Singapore Expats

Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 6:06 pm

menudown wrote:maybe she prefer to spend time overseas to enjoy and take advantage of the exchange rate :mrgreen:
but cross finger.. if should anything bad happen while she's overseas .. you will have a bigger problem
But its not gonna be 6 $ only ..

I would wonder who spends just 6 $ .. :P

Make it about 100$ plus per visit

Of course if the boss paid her well, monthly visit to the branded stores and Lego land and such is perfectly acceptable ...

Or her 'benefactor ... ,' :lol::lol:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 7:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
menudown wrote:maybe she prefer to spend time overseas to enjoy and take advantage of the exchange rate :mrgreen:
but cross finger.. if should anything bad happen while she's overseas .. you will have a bigger problem
But its not gonna be 6 $ only ..

I would wonder who spends just 6 $ .. :P

Make it about 100$ plus per visit

Of course if the boss paid her well, monthly visit to the branded stores and Lego land and such is perfectly acceptable ...

Or her 'benefactor ... ,' :lol::lol:
Sorry ecureilx, but I think with your talent even the most mature and trustful maid is in a serious risk turning into a *beep*. The fact is, this maid so far hasn't done anything to breach the trust and she behaves like an adult so that's how she should be treated. She can get pregnant, work illegally and do heaps of other stupid things and she does not need to leave Singapore for it.

RedRidingHood

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by RedRidingHood » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:51 am

I think the new rule states that you will not lose your security deposit should your helper be pregnant. The only issue is you have to send her home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:27 am

x9200 wrote:The fact is, this maid so far hasn't done anything to breach the trust and she behaves like an adult so that's how she should be treated. She can get pregnant, work illegally and do heaps of other stupid things and she does not need to leave Singapore for it.
Just for the sake of argument, as I presume she is not a new arrival in Singapore, and that she took the liberty to go to Batam and Indonesia, without telling her boss, means how much she has trusted the employer .. or not.

Agreed, she can get into trouble in Singapore, without crossing the border.
RedRidingHood wrote:I think the new rule states that you will not lose your security deposit should your helper be pregnant. The only issue is you have to send her home.
Well, the fear that drivers most employers to the edge of paranoia, is, there is a clause that says the employer must take care of medical expenses etc etc. so if she has an accident or anything ontowards, it is the employers' responsibility to make sure it is paid

There was an employer who was left with a 100K Plus medical bill, which the standard insurance didn't cover, as she had an accident in Malaysia, and the struggling employer had no recourse.

And another, where the maid being new in Singapore, didn't want to work here and wanted to go back, and when she was in the care of the agent, she jumped out of the apartment, broke her legs, and the employer was left with a 50K plus bill. Per law, It is the employer's responsibility till she leaves Singapore.

And another, where the maid got pregnant, and had pre-eclampsia (I hope I got the spelling right .. ) and the employer had to pay a massive medical bill, before she could be repatriated, as doctors declared her unfit for travel.

Those are the worst case scenario, and out of the 200K plus maids in Singapore, those are negligible incidents, until you are in the receiving end :D :D

Of course, you can get a comprehensive medical insurance and cover for travel as well :p
menudown wrote:should be fine as long as she does not fail to return back within the off day
:-k :-k

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 12:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:The fact is, this maid so far hasn't done anything to breach the trust and she behaves like an adult so that's how she should be treated. She can get pregnant, work illegally and do heaps of other stupid things and she does not need to leave Singapore for it.
Just for the sake of argument, as I presume she is not a new arrival in Singapore, and that she took the liberty to go to Batam and Indonesia, without telling her boss, means how much she has trusted the employer .. or not.
Why do you think she has any moral or legal obligation to tell her boss she is going to Batam?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 3:03 pm

I don't see the problem with the maid leaving. It's quite cheap, and even if they're going with a friend/boyfriend, who cares? I doubt it is moonlighting/"working" as alluded to, if she were into that kind of freelance work she'd make a lot more money in Singapore.

I actually think if something "happens" to the maid while in Malaysia or Indonesia you'd have no legal liability at all. You're only legally obliged to repatriate her from Singapore. ICA and MOM won't care what happens outside of Singapore. (Now morally, is a different answer...)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 3:38 pm

zzm9980 wrote:.
I actually think if something "happens" to the maid while in Malaysia or Indonesia you'd have no legal liability at all.
Legally you are wrong there ...

You can consult any agency to confirm it ...

Ps, I am not hinting her of any illegal activity ... just to clarify ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 3:51 pm

x9200 wrote: Why do you think she has any moral or legal obligation to tell her boss she is going to Batam?
Agreed there is no obligation ...

But there is something called responsibility.

If I work for a boss who lets me hold my passport, when most bosses don't let me have it, I turn I should have something called responsibility and gratitude. And at the minimum let my boss know that I am leaving Singapore

Any maid who comes to work here is reminded by MOM that their presence here is to work and the agents remind the maids that they are not to get the employer into any trouble. And agents regularly remind the maids the dos and don'ts while working in Singapore ...

Is it inhuman or a form of modern slavery enforced by the government ? That's a different topic ...and I have said this before, if the maids find Singapore government's conditions very inhuman they can stay home. Nobody forced anybody to come here.

RedRidingHood

Post by RedRidingHood » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 4:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Agreed, she can get into trouble in Singapore, without crossing the border.
RedRidingHood wrote:I think the new rule states that you will not lose your security deposit should your helper be pregnant. The only issue is you have to send her home.
Well, the fear that drivers most employers to the edge of paranoia, is, there is a clause that says the employer must take care of medical expenses etc etc. so if she has an accident or anything ontowards, it is the employers' responsibility to make sure it is paid

There was an employer who was left with a 100K Plus medical bill, which the standard insurance didn't cover, as she had an accident in Malaysia, and the struggling employer had no recourse.

And another, where the maid being new in Singapore, didn't want to work here and wanted to go back, and when she was in the care of the agent, she jumped out of the apartment, broke her legs, and the employer was left with a 50K plus bill. Per law, It is the employer's responsibility till she leaves Singapore.

And another, where the maid got pregnant, and had pre-eclampsia (I hope I got the spelling right .. ) and the employer had to pay a massive medical bill, before she could be repatriated, as doctors declared her unfit for travel.

Those are the worst case scenario, and out of the 200K plus maids in Singapore, those are negligible incidents, until you are in the receiving end :D :D

Of course, you can get a comprehensive medical insurance and cover for travel as well :p
menudown wrote:should be fine as long as she does not fail to return back within the off day
:-k :-k
Seriously you guys are scaring me now ....

RedRidingHood

Post by RedRidingHood » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 4:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote: Why do you think she has any moral or legal obligation to tell her boss she is going to Batam?
Agreed there is no obligation ...

But there is something called responsibility.

If I work for a boss who lets me hold my passport, when most bosses don't let me have it, I turn I should have something called responsibility and gratitude. And at the minimum let my boss know that I am leaving Singapore

Any maid who comes to work here is reminded by MOM that their presence here is to work and the agents remind the maids that they are not to get the employer into any trouble. And agents regularly remind the maids the dos and don'ts while working in Singapore ...

Is it inhuman or a form of modern slavery enforced by the government ? That's a different topic ...and I have said this before, if the maids find Singapore government's conditions very inhuman they can stay home. Nobody forced anybody to come here.
To be fair, she is one of the better helpers I have had so far. I told her she could come home anytime as long as it is before midnight, and if she has to stay out after 9pm, to call and inform me as my entire family sleeps early. In the one year so far, she has never stayed out beyond 9pm.

I do find it strange that she did not mention at all that she was going/went to JB/Batam just as casual talk. But on the whole, she's quite a private person, so I thought maybe she's not close enough to us to "chat" with us.

RedRidingHood

Post by RedRidingHood » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 4:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:
I actually think if something "happens" to the maid while in Malaysia or Indonesia you'd have no legal liability at all.

Anyone with the answer?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 5:57 pm

RedRidingHood wrote: Anyone with the answer?
Rather than depend on what maybe seen as heresy, why not give a call to the agent ?

Unless your agent is a fly by night operator, and there are few of that category, they will clear your doubts and advice you properly ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 6:01 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:.
I do find it strange that she did not mention at all that she was going/went to JB/Batam just as casual talk. But on the whole, she's quite a private person, so I thought maybe she's not close enough to us to "chat" with us.
Maybe its not that bad .. don't feel too much, based on my worst case scenario example.

She really may have a sister, brother, cousin, uncle, aunty, or somebody there .... and in Jb as well ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 8:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Not at all. What obligation does a Singapore resident have to the governments of Malaysia or Indonesia over an unrelated third-person?

You have that third-world slavery mentality regarding domestic helpers that so many pig-headed locals have.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 8:08 pm

ecureilx wrote: If I work for a boss who lets me hold my passport, when most bosses don't let me have it, I turn I should have something called responsibility and gratitude. And at the minimum let my boss know that I am leaving Singapore
Gratitude that your employer is following the law and not illegally detaining you? No matter what the local norm may be, holding the passport is exactly that.