Singapore Expats

Feedback regards to salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
LML2011

Feedback regards to salary

Post by LML2011 » Wed, 23 Feb 2011 7:58 pm

Request your feedback dear friends. I have an offer from a MNC Bank for S$ 120,000/- All inclusive Per annum before Tax. Am married and my wife is a housewife and currently based in the Middle east. Would like your honest comments answers if S$ 10,000/- Per month would be good enough to live a comfortable life in Singapore with a 2 bedroom apartment. Also if the salary is above average or below average. Pls also note the job has extensive travelling.
Your comments would appreciated. Thank you. LML.
Last edited by LML2011 on Sat, 26 Feb 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 3:29 am

Dear LML

There is this BUTTON called the search button at the right hand corner under the profile link. This Button is your good friend as you can type in what you are looking for and you can read and immerse yourself with all the issues pertaining to your inquiry.

This is the best advise I can give you as whatever you are looking for is all up there. Please help yourself
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

LML2011

Post by LML2011 » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 4:28 am

Thanks Mad S.
I did that search before I came here but still would like to her live from you all.

Await replies Thanks. LML

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 4:37 am

The thing is your Qs are very vague.

Where do you want to live ? N, S, W, E or CBD

Close to work or not ?

Driving or not ?

Nightlife ?

What is your comfortable lifestyle ?

Do you eatout or home cook?

Yadda yadda yadda.. blah blah blah ....Alot of these are based on personal taste and your comfort level.

How much is too much?. A 2 bedder in the city can set you back $3 to $4 K per month , maybe more OR a HDB housing cost a fraction of that if live further away from the city

It is like asking someone, which only you can tell
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 5:07 am

LML2011 wrote:Thanks Mad S.
I did that search before I came here but still would like to her live from you all.
Await replies Thanks. LML
This is asked on a weekly basis. Previous answers would be no different to those given out previously [previous replies were 'Yawn! Use the search function. What do you think we are mind-readers with time to hold your hand and dish out 1.0 advice?'].

You will get more help if you show that you are trying to also help yourself.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 9:31 am

LOL you guys are like a pack of rabid dogs waiting to pounce. Y'all must lay awake at night worrying about people posting questions that have been asked before. =D>

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 9:33 am

To the OP. It really depends on what you are used to. IMO S$10,000 a month would be pretty tough for someone from the western world.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:38 am

Calmday,

You'd be surprised if you knew how many westerners here who are on P2 Passes with income just under the P1 threshold. In fact, there is a wide band of them in the P1 7-9/mo range (mostly engineers in the civil/building sector). I thing the majority of the ones you are referring to are in the banking/financial sector. Where I tend to get thrown is we tend to still use the SGD 1.50 : USD $1 mindset. A large number of these engineers are working for western contractors and their contracts were in USD so they are taking a beating on the exchange rates now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:01 am

Calmday wrote:LOL you guys are like a pack of rabid dogs waiting to pounce. Y'all must lay awake at night worrying about people posting questions that have been asked before. =D>
I disagree. Its called being lazy and taking the easy option. If I was paying a member of staff 60k GBP per year, I'd expect them to have an ounce of intelligence and pro-activeness and to be able understand their expenses, lifestyle and commitments (Given everyone is different on this front its impossible to generalise). Then, go on the internet find some comparison / benchmarks by looking at cost of living indexes for a starting point. Take into account the currency conversion, look at tax rates. Then look on a few accommodation sites, dining sites, this forum to find past threads, and make a judgement based on that.

Then ask more specific questions with figures quoted i.e. is this disposable amount enough to go out, visit orchard towers on a weekly basis, dine at 3 michelin starred restaurants or does it mean I will have to eat rice every night, drink petrol and get my satisfaction off the internet.

It may sound like a rant but this isn't a kindergarten and, like madscientist said, we aren't mindreaders!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:21 am

BillyB,

I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I'd have probably said the same thing but with a lot less finesse. But I'm a ploughboy and not a banker. :cry:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:BillyB,

I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I'd have probably said the same thing but with a lot less finesse. But I'm a ploughboy and not a banker. :cry:
SMS, I don't know how you guys bite your tongue at times, I've only used this forum for just over 6 months and its like deja vu, and has turned me into a grumpy sod and short in my replies. But I just cannot comprehend the lack of common sense out there, and I don't understand how half these people have survived so far in life. There was one guy the other day mentioning a potential salary of $15k PM and is this survivable, and then the posts turn to asking advice on whether he should wait and buy an ipad in SG!!

It's like pulling teeth.......

I'm going to make more of an effort to be positive. I think I'm pulling the happy benchmark down quite considerably at the moment!! :D

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:56 pm

BillyB wrote:
Calmday wrote:LOL you guys are like a pack of rabid dogs waiting to pounce. Y'all must lay awake at night worrying about people posting questions that have been asked before. =D>
I disagree. Its called being lazy and taking the easy option. If I was paying a member of staff 60k GBP per year, I'd expect them to have an ounce of intelligence and pro-activeness and to be able understand their expenses, lifestyle and commitments (Given everyone is different on this front its impossible to generalise). Then, go on the internet find some comparison / benchmarks by looking at cost of living indexes for a starting point. Take into account the currency conversion, look at tax rates. Then look on a few accommodation sites, dining sites, this forum to find past threads, and make a judgement based on that.

Then ask more specific questions with figures quoted i.e. is this disposable amount enough to go out, visit orchard towers on a weekly basis, dine at 3 michelin starred restaurants or does it mean I will have to eat rice every night, drink petrol and get my satisfaction off the internet.

It may sound like a rant but this isn't a kindergarten and, like madscientist said, we aren't mindreaders!
Ya whatever buddy. I think that it’s pretty ridiculous that a person can’t ask a serious question without a pack of internet badazzes jumping there butt. If you don’t want to answer the question then don’t answer it. If you want to pick a fight or start crap go do it to someone face to face.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 1:11 pm

Calmday wrote:
BillyB wrote:

Ya whatever buddy. I think that it’s pretty ridiculous that a person can’t ask a serious question without a pack of internet badazzes jumping there butt. If you don’t want to answer the question then don’t answer it. If you want to pick a fight or start crap go do it to someone face to face.
Save it with your gangster lingo. You obviously have a serious problem with taking constructive criticism. I didn't get personal with you, I simply disagreed and stated the obvious i.e. what a lot of people are probably thinking. We all like helping people out on here, me included, and I think a lot of people go out of their way to take time out and assist others.

Why do companies have processes and procedures in place? To save time and money and avoid repeating the same old cr*p and wasting effort on a regular basis.

And its quite ironic don't you think that you are clearly quite aggressive in your nature, and you are the one writing about picking fights!! :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 1:25 pm

BillyB wrote:.... i.e. is this disposable amount enough to go out, visit orchard towers on a weekly basis
que pasa ?? OT has the cheapest places to eat .. like the Chop Stix and the Thai food place .. : :???: :???:

How did OT turn expensive ?? :mad: :twisted:

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Thu, 24 Feb 2011 1:28 pm

BillyB wrote:And its quite ironic don't you think that you are clearly quite aggressive in your nature, and you are the one writing about picking fights!! :wink:
LOL Gangster lingo? Not quite.
Ya I have always been that way. I will bend over backwards to help anyone that I can or to stand up for anyone who seems to be getting bullied (scars and a VA check every month to prove it). Even back in elementary school I was the kid who would stand up to the bully when they picked on other kids. I guess I haven’t really changed and the bullies have just moved on to the internet.
And if you were that concerned saving a company time and money you wouldn’t be surfing message boards at work.
:wink: :wink:

Either way, don’t bother with me. I like sparing on forums and have issues with having to get the last word. :)
Last edited by Calmday on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.