Singapore Expats

Renewal of REP for those PRS who surrender their Son's PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Krishnaa Mohan

Renewal of REP for those PRS who surrender their Son's PR

Post by Krishnaa Mohan » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 3:44 pm

I would like the opinion or real life cases regarding the renewal of Re Entry Permit for those PRS who surrender the PR of their sons just before enlistment to avoid National Service. This is for my friend. The details of the case are as under.
The friend, his spouse, son and daughter are PRS in Singapore since 1998. He came to Singapore when his son was 4 years old. The daughter was born here. The son had his education in Singapore local schools and finished his A level in NUS High School. He is a brilliant student and wanted to continue his higher education in Canada. He was registered for NS and his enlistment was to be in Mar 2012. In Feb 12, he surrendered his PR and he was given a LVP after a lot of reject ions. The boy left in Aug 12 for his higher education. My friend’s REP is due for renewal in July 2013. My friend is owning a resale HDB Flat since 2001. His daughter is continuing her education here in Set 1.
My friend is worried about his renewal of REP in July 2013. Can anyone in this forum enlighten about the chances of renewal of REP of my friend under the above circumstances?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 4:38 pm

Wow! How accurately you know "Your friend's" details including the dates, kids education and stuff. Very close friend is it? :)

Also almost every line you have repeated "My friend" so religiously, it still wont help people wonder whether its you or your friend :twisted:

But seriously think about it, does it really matter whether you write in 1st person or 3rd person, this is your first post and you have no built up reputation here that you want to protect, so the forum regulars are not going to respond in any different manner had you written in 1st person also :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 5:08 pm

The authorities have probably already gotten his IP address and are probably watching him as well, just in case.

However, having said that, if he got his son out of NS, then his file will probably be flagged and will either not get his REP renewed or maybe renewed for one year to get his affairs buttoned. It serves him right for trying to screw the gahmen. They have very, very long memories.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 5:15 pm

Firstly I'm astonished the son got an LTVP at all.

I don't think the parents REP is at risk but the son almost certainly will be seen as an NS defaulter - what's his status on deferring NS or doing NS? Don't worry about WD40 - he's just feeling a bit of friction.
Now I'm called PNGMK

ututu
Regular
Regular

Post by ututu » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 5:48 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Firstly I'm astonished the son got an LTVP at all.

I don't think the parents REP is at risk but the son almost certainly will be seen as an NS defaulter - what's his status on deferring NS or doing NS? Don't worry about WD40 - he's just feeling a bit of friction.
Son is not a PR anymore, so he is not obligated to serve NS, how can he be defaulter ? Gahmen let him off the hook.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 6:05 pm

Yes you got your son out of NS. He won't be a deserter, but you will probably have to pay the price for that. Hopefully we are wrong, but, well, all I'll say is good luck as I think you might need it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:32 am

ututu wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Firstly I'm astonished the son got an LTVP at all.

Son is not a PR anymore, so he is not obligated to serve NS, how can he be defaulter ? Gahmen let him off the hook.
This is what I can postulate, knowing how ICA works and the government's perspective. I may be wrong, so don't take it personally, I'm just postulating...:

Government let him off the hook, with the intention to mark the first generation PR (which would his parents) in their file as 'undesirables' (because of his intention) and then mark them to reject REP renewals or approved only short-duration REP renewals. After all, they don't want to keep the parents, who intend to keep him off the system, so they don't want him anyway...

Remember one thing, if they want you, they will keep you, by hook or by crook. Why else would you think they make lives of citizens more difficult than PRs when they try to game the NS system for their sons? That's because it is easier to get rid of PRs.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 14 Dec 2012 9:02 pm

"Another Indian just abused the system..."

thebigass

Re: Renewal of REP for those PRS who surrender their Son's P

Post by thebigass » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 9:00 pm

Your smart 'friend' wants to keep his cake and eat it ah? my advice: PRAY HARD
Krishnaa Mohan wrote:I would like the opinion or real life cases regarding the renewal of Re Entry Permit for those PRS who surrender the PR of their sons just before enlistment to avoid National Service. This is for my friend. The details of the case are as under.
The friend, his spouse, son and daughter are PRS in Singapore since 1998. He came to Singapore when his son was 4 years old. The daughter was born here. The son had his education in Singapore local schools and finished his A level in NUS High School. He is a brilliant student and wanted to continue his higher education in Canada. He was registered for NS and his enlistment was to be in Mar 2012. In Feb 12, he surrendered his PR and he was given a LVP after a lot of reject ions. The boy left in Aug 12 for his higher education. My friend’s REP is due for renewal in July 2013. My friend is owning a resale HDB Flat since 2001. His daughter is continuing her education here in Set 1.
My friend is worried about his renewal of REP in July 2013. Can anyone in this forum enlighten about the chances of renewal of REP of my friend under the above circumstances?
:wink: :lol:

Kakibukit

Post by Kakibukit » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 10:01 pm

[quote="Krishnaa Mohan"]I would like the opinion or real life cases regarding the renewal of Re Entry Permit for those PRS who surrender the PR of their sons just before enlistment to avoid National Service. This is for my friend. The details of the case are as under.
My friend is worried about his renewal of REP in July 2013. Can anyone in this forum enlighten about the chances of renewal of REP of my friend under the above circumstances?[/quote]

Your friend's REP will be renewed based on his own merit, like whether he is gainfully employed in Singapore, whether he has paid his taxes, his CPF contributions etc. HIs REP should not be affected by his son's surrendering of his PR before NS.

But your friend's son will not be able to work in Singapore ever again, under any circumstances. He can only visit Singapore as a tourists, or on business.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 1:03 am

Kakibukit wrote: Your friend's REP will be renewed based on his own merit, like whether he is gainfully employed in Singapore, whether he has paid his taxes, his CPF contributions etc. HIs REP should not be affected by his son's surrendering of his PR before NS.

But your friend's son will not be able to work in Singapore ever again, under any circumstances. He can only visit Singapore as a tourists, or on business.
How would you know? Can you name one instance that this type case REP will be renewed ?
I can name a few which states otherwise ?
Show me the cases and I will show you mine .
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Kakibukit

Post by Kakibukit » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 4:33 am

How would you know? Can you name one instance that this type case REP will be renewed ?
Show me the cases and I will show you mine .[/color][/quote]

================

I say it from 1st hand experience. Your REP has nothing to do with your son's PR status. Singapore government is very rational. And I am not alone, I know another friend who is still in Singapore as PR but his son has given up his.

I have another friend who did it differently. He has never applied for PR for his sons, and they studied in Singapore as foreign students. So his son didn't have to do NS.

And to do it this way, your son has to give up PR status (if he was a PR from birth) before he is 12 years old. After that, they can study in Singapore as foreign students, and pay higher fees. I believe that applies even to citizens.

Even if my son wants to come back to work in Singapore, he still can by taking up NS again as a pre-condition. At least this was told to us when he gave up his PR status.

There must be unusual circumstances in your case if your REP is not renewed simply because your son has given up his PR.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 4:59 am

Kakibukit wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:How would you know? Can you name one instance that this type case REP will be renewed ?
Show me the cases and I will show you mine .
================

I say it from 1st hand experience. Your REP has nothing to do with your son's PR status. Singapore government is very rational. And I am not alone, I know another friend who is still in Singapore as PR but his son has given up his.

I have another friend who did it differently. He has never applied for PR for his sons, and they studied in Singapore as foreign students. So his son didn't have to do NS.

And to do it this way, your son has to give up PR status (if he was a PR from birth) before he is 12 years old. After that, they can study in Singapore as foreign students, and pay higher fees. I believe that applies even to citizens.

Even if my son wants to come back to work in Singapore, he still can by taking up NS again as a pre-condition. At least this was told to us when he gave up his PR status.

There must be unusual circumstances in your case if your REP is not renewed simply because your son has given up his PR.
This is ridiculous for people to abuse the system to try to save their kids from NS. When a person applies for PR, he/she MUST KNOW what he is getting into. But the whole thing is almost all Indians apply for PR just like they would apply for a free store rewards card. They fail to understand that the privilege comes with a responsibility.

I am sorry but this is blatant ABUSE and I wish the OP's friend is declined REP and the son is black listed from entering Singapore for anything except tourism.

NO wonder Indians are the flavor of the month and are welcome in almost every country on the face of the planet earth (including Singapore).

Kakibukit

Post by Kakibukit » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 5:16 am

I'm sure we can understand your anger, coming from your angle.

But I am not sure if I can say it's an abuse. We followed the rules/policies by your governments on PR, work permits etc. If we had wanted to be citizens of Singapore, we would have applied for it. And while Singapore is a wonderful country, different people have different preferences.

To stop such "abuse" as you claim, your government should simply change the rule and deny the rights of PR's sons to leave the country unless they have taken up NS. Your government must have calculated that this may not be attractive in your policy to allow foreigners to work in Singapore.

And why pick on Indians? Isn't that being racisits, when many Chinese (PRC) are doing the same? What about the ang mos who send their sons back to the West before NS is due?

The issue is not with us. The issue is with your NS requirements. We follow your NS policy. It says that if our sons cancel their PR before NS is due, they are allowed to leave. So where is the crime?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 9:00 am

This post has attracted the attention of the local xenophobes online rag - TRE - we can expect a lot more abuse coming our way.

OP - go ahead - cancel your son's PR. Come back in 10 years and tell us how much he appreciates you closing the door on him in Singapore.
Now I'm called PNGMK