Singapore Expats

Recommended Housing near AIS

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
MCNB

Post by MCNB » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 4:03 pm

I have the same feelings as tanusa having toured SAIS for enrollment of a child about the same age.

I did not hear or observe anything from SAIS that suggested they were portraying themselves as being something they're not. At the visit they gave a nice overview of their background, their aspirations, and a tour showing what they are able to offer today. Yes, the tour is a pitch, but it felt right and they certainly expressed more interest in my child than when I toured SAS. To be honest, SAS had it backwards -- they assumed they were the greatest thing in town for my child and that irritated me.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 5:44 pm

SAIS is not yet accredited and it's headmaster left in a swirl of mystery. The top position of the school is being shared with their neighbor... :roll: Not saying SAS is the only option, but a school should at least be accredited, no?

tanusa
Regular
Regular

Post by tanusa » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 6:34 am

road.not.taken wrote:SAIS is not yet accredited and it's headmaster left in a swirl of mystery. The top position of the school is being shared with their neighbor... :roll: Not saying SAS is the only option, but a school should at least be accredited, no?
How can a new school be accredited? The Western Association of School and Colleges, one of the organizations SAIS is seeking accreditation with, says, "Initial visits to newly established schools will not occur prior to the second semester of operation, i.e., a spring visit if a school opens in the fall." http://www.acswasc.org/getstarted.htm How can a new school have accreditation in the first semester? It needs to prove itself. Even UWC's East campus says it's an IB PYP "candidate." http://www.uwcsea.uwc.org/page.cfm?p=1158. I did a search on the IB accreditation process (the other organization SIAS is seeking accreditation with) and found that it took another school here in the US two years to get accredited. I think expecting a new school to be accredited by anyone when the doors open the first day is unreasonable and unrealistic.

I'm really baffled by all the concern over this school. My husband toured and interviewed people at SAS, UWC and SAIS. Out of the three, he said he felt the most comfortable with SAIS. He liked the campus and staff. He liked the plans for the permanent campus. He saw the kids our daughter will be with and their teachers. He really like how enthusiastic the teachers were. And the kids seemed happy. He did like SAS and UWC, but felt they just weren't the best fit for us. My daughter starts with SAIS Jan. 11. We've been in contact with the school for weeks, working to get our application, etc. in. We've had a great experience so far. We hope things continue to go well.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 7:19 am

The issue is not so much if the school is accredited (WASC is basically a rubber stamp organization after all), so it surely will be down the road sometime. It's whether you feel comfortable with such a leap of faith. You obviously do, so that's all that matters. All schools have growing pains, but SAIS isn't even teething yet, I guess I'd want something with a more proven track record for my brood, but they are older and the stakes are much higher. We also didn't realize all our kids would graduate from the school they started as pre-schoolers, it would make that decision all the more difficult.

autogen

Post by autogen » Sun, 02 Jan 2011 3:54 pm

Hi All,

I note its been a year since the last post and I'd love to know what the latest feedback is on Stamford. I'm aware the school had some teething issues with the original principal leaving etc.. Ultimately, I'd like to understand what parents think about the quality of education and teaching.

I'm planning to leave London and move to Singapore with my son and daughter to join their father (who is already in Singapore) as soon as we sort out the schooling. My 8 year old son currently goes to a private selective school so I'm curious how he would find Stamford. My 5 year old daughter goes to a private montessori school and I suspect she will find it easier to fit into Stamford (more due to her age).

Would appreciate any new feedback on Stamford. I am considering other schools as well but due to waiting lists etc I wanted to understand what parents views are on Stamford.

Thanks

norosiecheeks

SAIS - impressions? experiences?

Post by norosiecheeks » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:15 pm

Hi tanusa,

My husband and I visited SAIS a few months ago and are still on the fence. I am not happy with our current International School (we have two kids 5&7) and really need some input. I am hoping to get some positive feedback from parents of children who attend SAIS to help us make our decision. I realize it's a personal decision but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
norosiecheeks

Happy Parent

SAIS

Post by Happy Parent » Sat, 11 Jun 2011 9:43 pm

Hi,

We have been at SAIS since a year and I can definitely say my child has been one happy kid. I was very unhappy with the previous International School that she was at and when we made the switch I just saw a different and happier child. The teachers are all very open and approachable, friendly staff, lovely parents and a closed knit community. There have been a few changes over the past year such as a new principal but nothing that would hinder the child's learning. Infact at a recent meeting, the principal shared his goals and his vision of the school and it all seemed promising. They are moving to their permanent campus somewhere in Serangon next year. So far I am happy, my child is learning and I would definitely recommend it.
Last edited by Happy Parent on Sun, 12 Jun 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:45 am

Are SAIS and International Community School the only other schools (apart from the main one - SAS) that follow the American curriculum?

Happy Parent

Post by Happy Parent » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 7:43 am

You may want to check out ISS as well.

x9200

Re: SAIS

Post by x9200 » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 9:20 am

Happy Parent wrote:Hi,

We have been at SAIS since a year and I can definitely say my child has been one happy kid. I was very unhappy with the previous International School that she was at and when we made the switch I just saw a different and happier child. The teachers are all very open and approachable, friendly staff, lovely parents and a closed knit community. There have been a few changes over the past year such as a new principal but nothing that would hinder the child's learning. Infact at a recent meeting, the principal shared his goals and his vision of the school and it all seemed promising. They are moving to their permanent campus somewhere in Serangon next year. So far I am happy, my child is learning and I would definitely recommend it.
You realize you do not sound too convincing? If your intentions are genuine this way you do more damage than good to the school.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:06 pm

Happy Parent wrote:You may want to check out ISS as well.
OK, so SAIS, International Community School and ISS have the US program.

What about OFS, as they seem to have some sort of American accreditation?

sunny28

Re: Recommended Housing near AIS

Post by sunny28 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 5:32 pm

I have a friend who lives in the condo right next to AIS. It's relatively new and modern so worth checking out.