Singapore Expats

Singapore NS defaulter bonds

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Aomory

Singapore NS defaulter bonds

Post by Aomory » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 9:23 pm

Hello Everyone:
I have a question. I left Spore when my son was 11 years old. Mindef had sent a letter to report for NS. When he was 19 years old, he was still in high school in the US, Mindef had sent a letter to sign the $75000 bond with two sureties. Now my son does not want to go back to report for army, Mindef has sent a letter to pay the $75000 bond. I do not have the money. What should I do?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:31 pm

Tell you son to grow up and to do his obligation, find a way to pay the $75K or have your son branded as a defaulter and you in trouble with the gahment as well, so that neither of you will ever be able to step into Singapore again without being picked up by the authorities. Your son will most likely be sent to prison for a couple of years and then made to do his NS after he is released. You? No idea, but defrauding the government, knowing the Singapore Government, will not be pleasant, I reckon.

I don't understand why your son was still in High School at 19 years of age. Most, if not all, graduate at 17 or 18.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Tell you son to grow up and to do his obligation, find a way to pay the $75K or have your son branded as a defaulter and you in trouble with the gahment as well, so that neither of you will ever be able to step into Singapore again without being picked up by the authorities. Your son will most likely be sent to prison for a couple of years and then made to do his NS after he is released. You? No idea, but defrauding the government, knowing the Singapore Government, will not be pleasant, I reckon.

I don't understand why your son was still in High School at 19 years of age. Most, if not all, graduate at 17 or 18.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:25 am

It was 6 years Elementary, 3 years Middle School and 4 years High School. Some people repeat in school. I have no intention to default any Government. Not easy to be a single parent. Now I have to face the consequences. :???: [/quote]

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 6:53 am

Was your son a PR or a citizen of Singapore?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Singapore NS defaulter bonds

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:53 pm

Aomory wrote:Hello Everyone:
I have a question. I left Singapore when my son was 11 years old. Mindef had sent a letter to report for NS. When he was 19 years old, he was still in high school in the US, Mindef had sent a letter to sign the $75000 bond with two sureties. Now my son does not want to go back to report for army, Mindef has sent a letter to pay the $75000 bond. I do not have the money. What should I do?
Why did you sign the bond - it appears you had no intention of returning him to do NS but you wanted him to retain his SC?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 2:35 pm

PNGMK wrote:Why did you sign the bond - it appears you had no intention of returning him to do NS but you wanted him to retain his SC?
I feel sorry for the Sureties ..

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 8:14 pm

Singapore citizen and US PR. I was told that I made a mistake when we moved to the US. I should hv given up his citizenship. Since I am a good Singaporean I did not made a research. I dont understand why his friends are still in college in Spore and Mindef didn't really pressure them when my son is not allowed to go to college.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 8:24 pm

I had the intention of returning him and he is aware of it. But he somewhat changed his mind. In 2009 I was not given any choice, Mindef requires 2 sureties and $75000 bond.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 8:32 pm

Yep, Mindef are not to be trifled with. I'm sure you remember the Piano Man Mervin Tan after so many years in the UK, got a tidy fine just to let the people know that they have a very, very long memory.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 8:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, Mindef are not to be trifled with. I'm sure you remember the Piano Man Mervin Tan after so many years in the UK, got a tidy fine just to let the people know that they have a very, very long memory.
Yep, i know. I shld hv done my research few years back. Who knew my son wld change his mind? This is unexpected.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 9:04 pm

I believe, if it were me and my son did that, I'd throw him out of the house unless he paid the bond himself. It's his irresponsible actions that are putting you in a financial bind or some members of your family still in Singapore (your two surities). But then, I'm old school and a hard core believer in "you make your bed and you sleep in it". He should have to sleep in it.

Problem is, in the US, today you have absolutely no control over your kids and they can do as they damn well please and even threaten the parents and the parents cannot do a damn thing about it.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 9:58 pm

He's out of the house. Some of the kids in the US are more independent. At age 17 they are not staying with their parents. They work go college, got their own car and pay rent. They dont depend on their parents. Asians are different. The rich kids are more out of control.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:12 pm

Yep, I know. I left home at 17 as well after I graduated from High School. Have never lived at home again with the exception of 3 months after I got my military discharge in 1968 just before I turned 21. It was because of the mess in the US that I decided to stay here after my two kids were born here.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:21 pm

So you're now in Spore or US. This would not have happened if I am still in Spore. At that time I was laid-off and could not find a job and things was difficult when you're a single parent. So I tried my fate in the US. But least that I expect my son would turn his back on me. Say levi Now I have to find a way to pay the Spore Government and make my son pay back