Singapore Expats

PEP can hold multiple jobs...did anyone realise this?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ausinsg
Regular
Regular

PEP can hold multiple jobs...did anyone realise this?

Post by ausinsg » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 4:37 pm

Hi,

I was preparing to see what I would need for the PEP notification of annual salary today, when I noticed that PART III of the notification form stated new/additional employment. When I called MOM, they confirmed that a PEP holder can be employed by multiple companies, unlike an EP holder.

They said there were no limits on the number of companies, or working hours. However if they have a problem with it, they will send you a letter asking you to fix whatever they see as a problem.

I have not seen this discussed here previously so I thought I would bring it up and see if others were aware of this perk, and if so, what types of outside jobs they have held.

For me it means I might consider lecturing one evening a week at a private school sometime.

Just thought I would see what others have done.

Cheers.

zion77

Post by zion77 » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:45 am

This is great news that PEP holder can be employed by mulitple companies. My concern is does PEP holder need approval from parent company which is employing them ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:22 pm

I would think one would only need common sense to answer that one. Obviously, if you were working for a company and it's in your contract that you cannot work for any other employer while employed by them, then you cannot break your contract (in good conscience). But this would be covered under civil law and not employment law.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 1:09 pm

^^

There is nothing criminal about working at multiple jobs with a PEP, you just may be in violation of one of your contracts.

I was able to have overlapping start/finish dates for my recent job change thanks to this. (Was using up PTO to leave the previous position early)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 2:04 pm

That's what I said. :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

addy456

PEP Additional Employement

Post by addy456 » Tue, 01 May 2012 10:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's what I said. :?
One of my friend who is on PEP doing the additional employment as well.
I want to ask being on PEP if his first job makes $20,000 and second job makes $15,000. does it fulfill the condition below or on one employment
is need to be $34,000.

PEP holders must earn an annual fixed salary of at least $34,000 for each calendar year of the PEP.

Looking forward for quick response.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 10:41 pm

Assuming he/she can clear the 34K threshhold then there is no problem. But, having said that, I assume that loophole will be closed pretty soon as they start to realize that there are those on PEP's that don't deserve to be as they cannot command sufficient salary to meet the minimum with a single employer.

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Post by ausinsg » Fri, 18 May 2012 1:56 am

Whilst I agree mostly. I do see a valid case where the "loophole" exists.

If the PEP holder is working with startups or small business they might not have the cashflow or demand to pay $10k a month. However the business gets in the PEP holder for one day a week at $2k a month. So skills to improve the business are still engaged to improve productivity and allow the business to grow sustainably.

It is more affordable for the business than a local consultant who will advise what to do but not execute, and charge a larger amount, but more affordable than paying the PEP holder full-time.

So Singapore benefits from having a more robust business which is able to keep expanding, paying taxes and employing more locals and foreigners.

The PEP holder needs to be able to show a number of businesses the value he brings or he will not earn enough to maintain his visa. In which case he is sent packing! :)

Just my thoughts.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Assuming he/she can clear the 34K threshhold then there is no problem. But, having said that, I assume that loophole will be closed pretty soon as they start to realize that there are those on PEP's that don't deserve to be as they cannot command sufficient salary to meet the minimum with a single employer.
And another point - the minimum requirements are a previously drawn overseas salary of at least $8k, so why would someone take such a drop in salary?

I can understand that people might take a small drop for a different role, but 60% less? Bizarre

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:50 am

BillyB wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Assuming he/she can clear the 34K threshhold then there is no problem. But, having said that, I assume that loophole will be closed pretty soon as they start to realize that there are those on PEP's that don't deserve to be as they cannot command sufficient salary to meet the minimum with a single employer.
And another point - the minimum requirements are a previously drawn overseas salary of at least $8k, so why would someone take such a drop in salary?

I can understand that people might take a small drop for a different role, but 60% less? Bizarre
PEP isn't just for overseas applicants. P1 and Q1 pass holder who have been working in Singapore for 2 years with a fixed salary of at least S$34k can apply.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 18 May 2012 11:17 am

Saint wrote:
BillyB wrote:

PEP isn't just for overseas applicants. P1 and Q1 pass holder who have been working in Singapore for 2 years with a fixed salary of at least S$34k can apply.
I stand corrected. I didn't realise that. I guess its looking for people who bring economic benefit and show commitment to Singapore......

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 May 2012 11:27 am

BillyB wrote:

You have quit your previous job and come here with the PEP in hand. You have 6 months to try to find a job paying you 8K/mo. Might be few and far between that you are qualified for. So, you are now 4 months into your PEP in the first year. That means, a clued in HR Manager will know that your time is getting short so might only offer you say 6K/mo to start. That is 48K/year to start which means you will qualify to keep your PEP at least for that year. 5 months in and no job? Offer 5K. Can still meet MOM requirements at 35K for the year.

And like Saint noted, P2 & Q holders with 5 years experience here can also get a PEP as long as their incomes were 34K

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 7:32 pm

Damn! This thread make its way to Transioning.Org and I guess the new restrictions on PEP has something to do with this :x

http://www.transitioning.org/2012/05/03 ... iple-jobs/

Such is the impact of forum discussions these days. If there is any loop hole out there, bring it up it this forum and for sure that loop hole will get closed soon :(

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 8:00 pm

Callput wrote:Damn! This thread make its way to Transioning.Org and I guess the new restrictions on PEP has something to do with this :x

http://www.transitioning.org/2012/05/03 ... iple-jobs/

Such is the impact of forum discussions these days. If there is any loop hole out there, bring it up it this forum and for sure that loop hole will get closed soon :(

Haha the newest comment on that blog post by "AVR" must be from a Master's Holder. All of those comments are flaming foreigns, and they ask stupid off topic questions about how to apply for a PEP and what documents to "give their employer" to apply for the PEP.

pepapp

Re: PEP can hold multiple jobs...did anyone realise this?

Post by pepapp » Mon, 02 Nov 2020 10:46 am

Hi all,

I realize I'm reviving a very old thread - but wanted to check with anyone who has taken on multiple jobs while on PEP. How long did the approval process take for the additional employment? Also, the PEP notification form says the date of commencement "must be a current or past date". This seems counterintuitive with the fact that additional employment needs to be approved by MOM.

Any insight is much appreciated! Thanks