Singapore Expats

Tiles on Walkways

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Tiles on Walkways

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:00 pm

Who's the bloody genius who thought of putting tiles on sidewalks, walkways and ramps?!?

It's raining today and I almost fell when I slipped while walking my usual pace. I also see other people lose traction when walking on wet tiles and my shoes have soles specifically designed for traction so I know it's not just me.

:x :x :x
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:02 pm

Agreed, considering it rains a lot in Singapore you'd think someone responsible would have enough brain cells to realise that tiled pavements are not the way to go. I guess government ministers don't walk down the street though, they're being chaufferred about instead :x
I HAVE MASTERS!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:54 pm

Finally! After 6 years I see a complaint about tiles on walkways :lol: Hope you didn't rupture yourself :wink: Been there done that, even though i was already aware of the risks! When its wet its like being on ice! :) The designer was probably a MASTERS too :shock:

Maybe an opening for non slip covers :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 1:13 pm

ksl wrote:Finally! After 6 years I see a complaint about tiles on walkways :lol: Hope you didn't rupture yourself :wink: Been there done that, even though i was already aware of the risks! When its wet its like being on ice! :) The designer was probably a MASTERS too :shock:

Maybe an opening for non slip covers :lol:
Thank goodness for agility. No thanks to the bloody genius who put form over function. He should be made to run on wet tiled pathway.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 1:27 pm

Another set of geniuses works very hard thinking what kind of paints should be put on the indoor carpark floors. Very funny and entertaining if you go inside with a motorbike when it rains outside.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 1:29 pm

Floor tiles are supposed to be/can be made non-slip. But I agree, far too many places use tiles that are definitely slippery.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 2:25 pm

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

It has also been a mystery to me as to why a country that has as much rain as Singapore does, they only put up "token" shelters (previous passage way between Plaza Sing and the Atrium) and slippery when wet tiles.

SMS is currently on about the quality of FT, but LT leaves a lot to be desired....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 3:17 pm

I've done the splits on wet tiles a couple of times, not fun! Also by walking through pools of water (from vehicle air-con) in car-parks. If that happened in the UK the owners/managers would get sued.

In fact the Princess Diana fountain in Hyde Park became notorious for slipping accidents. So much so it attracted people who intentionally went to have 'accidents' and sue. As one guard there told me, in a highly resigned voice... 'We tell them not to go in the watert but they still do. They slip over and then tell us they're going to sue, and for the managers details'.

My other bugbear in SG is where there is concreted pavement around trees. A square of earth is left bare around the tree trunk. sometimes the edge of the concrete in lined with a raised lip of brickwork that might be only be 1cm high. I once went flying over one in Toa Payoh but did not fall. However a week later I did it again and stayed up for 5 or so flying steps before falling flat. Credit to the locals though, a couple did come and ask if I was ok.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 3:42 pm

First noticed the problem more than 15-yrs ago when I first arrived in HK, it's not a SG 'only' problem.

The other problem i have is the bricked driveways/roads/pavements...... very nice to look at when they are laid but after about 8-minutes they're all crooked and lumpy, but at least not slippy.

Bring me a full set of 2ftsq flag stones..... solves everybody's problems.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 4:35 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:First noticed the problem more than 15-yrs ago when I first arrived in HK, it's not a SG 'only' problem.
So, these geniuses are all over the place?!? It's an infestation, I tells ya!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 6:57 pm

JR8 wrote:I've done the splits on wet tiles a couple of times, not fun! Also by walking through pools of water (from vehicle air-con) in car-parks. If that happened in the UK the owners/managers would get sued...
...Credit to the locals though, a couple did come and ask if I was ok.
My knee is still messed up from taking a spill on a wet sidewalk in January when I was 7 mos pregnant :x :x
And not only did no one offer to see if I was ok (I wasn't) at least a half dozen people stepped over me as I lay sprawled trying to figure out how to maneuver my ridiculously large and unbalanced body from prone onto one foot. Still a little bitter about that...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 7:38 pm

Not cool :cry: :o

p.s. I hold grudges well too lol

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 8:52 pm

I have noticed an increase of those metals studs being installed on the roadsides where pedestrians crossings are...

Clearing they are going for a light maiming rather than all out kills.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:34 am

Yes, it's great isn't it...... because as we know metal is far more slip resistant when wet than ceramic tiles :roll:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:38 am

Tigerslayer wrote:I have noticed an increase of those metals studs being installed on the roadsides where pedestrians crossings are...

Clearing they are going for a light maiming rather than all out kills.
I think those are lights... at least they are on Orchard near the Thai embassy.

Return to “General Discussions”