Singapore Expats

Lee Kuan Yew

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lee Kuan Yew

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 11:31 am

earthfriendly wrote:
An interesting article on Amos Yee.

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/articl ... unkind-him
So in other words the society at large created a Monster .... not possibly his parents' laissez faire method of parenting ....

got it ....

Image Image

When do the parents accept responsibility for who they created ?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 1:27 pm

ecureilx wrote: not possibly his parents' laissez faire method of parenting ....

I am guilty as charged. Does it rest on the parents, society or both? I don't have the answer, my friend. It took me four decades to learn to get along with people better. Sometimes, all we need is time and a bit of trials and errors. And Amos Yee has got time on his side.

ecureilx wrote: When do the parents accept responsibility for who they created ?
Do they? I have a child who started questioning about life at around 6 year old and found it to be a bit meaningless and sometimes not worth the while. Could it be my fault? Could she have inherited my genes and could it be due to my heavy-heartedness air that has affected her during her daily interactions with me? And once again, my friend, I do not have the answers.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 9:55 pm

earthfriendly wrote: Do they? I have a child who started questioning about life at around 6 year old and found it to be a bit meaningless and sometimes not worth the while. Could it be my fault? Could she have inherited my genes and could it be due to my heavy-heartedness air that has affected her during her daily interactions with me? And once again, my friend, I do not have the answers.
Till the day Squirrel JR has grown up and puts me in a similar situation I would still say the parents make what or how their offspring is... instead of demanding the society adopt and accept such narcissistic disorder behavior or something like that .. (NDB is what one genius has named the disorder of Famous Amos)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:Till the day Squirrel JR has grown up and puts me in a similar situation I would still say the parents make what or how their offspring is... instead of demanding the society adopt and accept such narcissistic disorder behavior or something like that .. (NDB is what one genius has named the disorder of Famous Amos)
Wow you're not a fan eh, calling him a 'monster' in another post.

I see a super-bright youth. I've seen such precociousness before, and at his age, just not in an Asian youth. Watch a couple of his vids, I don't believe you can make that stuff up, his journey hasn't even started yet. He's already too big for Singapore, as the government have demonstrated.

Maybe there's some optimal 'mid' level that's net acceptable here. Bright enough to replace FT's, but not bright enough to have time pondering what locally is verboten/past the 'OB Markers'. Hmm...

Time to hire a couple more smart FT's, this local one is going nowhere here...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:45 pm

JR8 wrote: Wow you're not a fan eh, calling him a 'monster' in another post....
Ok, I didn't call him a Monster per se but wondered loudly if it's the fault of the society for him to have turned out as he is .... as some are saying it's the fault of the rest of the world ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:50 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote: Wow you're not a fan eh, calling him a 'monster' in another post....
From my tablet I can't find the thread where I supposedly called him a Monster Image
Out of context perhaps, but that's how it read...
ecureilx wrote:So in other words the society at large created a Monster ....
... perhaps you mean the 3rd-party popular perception is that he is, rather than your own ....

[Either way, this is the source of my comment 8-[ ]

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:33 am

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 05 May 2015 11:57 pm

A simple and uncomplicated wish and yet.
Mr Law feels that Amos just simply has to be himself.
http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/articl ... towards-me

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 11:37 am

Having had the pleasure of an extend talk with Mr Yew, a few things he said I found noteworthy:

"Our (Singapore) only path to success was to educate all of our children, even the girls."

"We knew that we would send them off to the west, Harvard, Oxford, and Yale, to continue their education."

"We also knew that they would want to stay there."

"We knew that we would ultimately be successful only when we could finally get them to come back. That took a long time but we finally succeeded."

The man was brilliant. Give some thought to his believes because he had a truly world view.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/t ... l#comments

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 07 Jul 2015 1:48 am

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/07 ... nswer-for/

"The treatment of Amos Yee is disgusting and should be abhorred by all right thinking people, especially parents of young children.................

Amos is out. He came out in T-shirt and shorts, clutching a bag of his belongings to his chest. He looked shell-shocked to me, shuffling and looking down at the ground.

He did not look or behave like the boy I met not long after he was first charged. That boy was smug and cocky. The boy today is silent and downcast."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Lee Kuan Yew

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Jul 2015 7:51 am

earthfriendly wrote: He did not look or behave like the boy I met not long after he was first charged. That boy was smug and cocky. The boy today is silent and downcast."
And he decided to appeal his back dated sentence .. in case you missed it ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Jul 2015 8:44 am

earthfriendly wrote:http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/07 ... nswer-for/

"The treatment of Amos Yee is disgusting and should be abhorred by all right thinking people, especially parents of young children.................

Amos is out. He came out in T-shirt and shorts, clutching a bag of his belongings to his chest. He looked shell-shocked to me, shuffling and looking down at the ground.

He did not look or behave like the boy I met not long after he was first charged. That boy was smug and cocky. The boy today is silent and downcast."
It is wrong to put a 16yo in jail for something like this. It is not wrong to discipline him. Probably NS-like thing could be the best option if available. Assuming he is mentally ok.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jul 2015 8:50 am

x9200 wrote: Assuming he is mentally ok.
Personally, I think that would be a wrong assumption. But then again, the phychologist did find him okay. So, based on that assumption, I would have to assume that he knows precisely what he is doing and why, so therefore should reap the just rewards of his actions. My father joined the Navy and 16 and landed on Okinawa during the invasion landing as a medic. I joined the Army at 17 and spend 18 months in the NAM as a chopper pilot. At 16, you are an adult as far as I'm concerned and should be treated accordingly.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Jul 2015 9:03 am

I think it is about the maturing average. Some 16yo are already mature, some not (much more variation than at around 18 yo).
And with the army and tougher times it's a paradox: a 16yo voluntary joining is likely to be mature and disciplined enough so he does not need the army to shape him up in that respect.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 08 Jul 2015 9:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:At 16, you are an adult as far as I'm concerned and should be treated accordingly.
I disagree. Because that used to be the case, but is no more. At 16 you had to be self-reliant, and potentially a household bread-winner.

These days, youths are encouraged to remain in education until at least 18, if not 21. In this respect times have definitely changed.