Singapore Expats

Revisiting "Disneyland with the Death Penalty"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Revisiting "Disneyland with the Death Penalty"

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 9:51 am

Written by a Singaporean this time. With a "pedigree."
It is now nearly 20 years since William Gibson wrote his infamous article on Singapore which got Wired banned for a time. What saddened Gibson most was that our government might have found a way to have prosperity, progress and innovation without sacrificing central control and whilst repressing freedom. The thing is, he needn’t have worried.
I hope Wired.com doesn't get blocked because of this.
:roll:

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/04/op ... th-penalty

Mugabe gets a shout out too!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:51 am

I remember the hoohaa when William Gibson wrote the original article. Interesting, but not surprising, the writer this time. He's pegged it as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:33 am

what he wrote about are only problems on the surface... there are more actually if you dig a bit deeper. I'd like to write about it but I'm afraid I'll end up in jail.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:56 am

morenangpinay wrote:what he wrote about are only problems on the surface... there are more actually if you dig a bit deeper. I'd like to write about it but I'm afraid I'll end up in jail.
Probably because he's Singaporean and that somebody already gave his dad an ass-whoopin' and he'd like to, you know, live a life?

:P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for posting that, very interesting.

I'd wondered why the SGn government have brought such trouble upon themselves by the rampant increase in population. Perhaps national GDP is all that matters to them?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Apr 2012 6:22 pm

JR8 wrote:Thanks for posting that, very interesting.

I'd wondered why the SGn government have brought such trouble upon themselves by the rampant increase in population. Perhaps national GDP is all that matters to them?
On a related subject, a very interesting observation of the MRT failures, by a Singaporean colleague here ...

MRT was listed, and the company's interest is to turn a profit. Or not to turn a loss. As the main shareholder, Temasek Holdings, which in turn, is answerable to the joe public, needs to ensure profit is achieved.

Now, the colleague said, if they were to use 10$ titanium bolt instead of 1$ bolt steel botl, they will have to cut profit. So use the cheapest .. cost control right ? If they had no profit motive, they may have used the most expensive and best quality bolt. Alas, Cannot lah !

Now, when the train breaks down, it is the same Joe public who is mad. Now, who's money is in SMRT ? and would the same Joe Public be happy to see his GIC / Temasek Money make a loss ?

And the government can't allow more competitors, because they may eat into SMRT's profits, i.e. Public profit. i.e. Singaporean Money !

See ? it's a catch 22 !!!

he started off, telling me that years ago, any apartment near MRT commanded super-premium prices, as those days, even with the NS and EW Line - before the extension to the Airport- MRT breakdown would have been as shocking as the SQ006- simply cannot do .. and now ? :)

PS: Kenneth's read is interesting - though no comments :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:27 pm

Someone sent me a link to a blog article this week, 'Singapore Dissident'...

Holy smokes... :o