Singapore Expats

New "LTVP+" for foreign spouses

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

New "LTVP+" for foreign spouses

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 7:43 am

Saw this morning on a news site I cannot link to that there is a new LTVP+ pass for "foreign spouses of Singaporeans". Essentially it sounds like a DP/PR hybrid. Interesting though, since I've seen a few questions from Singaporeans on what to do about their foreign wives.
Starting April 1, the Long-Term Visit Pass-Plus (or LTVP+), will provide foreign spouses of Singapore citizens who qualify, with greater certainty of staying here.

The LTVP+ aims to grant the holder a longer period of residency. To qualify, couples should have at least one Singaporean child from their marriage.

For couples who do not have a child who is a Singapore citizen, the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) will look at other factors such as the duration of marriage, and consider more favourably those who have been married for at least three years.

The LTVP+ will be for a duration of three years in the first instance and will be for up to five years for each subsequent renewal. These pass-holders will also be able to enjoy eligible for healthcare and employment benefits at levels close to that of permanent residents.

Such spouses will also be able to find jobs more easily, as prospective employers can apply to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for a Letter of Consent (LOC) for them, instead of an Employment/S Pass or Work Permit. Such employees will not be counted as part of a company's foreign worker quota, and employers will not have to pay foreign workers' levy for them.
And it's an LTVP++ if the child is a boy fit for NS. (j/k)

I do see some good insight in there though for those who have their LTVPs denied. Kid or three years marriage seems to be ICA's determination for marriage of convenience or not?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 8:03 am

Interesting!

Might try and get me one of those next time.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 8:11 am

What I'm waiting to see is if they will pressure MOM to rethink those who have married foreign spouses without getting permission from MOM in the case of former/current WP holders.

As you well know, I have a special interest in this due to the extra family members living with me without their spouse/mother who's stuck in the Philippines. :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 8:28 am

In your case SMS, I don't see why not. The affected parties have a Singaporean child, so shouldn't be a problem? I'd at least try.

I'm curious though about the "LOC" for working. Is this significantly easier to get than a work pass? I've seen things about DP's LOCs that go both ways. Some say a DP can work and that the LOC is simple, others imply for the effort they might as well get the full EP.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:04 am

The difference is the DP may well not qualify for the EP for a particular job. The LoC doesn't not require ANY qualifications - only a company to apply for the LoC. Big difference. Additionally, nothing counts towards any quotas.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:20 am

The problem with my situation is the stubbornness of the MOM which is different than ICA. They both operate independently of each other but still ICA has to bow to MOM's rulings on WP's. The whole thing sucks big green wienies!

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem with my situation is the stubbornness of the MOM which is different than ICA. They both operate independently of each other but still ICA has to bow to MOM's rulings on WP's. The whole thing sucks big green wienies!
What about spouses of PR?What happens to them?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:43 am

uc wrote:What about spouses of PR?What happens to them?
Presumably no change, given this fairly explicit statement:
Starting April 1, the Long-Term Visit Pass-Plus (or LTVP+), will provide foreign spouses of Singapore citizens who qualify, with greater certainty of staying here.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:46 am

The would be treated like the spouses of citizens I would assume. With the exception being, MOM's rulings, which might, if permission was not granted (this is primarily for citizens marrying foreigners) might cause them not to grant PR later or even citizenship for the PR holders if applying for same. I really don't know yet, as the news isn't even 24 hours old yet! :-|

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The would be treated like the spouses of citizens I would assume. With the exception being, MOM's rulings, which might, if permission was not granted (this is primarily for citizens marrying foreigners) might cause them not to grant PR later or even citizenship for the PR holders if applying for same. I really don't know yet, as the news isn't even 24 hours old yet! :-|
Maybe they would keep them on ordinary Ltsvp.

voxies09

Post by voxies09 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 4:10 pm

to bad only for Singaporean Spouse :(

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 5:46 pm

This does not cater for spouses for PR.
Basically what ICA is doing is to make it have more clarity as before everyone is in the dark. What has been done before depends alot on the officers reviewing your application whereby now it is set in stone.
It is nothing new apart from the LOC bit
It is known for LTSVP will get up to max 5 yrs on first time applicant and this has been going on since the 80's!!.
More rumbling coming your way !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 5:56 pm

I was interested to see on the ICA site that the SC's spouse who is seeking an LTVP is automatically put forward for LTVP+, and if unsuccessful it then is considered for a standard LTVP.

i.e. The LTVP+ application is not a separate channel...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 9:25 pm

This is just like applying for an EP with MOM. As long as you tick the box on the application, you will automatically be considered for an S pass if not eligible for the EP.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 1:31 pm

Does it matter if the child is not physically in Singapore?

My parents are thinking of retiring in Singapore but my dad is not Singaporean. Will they care if I did not contribute to Singapore taxes since I am working outside the country?