Singapore Expats

The new criteria for EP's w.e.f. January 2012

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

The new criteria for EP's w.e.f. January 2012

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 1:17 pm

The minimum qualifying salary for young foreign graduates who want to get an EP will be raised to $3000 up from $2800.

It will get harder for older applicants to get a lower-tier EP (Q) as the MOM will look at whether their pay is commensurate with the experience they have (in other words, the criteria will be solely at the discretion of MOM as and when)

The middle-tier EP (P2) salary requirement will also be raised to $4500 from $4000.

Companies employing lower tier EP holders may find that their Q pass holders may no longer be eligible under the new rules.

Currently there isn't any new criteria changes for the P1 pass and will, at this point, be held at $8000/month minimum.

They have 4 options:
-Increase the salary of the EP holder
-substitute a foreign EP holder with a local worker
-hire the EP holder on an S Pass (which has a lower salary requirement)
-hire a new foreign worker with better qualifications and skills and pay him more

The changes will start (for new applicants) from Jan 1 2012

For existing EP holders whose passes expire...

-before Jan 1, 2012 - They will receive a one-time renewal of up to two years, based on the rules that existed before July 1 this year

-between Jan 1 and June 30, 2012 - They will receive a one-time renewal of up to one year, based on the current EP criteria.

-on or after July 1, 2012 - they will be subject to the new EP criteria.

So, if you are a new applicant now (Aug-Dec 2011) you still will be granted under the current new rates but at the first renewal you will have to pass the new criteria for both salary & qualifications. Preferences will be given to those with qualifications from good institutions (this means good in the eyes of the MOM - not in your eyes or in the eyes of your country. This means the majority of correspondence degrees will probably be non-contenders.

This will probably affect around 30K of the 142K EP holder currently here as of December 2010.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/Pages/Pr ... listid=377
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Mon, 03 Nov 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no longer relevant
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 7:42 pm

Just a data point: A friend who's been in Sg two years recently applied to renew his P1 EP, but with a salary under $8000. He was fully expecting to get bumped down to P2, but no, the renewal came through as P1. So, surprisingly enough, there is apparently some leeway in these rules for people already in Singapore. :shock:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 8:45 pm

jpatokal wrote:Just a data point: A friend who's been in Sg two years recently applied to renew his P1 EP, but with a salary under $8000. He was fully expecting to get bumped down to P2, but no, the renewal came through as P1. So, surprisingly enough, there is apparently some leeway in these rules for people already in Singapore. :shock:
Hey stranger, hows in going down in Aus? Your friend? No :shock: - see the first point for existing EP holders. :wink:
For existing EP holders whose passes expire...

-before Jan 1, 2012 - They will receive a one-time renewal of up to two years, based on the rules that existed before July 1 this year
:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CallumHKUK

Post by CallumHKUK » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 3:04 am

Hi Everyone

Finding this forum full of useful information! Many thanks

I am due to relocate to Singapore in a few months. However I have just noticed my EP form requesting my educational background and having researched a little further it is suggested a number of time that you will not get granted an EP unless you have a degree? I never completed my degree, instead having worked for the last 10 years. My salary is S$10K + per month. I'm now getting really worried that my EP will be declined but I've already started planning my relocation :( - would anyone be able to shine some light on this? Should I be ok as my salary is more than the minimum S$8K for P1??

Really appreciate any help anyone can offer with this

Thank you!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 3:34 am

On that salary it will be a P1 EP and the P1 is one for which you do not have to be a graduate. So in my humble opinion you're absolutely fine.

p.s. I find it rather poetic that the highest grade of EP, the P1, is the only one for which you do not have to be a graduate. Kinda tells you how much being a graduate matters when it comes down to reaching the top.

CallumHKUK

Post by CallumHKUK » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 3:54 am

That is such a relief! Thank you so much for your reply

I will submit the EP application form and look forward to joining you all out in Singapore :)

Thanks again

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 4:08 am

CallumHKUK wrote:That is such a relief! Thank you so much for your reply

I will submit the EP application form and look forward to joining you all out in Singapore :)

Thanks again
No problem. I take it that you're filling in a copy of the template form with all your details to hand over to your company's SGn HR people, rather than submitting it yourself? As it is the hiring company who complete and file the official application with MoM (they do it online), and not the individual.

CallumHKUK

Post by CallumHKUK » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 2:53 am

That I am :) - or actually, it's an agent appointed by my SGN company who are submitting it on my/the companies behalf

Thanks again for your help - hopefully it won't take too long to approve. I move out in 6 weeks! Looking forward to it and especially looking forward to the hot weather :)

Thx