Singapore Expats

Re-locating to Singapore on my own - boardies, help !

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
angelicaik

Re-locating to Singapore on my own - boardies, help !

Post by angelicaik » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 1:14 pm

Dear all,

I've been given a fantastic opportunity to re-locate to Singapore through my company. I'll be moving on my own with no children or spouse. However, I'm still part of a graduate trainee scheme and so my monthly salary will be around 3000-3500eur (4800sgd-5600sgd).

My office will be located on Battery Road and I would like to live no farther than 30 min from my office by public transport (I don't drive). A condo seem to be the best option due to the facilities such as having a gym and a pool. But from what I've read it seems unlikely for me to find something that my budget allows (or?).

I like modern and clean interior and would prefer to stay in a newly built or refurbished condo. I realize that I may need to share, so what's it like to share in Singapore, are you likely to get a decent size room with your own toilet and shower in a decent condo for about 1500-2500sgd a month (or less?)

What areas should I look at based on that I want to live no farther than 30-40min away by public transport?

What agency would be recommended to go through or websites in my search for a home? As a foreigner I'm sure I'll pay a premium but if I can stay away from the worst traps and go by recommendation I'd much prefer that.

In terms of business etiquette am I OK to negotiate the rent and if so how aggressive can I be. I'm currently based in Malta and negotiated my monthly rent down by 25%, not sure how it works in Singapore..?

Any other helpful advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers'
Angelica

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 3:27 pm

You're going to have to rent a room with roommates on that budget. You should get what you want otherwise though. Search the forums, there are quite a few sites that are good for this.

For location, almost anywhere along the green line should meet your time requirements. The red line between Woodland and Marina Bay also. Also most of the purple line, and maybe half of the circle if you don't mine changing trains. Your best bet is to identify some locations you like, and use a site called "http://gothere.sg" and Google Maps. Give two locations, and it will give you the best routes to/from via public transit. Try them both, as Gothere is sometimes "walking" adverse and will have you take a 20 minute bus ride to avoid a 3 minute walk.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 7:13 pm

Not sure what your budget is but a new condo has opened at 8@ Woodleigh and they not very expensive and I am sure you can get them down due the the building works planned across way. Walking distance to MRT - NEL
Zeenit

m.e.l

Post by m.e.l » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 1:57 am

Your budget seems pretty tight...
Battery Road should be in the CBD of SG, properties in that area command rents up to S$5k at least...
Your best bet is to rent further out (there goes the 30min public transport).
Or a room, in which case S$2k might be decent.
As for negotiating rent, the norm is perhaps 10% down from what the landlord is asking. Then u guys will probably find middle ground...

post cleaned-up -Mod