Singapore Expats

Pet Quarantine--Not bad!!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
DJones18

Pet Quarantine--Not bad!!

Post by DJones18 » Thu, 10 May 2012 1:03 pm

Just a note that we've just completed our 30-day mandatory quarantine at the AVA on Sembawang Road (labrador coming from Shanghai). All-in-all, it was a really good experience, with terrific facilities and kind attendants. I visited every day for the allotted 4pm-6pm visiting hours timeframe, however they are closed on Sundays and public holidays.

We were able to bring in his dog bed, toys, his own food (although they provide ProPlan Chix and Rice which our dog has been raised on), and his treats. I could feed him his evening meal, take him out when I wanted to (w/ permission from the attendants), could bathe him when he needed it, and they'll schedule a taxi for my return trip, if needed. I think the care level was quite high.

The actual spaces for dogs are decent-sized, and are aircon w/ an outside open-air section that's seperated w/ a locked door that you can open when you're visiting, as well. You can choose to keep your pet in non-aircon space, but several days it was extremely hot, and I was heartbroken that there were animals being held in the non-aircon spaces. I think it's worth the extra $$ to be sure your pet is comfortable in a temp-regulated space. The cat spaces looked great, as well, btw.

30 days is a looong time to be without your pet, however the quarantine wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be, and our dog was just fine. Hope this helps others preparing their pet to relocate to SG! :D

nuff

Post by nuff » Thu, 10 May 2012 2:56 pm

Glad to hear your experience was a good one, all too often you hear horror stories.

I know what you mean about being without your pet for so long, luckily we didn't need to put ours in quarantine, but at least you got to see him most days.

I'm sure you will put some pet owners minds at ease with this post :)

DJones18

Post by DJones18 » Thu, 10 May 2012 7:36 pm

nuff wrote:Glad to hear your experience was a good one, all too often you hear horror stories.

I know what you mean about being without your pet for so long, luckily we didn't need to put ours in quarantine, but at least you got to see him most days.

I'm sure you will put some pet owners minds at ease with this post :)

Was kind of you to respond, thanks! Yes, hope it helps!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 10 May 2012 9:29 pm

How wonderful! Didn't know AVA can do such a good job in taking care of pets in quarantine :)

And nuff is right, we hear too much of horror stories of pet handling around here. This is definitely a huge relief.

Maybe the mods should make a sticky of this since we have quite a number of expats asking about bringing in pets from home countries.

x9200

Re: Pet Quarantine--Not bad!!

Post by x9200 » Fri, 11 May 2012 9:43 am

DJones18 wrote:I could feed him his evening meal, take him out when I wanted to (w/ permission from the attendants)
Where?

nuff

Post by nuff » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:01 am

x9200 wrote:
DJones18 wrote:I could feed him his evening meal, take him out when I wanted to (w/ permission from the attendants)
Where?
I'm just going to guess here but I would presume these facilities would have a private secured area to exercise the animals in their care.

DJones18

Post by DJones18 » Sat, 12 May 2012 8:06 am

nuff wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Where?
I'm just going to guess here but I would presume these facilities would have a private secured area to exercise the animals in their care.

Yes! My apologies! They have 5 large, secured, grassy pens in which you can exercise your dog..the facility is only 5 years old, so it's quite new and nicely constructed.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 12 May 2012 3:08 pm

Sounds that it is so much better than the one I saw in AVA centre at Pasir Panjang. Not deplorable but there should be improvement to it.