Singapore Expats

Inflate Salary? S-Pass Application

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
monalisaisme

Inflate Salary? S-Pass Application

Post by monalisaisme » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:03 pm

Hi all,

After months and months of looking for a job here in Singapore, finally I found one. However, during the interview my Pinocchio mouth started doing something I immediately regret. (I was quite surprised how they mandate you to disclose your previous salary). I inflated my previous salary by 30%.

They matched my salary and more, all is well until I have to fill in the forms.

They gave me two forms, one for their own record (Personal Particulars Form) and S-Pass Form. Both have salary details I have to fill. I don't want to lie in the S-Pass form, but I also do not want to jeopardize my job by contradicting in the details.

Do MOM have some kind of record of your salary, since you have the same FIN number? Do they check with previous employer, both in Singapore and overseas? What do you suggest I should do? Keep the same number for both forms? Will the HR realize the different number in different form?

I'm about to sign the contract in less than 24 hours, and I am super nervous about this. Hope insights from you guys can help me.

*For you who are thinking to do the same like I did, inflate your previous salary, I really don't recommend it. You might end up in hot water like me now. *sigh

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:18 pm

My suggestion is tell your HR immediately what your previous salary was. Although I donot approve this myself, you could possibly give a reasonable explanation for the "inflation" of the salary. May be you could say that you were including a potential bonus along with the base salary and the bonus didnt actually materialize. So something to that effect.

If the previous company is based in Singapore, then surely MoM can cross check based on FIN, so DONOT LIE IN YOUR SPASS FORM and also DONOT LIE ON YOUR COMPANY FORM.

In all probability your HR might buy your story and give the original salary they have promised you.

So far, the "inflation" of salary you did is verbal, which may not be such a bad sin. But if you provide any forged previous company pay slips or make the false declaration of previous company salary in writing, that would be a sin.

Just relax and do the right thing and hope for the best.

bioshock

Post by bioshock » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:26 pm

Hello,

Yes, MOM will check, and they computerized records of everything and if anything does not match, it will come up.

You may want to book an appointment with MOM and go down to speak to them directly.

monalisaisme

Post by monalisaisme » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks Wd40 and bioshock.

I will definitely want to do the right thing in the S-Pass form. Getting it approved is difficult enough as it is.

I am just worried about the company side. I remember during the interview they asked about "basic salary" which I gave the inflated number. If tomorrow I explained that the previously mentioned salary was "total compensation" will they buy it? What are the chances they withdraw the job offer because of this?

Maybe someone in HR can help about this? Will they check thoroughly the form? I am planning to come clean in both of the forms, and hoping they don't notice the difference between my verbal and written salary information. Will it work?

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 6:19 pm

A reasonable company will offer new hires a salary that reflects what the employee is worth to them.
Some companies are incapable of making this valuation and ask you to tell them what you were worth for another company in a previous job. I think it is perfectly fine to use this inability to your advantage.
Just don't lie to the Singapore authorities - that will bite you back later!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:50 am

Depending on the country you worked in before and your previous contracts they (MOM including) may not be able to check your previous salary even if they want to do so very much. In that case you can tell them anything - it is them who is asking stupid questions, not you. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:47 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Depending on the country you worked in before and your previous contracts they (MOM including) may not be able to check your previous salary even if they want to do so very much. In that case you can tell them anything - it is them who is asking stupid questions, not you. :)
The problem is, the OP worked in Singapore. Therefore MOM has all the records available to them, including IRAS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers