-immigrant, xenophobic, anti-evolution, anti-education, pro government religion... who wants "their type" to implicitly understand... just don't want to write it down.

This is why Donald Trump is so popular... he says what others are thinking.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:35 pm

pap will win 85% of the seats easily.

they already performed the gerrymandering (well, how competent they did it, we'll see). so from there, you'll see a pap majority.

add to this the "nominated" guys (a very fascinating topic, for me), and you'll get a veeery comfortable majority. the fact they are holding the elections early probably means
a. must exploit lky's death while it's still warm (hot, it's no longer already)
b. some bumps in the road expected

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:41 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
This is why Donald Trump is so popular... he says what others are thinking.
trump is a reversal to the "classic" politician model. it's a little like marine le pen in france and nigel farage in the uk. their new model is to discuss openly sensitive topics (in opposition to the "classic politician model", where they discussed the sensitive issues behind closed doors). i do not know how competent to govern these people are (trump, etc). but i admit i believe we should have open discussions whenever needed, about sensitive topics.

this model will not work in sg. they are not ready for it.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 9:39 am

David Cameron in town the next couple of days...

Wonder if he will be giving the Prime Minister some tips on winning General Elections :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 5:42 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Folks, was looking at the Singapore People's Party website, SPP... other than they want a two party system, I can't see what their positions are on immigration, housing... anything. Any background?
I don't know how it works in SG, but back home an opposition party simply have to exist on the basis of not being the ruling party :) They do not reveal specifics of any manifesto until an election is called; when they fully expect the ruling party to do their utmost to discredit and demolish it. I.e. don't show your cards until you have to.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 5:47 pm

The PAP will win but I think for them it is important that they are seen as the *only* credible voice. I.e. no material opposition vote is tolerated. Any oppo's who survive the machine and win ... appear to quickly become discredited.

Maybe they'll turn the whole country into a single mega GRC.... hehehe ;)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: General Election ...

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 5:58 pm

JR8 wrote:The PAP will win but I think for them it is important that they are seen as the *only* credible voice. I.e. no material opposition vote is tolerated. Any oppo's who survive the machine and win ... appear to quickly become discredited.
If people play by the rules, they won't get discredited ...

Like CSJ publicly slandering GCT and when sued crying injustice, GCT said something like if you accuse somebody back it up with facts, if not, be ready to face the consequences.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:The PAP will win but I think for them it is important that they are seen as the *only* credible voice. I.e. no material opposition vote is tolerated. Any oppo's who survive the machine and win ... appear to quickly become discredited.

Like CSJ publicly slandering GCT and when sued crying injustice, GCT said something like if you accuse somebody back it up with facts, if not, be ready to face the consequences.
I am just not keen on using the courts for stuff like this. If the claims are what can only be considered as outrageous , like that Roy character, just shrug them off. Why go to court, it just looks petty.

Thats my opinion

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: General Election ...

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:15 pm

Barnsley wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

I am just not keen on using the courts for stuff like this. If the claims are what can only be considered as outrageous , like that Roy character, just shrug them off. Why go to court, it just looks petty.

Thats my opinion
CSJ accused GCT of billions stolen $ ..

Roy, well, since the days of CSJ and JBJ, things have mellowed down I guess....

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:44 pm

Well, in most Western countries this "slandering" of government bigshots is considered perfectly normal. (Just look at the kind of stuff Obama gets.) If the person doing the "slandering" is way off base, he will be pretty much laughed out of the building as his 'case' falls apart. There's no need to sue to protect your good name.

BTW, Strong Eagle, the SDP have a pretty clear articulation of their policies, vision and views on their website. In fact they claim that the men in white have ripped off many of their ideas over the years - after first slamming them for being unworkable.

This GE could be very interesting indeed.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:

if i am the one who makes the rules (and can change them at will during play) i can beat you no matter what we play :mrgreen:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 4:40 pm

Is election day a public holiday?

I cant remember from 2011

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 5:42 pm

Yes, polling day is a gazetted holiday.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 5:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes, polling day is a gazetted holiday.
Is it usually on a Saturday though , if so will the public holiday be moved to the Monday =D> =D> =D> =D>