Singapore Expats

Want to watch Winter Olympics - Men's Ice Hockey

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Shadowhawk

Want to watch Winter Olympics - Men's Ice Hockey

Post by Shadowhawk » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 5:56 pm

Does anyone know a bar or pub that will show the Winter Olympics? Specifically, I want to watch men's ice hockey, hopefully broadcast from Canada so there's Canadian commentary. :D

Because of the time difference, Canada will be playing at 1 AM Singapore time during the opening round...that might make things a tad harder. :?

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:15 am

Oh you totally got my hopes up. I thought you might already know a place that will show it and were inviting people. lol.

At any rate, the only bar I know that plays hockey with any regularity is the Chili's beside the ice rink in JCube. (obviously not live). They might be convinced to play olympic hockey if the sports channels they subscribe to air it. If I'm there in the near future I'll ask if they will be playing any winter olympic games.

And if you find anything out, let me know, I'd be down for some Canadian hockey victory! :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:58 am

I'll keep a watch on this thread because I'm looking for any pub/restaurant that shows Winter Olympics.

karenx

Post by karenx » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 7:20 pm

I doubt Chili's would show the games live since they start at 1am lol Anyway, I emailed them asking about it. If I get a response, I'll reply here.

If you want to watch with Canadian commentary, you can watch online at cbc.ca, I think. That's what I plan to do. Just use a vpn.

GO CANADA GO! :D

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 7:48 pm

I agree that it wont be live (hence, the comment that said "obviously not live"). I'm hoping the bar has on-demand.

Unfortunately I can't ever get cbc.ca to work here. I've even tried canadian proxies to get it to work. But TSN or CTV might (I've never tried it with a proxy), and TSN is supposed to have full coverage.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 8:32 am

FYI, I emailed The Blooie's at Rail Mall (someone mentioned about it in this forum quite some time ago). They are not airing the Winter Olympics this year. Dang.

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Sat, 08 Feb 2014 6:56 pm

The chili's at JCube also will not be airing it. :( Many places have free wifi though. I wonder if we could convince them to hook the TV up to a laptop. :P

If not, maybe someone wants to host a hockey night event? My place is too small to host, but I'll bring a case of beer.

karenx

Post by karenx » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:49 am

So I found a place that is showing some of the games. Smokey's BBQ in Joo Chiat. https://www.facebook.com/SmokeysBBQ.SG Apparently, the owner is a Sharks/USA fan.

They showed the CAN-USA women's game last night! But it looks like all of Canada's men round robin games are at 1am and they're not open then. If you guys want to watch the USA games, they are playing at 8:30pm, so Smokey's should be showing them.

Also, Boomerang in Boat Quay is apparently going to show some of the olympics. Not sure if the hockey games will be shown though.

stevem

Visiting Singapore

Post by stevem » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:14 am

I would love to find a place to watch the Canada Olympic hockey games. Men & Women. I'm visiting and don't know SG very well. Tried with proxies and hotel internet - with no luck at all - for the CAN/US women's game. Need a solution.

Especially for the men's games airing at 1am Singapore time. If anybody knows where to watch, please post or pm!

Steve

mike-hamhuis

Post by mike-hamhuis » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 2:44 pm

Hey there, just another guy wanting to watch Team Canada. Luckily found this forum.

Last night called a bunch of places. Boomerang in Robertson Quay has Singtel Mio, and is usually open until 3am… Problem was they didn't want to play the audio due to noise and were pretty much trying to go home early.

Met another fellow canuck (who is a Bruins fan btw!?), and we found this Korean place still in Robertson Quay, but in the central area next to the clock tower.

They have a big projector, play the audio (unfortunately no Canadian), and open well into the morning hours. Sorry can't remember name, but easy to find.

Might swing by tonight, GO CANADA GO!!

Mike

karenx

Post by karenx » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 3:18 pm

Hey Mike, did the Korean place show the game till the end? Don't want to have to leave halfway through the game. I'm guessing they were showing the Singapore broadcast. I wish some place would show CBC. I watched last night's/this morning's game on CBC webcast and it was pretty good.

Anyone want to meet up there to watch tonight's game? I'm guessing most won't because it's valentine's day lol

stevem

Post by stevem » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 3:45 pm

I'm interested in meeting up with any people who might know how to find a place with the game. I don't know singapore, visiting on business.

I found a place near my hotel last night (Cable car saloon) - was just walking by and saw speed skating on. It was 8pm and I knew that there were a couple of games starting at 8:30 so I sat down for a beer to see if these games would come on. They didn't. No audio. I asked the bartender and he said they have only one Olympic feed, and they'll show whatever they play. They also close at 2am which would suck to stop watching in the second period. So I'm still out in the cold. Internet video feeds are useless to me with hotel internet.

In any case, pm or post if you find any place to watch the game or plan to group together to lobby some place to turn the game on!

mike-hamhuis

Post by mike-hamhuis » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 4:00 pm

Hi, yes they will play the game right to the end… Unless maybe some Korean speed skater is going for a medal lol!

Today I'm going to do my best to support my country... but I'm single and in Singapore on Valentine's day! I'll also have some convincing to my Singaporean friend that he'll find his Valentine at the game haha.

If anyone is unsure about where to go, that Korean place in Robertson Quay was a good spot and they will play it in it's entirety. Unfortunately you'll have to bear with the bland Brit who is oblivious to what he is commentating…

stevem

Post by stevem » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 9:13 pm

I am going to try to find this Korean bar around midnight. Looks like the best shot. I will check here on my phone - if anybody finds the game on tonight, please post here. If I find the place, I'll edit this post with the name of the Korean bar near the clock tower in Robertson Quay. :)

If anybody else winds up there, let's raise a glass to Canada going to 2-0.

mike-hamhuis

Post by mike-hamhuis » Fri, 14 Feb 2014 9:39 pm

Damotory - Robertson Walk, 11 Unity Rd, #01-30 Singapore 237995

Phone #: 6235 6787

Found a receipt in my pocket .

Maybe see you guys over there.

GO CANADA GO!!