Singapore Expats

My hubby served me divorce notice and i dont want divorce

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
sandymandy

My hubby served me divorce notice and i dont want divorce

Post by sandymandy » Tue, 08 May 2012 5:15 pm

My hubby served me divorce notice and i dont want divorce.
I am not working lady totally dependent on my hubby and having two small kids one girl and one boy. We are not PR here. We are from India and leaving here from 6-7 years. And my hubby send me divorce notice here and forcing me to accept it. But according to Hindu law nobody can force me to take divorce but i dont understand what to do? Any suggestions please.....and he is accusing me that my behaviour is not good, and accusing me lots of other things which i never did. And he is involving kids in the middle also.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Tue, 08 May 2012 6:07 pm

you are now in singapore (not india) so hindi law wont apply here.

i think you are better off seeing a lawyer and see what options you have

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 May 2012 8:27 pm

sensei_ wrote:you are now in singapore (not india) so hindi law wont apply here.

i think you are better off seeing a lawyer and see what options you have
That's right! Just like the Hindi woman last year in the US who was killed by her brother & father for no logical reason aside from dating outside of her race. But never fear, it's against the law in the US as well. It was probably the last words she ever heard.

sensei, you apparently do not understand Hindi law, so I wouldn't tell her that. She understands. And you are right, she NEEDS to see a lawyer before the nutcase gets out of hand.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 11 May 2012 1:05 am

not for nothing but you can't "make" your husband not want to divorce you either.

he can file for separation and... well, the outcome's the same except maybe a little longer.

perhaps a marriage counsellor might be a better person to see before a lawyer... it might help your cause later if things don't look up.

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Post by Nailah » Fri, 18 May 2012 2:33 pm

Unless he has proof of unreasonable behavior or adultery, he cannot force an "immediate" divorce. However, he can still file for separation and leave.

Speak to a lawyer to check your legal rights and also see if you can make him sign anything to say he will pay. Your husband may agree to pay everything NOW, but in many cases I have seen, the husbands actually backed out and refuse to pay in the end. So also see if your lawyer can get him to sign any payment agreement. Some lawyers do not charge for 1st appointment, ask first when you call them.

Joint custody means both have equal say in the kids (eg. which school they go to), but discuss with your lawyer about "care and control" issues.

Hope you will be fine.

sandymandy

next step?

Post by sandymandy » Fri, 18 May 2012 2:57 pm

My divorce procedure has started here. My hubby is saying that he needs joint custudy for my two kids. As he can meet them anytime. I am totally dependent on him and dont have any family support here.
He is ready to pay my lawyer's fees also. But he want divorce in any condition and in fastest way. We dont have any property here. He invested lots of money in India. So how the singapore court will give me maintaince and shares? As i am just worried about kids future so what are the ways to make their future safe?
And how long will it take to finalise this? And will my dependent pass cancel after that? Can i get long term pass after that if my kids gets student pass here?

DesertPhoenix

Re: next step?

Post by DesertPhoenix » Mon, 21 May 2012 5:53 pm

sandymandy wrote:My divorce procedure has started here. My hubby is saying that he needs joint custudy for my two kids. As he can meet them anytime. I am totally dependent on him and dont have any family support here.
He is ready to pay my lawyer's fees also. But he want divorce in any condition and in fastest way. We dont have any property here. He invested lots of money in India. So how the singapore court will give me maintaince and shares? As i am just worried about kids future so what are the ways to make their future safe?
And how long will it take to finalise this? And will my dependent pass cancel after that? Can i get long term pass after that if my kids gets student pass here?
You dont have to agree for joint custody. As the mother, you will get custody, while the father will be entitled to access rights. Unless you find a job and get an EP, your DP will get canceled post-divorce. So you need to figure out your financial affairs quickly. Singapore courts will have jurisdiction over any money or property acquired post-marriage. If your husband does not agree, you may need to provide documentary evidence of his investments abroad.

Dont worry - you will get thru it. And be better off for it.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 24 May 2012 3:10 pm

sandymandy wrote:Can i get long term pass after that if my kids gets student pass here?
there's a mommy or granny pass/visa for moms and granmmas of kids studying here on a student pass/visa.

not sure what the process is like, but i'm sure you can google it out.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 24 May 2012 5:53 pm

taxico wrote:
sandymandy wrote:Can i get long term pass after that if my kids gets student pass here?
there's a mommy or granny pass/visa for moms and granmmas of kids studying here on a student pass/visa.

not sure what the process is like, but i'm sure you can google it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Study_mama