Singapore Expats

HOW TO DOWNLOAD CHILDREN'S MOVIES ?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

HOW TO DOWNLOAD CHILDREN'S MOVIES ?

Post by martincymru » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 1:54 pm

I am donating a laptop and large monitor so kids in small (poor) village in Philippines may watch films (movies).

Is there a legal way of downloading movies so I may save onto the laptop and they can then play/watch?

Kids 5-13 years of age.

I am not a technophile. Only have basic M1 modem (very unstable/slow).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 2:37 pm

Kids 5yr-13yr of age will definitely be able to figure it out on their own. :)

Ignoring legality, your network connection is not sufficient to download anything significant. The best you can do is:
1) Find movies / videos on Youtube, and then:
2) Use a website like keepvid.com to save the video to your local drive.

If the laptop has a DVD drive, just use DVDs and VCDs.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 3:28 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Kids 5yr-13yr of age will definitely be able to figure it out on their own. :)

Ignoring legality, your network connection is not sufficient to download anything significant. The best you can do is:
1) Find movies / videos on Youtube, and then:
2) Use a website like keepvid.com to save the video to your local drive.

If the laptop has a DVD drive, just use DVDs and VCDs.
youtube has some long videos, that are like 1 hour plus, that can be downloaded

I used Keepvid and works fine

Martin, in PH, pirated VCDs galore

If their objective is to see movies, they can find anywhere

If educational etc, only then would I wrack my brain to find a solution

Good job, btw.

Where in PH are you donating ?

Keep it up !

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I was also going to give them a history of Europe lesson, especially 2 world wars (my passion).

They are from a remote village in Luzon. They cannot even afford a mobile phone let alone the high tec other stuff. Evenings 6-8pm they are quite bored.

When I am there it's also a kind of education thing also.... Films, music, history of the UK etc. Not sure they would understand the Who's Quadrophenia but then that's maybe down to the presenter to make it relevant !

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 8:56 pm

Martin, use Youtube and Firefox extensions. There are plenty of them and they work fine. Just search (for video and youtube) the Adds-on within the Firefox adds-on finder and you will see them. I use frequently the following:
1) Youtube video and audio downloader
2) Downloadhelper (this one is universal one allowing downloads from many sites)

I do it most often over 3G mobile broadband and it is perfectly doable - check your data quota to avoid some extra fees.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:01 pm

martincymru wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I was also going to give them a history of Europe lesson, especially 2 world wars (my passion).

They are from a remote village in Luzon. They cannot even afford a mobile phone let alone the high tec other stuff. Evenings 6-8pm they are quite bored.
my 2 cents.

I will include a power stabilizer, considering the power fluctuations in Baguio, Bontoc, La Union area, which are horrible ..

you can pick it in any Ace or similar hardware stores.

cheaper than buying here and adding to your luggage

throw in some cheap LED screw type bulbs, considering the rocketing price of power .. the holder size is same as in Singapore, for replacing whatever they are using, most likely CFL.

I hope it isn't your first time there

PS, a side note .. no offense.

Philippines has loads of shops specializing in Cell phone and Laptop pawning!!

and you can pick up used nearly-new laptops pretty cheaper there itself

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: HOW TO DOWNLOAD CHILDREN'S MOVIES ?

Post by martincymru » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 2:04 pm

When I search for a movie on You Tube most of the full length films (hard to find full length anyway) say " click here....." Then I get another webpage open asking me to sign up etc.

Is there any website where I can simply view the film without having to click/open/sign up etc.?

I want to copy the URL to iLivid download manager.

An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyIjWM00DWY

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:17 pm

Again ignoring the legalities I have a 4 year old and have digitised all her DVD movies. You are welcome to them if you want I can put them on a USB stick. All in MP4 format.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 8:11 am

Steve1960 wrote:Again ignoring the legalities I have a 4 year old and have digitised all her DVD movies. You are welcome to them if you want I can put them on a USB stick. All in MP4 format.
and Martin, I believe a TV with a USB port is a better choice .. than a Laptop !!!

And I am sure the kids know how to work their way around into ripping Videos to USB !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:02 am

Ensuring the videos are ripped in proper format and codecs to support a specific TV model is not that easy. I wouldn't rely on it working unless you've specifically tested it on the exact model of TV you have.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:06 am

Good point, the MP4 movies I have are setup for an iPad with the relevant format and codecs.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:45 am

Yes apple and Google products are pretty good about supporting standard h.264 codecs. The Panasonic TV I bought new in 2012 only support an obscure codec primarily used by some digital camcorders and cameras. relevant research after-the-fact let me to the conclusion that it is best to just buy a chrome cast, Apple TV or something similar.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 1:30 pm

martincymru wrote:I am donating a laptop and large monitor so kids in small (poor) village in Philippines may watch films (movies).

Is there a legal way of downloading movies so I may save onto the laptop and they can then play/watch?

Kids 5-13 years of age.
Another option:

Depending on your availability but you may try buying the discs in the Philippines(e.g. http://www.myastroplus.ph, http://odysseylive.net; found in most malls). There are disc factories there which make certain media cheaper elsewhere and you'd also be helping the "local economy." The only problem is if it's obscure enough, you won't find it.

But if you do, you can buy the discs, learn how to convert them to digital format (e.g. via DVD-ripping software; really simple and easy once you learn it) and store them in the computer. Copyright laws in the Philippines aren't that strong and ripping media that you own has never been defined or seen as illegal.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 3:24 pm

nakatago wrote:Depending on your availability but you may try buying the discs in the Philippines(e.g. http://www.myastroplus.ph, http://odysseylive.net; found in most malls). There are disc factories there which make certain media cheaper elsewhere and you'd also be helping the "local economy." The only problem is if it's obscure enough, you won't find it.

But if you do, you can buy the discs, learn how to convert them to digital format (e.g. via DVD-ripping software; really simple and easy once you learn it) and store them in the computer. Copyright laws in the Philippines aren't that strong and ripping media that you own has never been defined or seen as illegal.
I didn't find the AstroPlus discs cheaper .. or atleast those that I was keen on !!

But I recall another shop selling Movies - copied into USB directly !!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 4:07 pm

Well in any case my offer to supply multiple movies stands if the OP can use them.