Singapore Expats

Maid's holiday 'permit'

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
dbenne22
Regular
Regular

Maid's holiday 'permit'

Post by dbenne22 » Sat, 30 May 2009 4:55 pm

We are thinking of sending our maid home to the Philippines for Christmas and today she has told me about some sort of permit that is required by the Singapore government - without the permit apparently she will be denied re-entry to Singapore. Apparently her agency will arrange the permit for SGD240 - and a new permit is required for every trip home.

Does anyone know whether this is accurate, and if so is there a cheaper way of obtaining the permit (such as lodging the request directly at MOM) ?

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sun, 31 May 2009 4:51 am

Don't think this is correct. Best check MOM.
Be Like Water

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sun, 31 May 2009 8:13 am

The permit is not from MOM - it is from the respective embassy. The $240 is accurate if you go through an agent. This is the fee we paid when our helper went home for the holidays. I think it is then valid for 2 years (or the contract length). You can, however, do the paperwork yourself. My friend just did it - http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/index.cfm?GPID=220 - you will still have to pay $110 for the embassy fees and will have to process all the paperwork at the embassy yourself (or your helper).

In re: to Singapore - they just need their WP and passport to reenter
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... rker0.html

dbenne22
Regular
Regular

ELIGIBLE and QUALIFIED EMPLOYER

Post by dbenne22 » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 8:49 am

Thanks cbavasi,

A question: I saw the following note on the POLO office website:

Note: ELIGIBLE and QUALIFIED EMPLOYER: Worker has served continuously for at least two (2) years with the same employer.

We have had our maid for under 12 months - does anyone know if this makes her ineligible for the home leave pass ?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 9:09 am

Our helper was only with us for 18 months when she went on home leave - but she did have to provide 2 copies of the contract we signed. This is when it may help to go through an agency or contact the Philippine embassy directly.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 9:20 am

Yes the charge is correct and it is a total rip off direct from the Phillipine Embassy. The reason the fee is so high is that you have to have an "embassy verified" contract and other documents. So even though Singapore MOM verifies the helper to work here that is not enough for the Phillipine embassy.
When you go to the embassy they actually give you a business card of an agency that you can do it through (you cannot just choose any agency, I assume only the ones who give a kick back to the embassy are allowed on their list), and yes the fee is $240.
The pass is so that the Phillipines will LET OUT the domestic worker even though Singapore is happy to let her in with a valid WP.
It is a blatant rip off and I cannot believe more people don't complain about it. Can you imagine if it was the US, or UK or most other countries trying to pin this onto one of their citizens? But then the Phillipines is NOT a free country :-(

dbenne22
Regular
Regular

Ripoff

Post by dbenne22 » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 9:25 am

Totally agree - especially when this is such a high proportion of a FDW's income. Disgraceful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:42 am

It'sn not just with the maids either. Everybody wanting to exit the 'peens for employment has to pay through the nose to the corrupt government agencies there even though all usually have their contracts in hand. It's been going on for at least 15 years that I know about.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mules
Regular
Regular

Post by mules » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 5:15 pm

Just revisiting this topic - we want to send our foreign domestic worker home for 10 days. she has only been with us 10 months, so i rang the embassy and they said i must do it through an agency. this is amazing, what service can an agency provide given that i have all the documentation, that i cannot do directly with the embassy.

anyway, i rang the agency we employed her with, and since they are not accredited with the embassy, they are obviously going to get another agency to do it, so the fee is $290. amazing, i would rather pass this money to our fdw knowing it is going to better use.

i guess i need to determine whether a nice gesture of sending our hardworking fdw home whilst we are away is worth it. has anyone managed to lodge paperwork directly with the embassy given their employee has worked for less than 2 years with them?

also. will i need to pay this fee again when her home leave comes up in 14 months?

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 5:20 pm

Apparently the visa is good for 2 years so no need to pay again for a while.
yes its a blatant rip off and Im sure there is many a poor maid who is not going home as the employer refuses to be part of the corruption that is the Phillipine Embassy.

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 5:27 pm

I think this fee is to "legalise" the FDW working here with the Phil gov't. Most of the maids leave the Phil as if on holiday and do not go through the necessary paperwork with the POES (Overseas Employment Agency). But once she returns to the country and wants to come back, she has to have the paperwork to be able to leave the country again (Most maids are brought through immigration the first time by a fixer, hence it's easy for them to leave the country)

I think I paid about the same amount in the Phil when I wanted to hire the maid directly and went through the POEA (approx PhP 8000)

mules
Regular
Regular

Post by mules » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:04 pm

thanks for advice. for those who have done this before, how long does it usually take - the none approved agency said 7-10 days, but am assuming it will be quicker and cheaper if i go to an approved agency.

also, as a side question, anyone know which airport is closer to san carlos city, pangasinan - clarke or manila?

thanks

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carolynW » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 3:59 pm

The agency I use charges S$250.

Also don't forget to claim with CPF for teh FDW levy for the days they are gone, some savings there...

I also booked the flights via Jetstar and managed to get a ticket for S$140.

mules
Regular
Regular

Post by mules » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 9:06 pm

thanks, wld you mind pm-ing me the agency you use.

i rang one of the accredited agencies today and they quoted me $350!! and saying that include the $2k insurance (not sure what that is about). they also went onto to say your maid won't come back, make sure you start holding her salary before she goes, etc.

she's not my slave, she an employee. imagine if my employer said that to me. if she doesn't come back, well it's her loss, and yes a hassle for me, but if i didn't trust her, i wouldn't be sending her in the first place.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 2:20 am

Clark airport is nearer .it is also called Diosdado Macapagal Airport

Budget airlines going there are Tiger and Cebu Pacific