Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Calypso

Married a Work Permit Holder

Post by Calypso » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 9:36 am

Hi everyone....what i want to say is, as a Singaporean male in SINGAPORE....we work and contribute to CPF paying Incometax and so on....but i just wanna know where is our RIGHTS...!!!!! does we have our RIGHTS to married a work permit holder woman who ever work or EX work permit holder here in SINGAPORE.....u see i fall in love with a woman who holding a work permit here in Singapore and that was back in 1994....and until now the Singapore Goverment still can't approve our true love....and that we want to get married here in Singapore....i just wonder that those Viet girl who doesn't know or even never been to Singapore but can married a Singaporean here.....why they approved such a married than to approved my married to my love ones..yes she work here berfore but we got good relations compare to those forent girls from married agency....!!!!!!

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:48 am

Did they tell you why they reject you application. Did you wife to be break any law when holding on to the Work Permit?

If you seriously want to marriage her and the application is not approved, go to the MP for help?

But your wife to be got to have a clear record.

Calypso

Married a work permit holder

Post by Calypso » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:33 am

Well....she have a good record....MP's can't do anything but to submit our application to MOM....and he say if they reject the application she will be Ban to Enter Singapore, might be Years and not conform if the application will approved after the BAN...and i did go to MOM to apply for married a work permit holder in SINGAPORE and asked them what r the things that make the application Rejected......They said its CONFIDENTIAL....its up to them to decide... so i did not apply.....Ok at this point i wanna ask....where is my RIGHTS again....!!!!!! i mean at least they tell me if u have this amount of salary then u can married or some clue u know....

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 3:00 pm

Ok, since they told you that and the MP cant help you at all.
But have encounted on one cases where his father is a Singaporean and the mother is a malaysia and also worked in singapore.. My friend tried to apply for a PR for her and was rejected because she did not tell delcare the truth for one of the cloumn.. when the application was rejected my friend was lucky the officer give him some hint and when he checked with his mum again and she recalled she went to court once.

But even they found out the truth and reapply again it was rejected again.

Sorry i dont mean your wife to be did not speak the truth but something must went wrong somewhere.. course in a normal situation they will approved the application.

So may be you got to speak to the officer in charge, dont speak to the customer service office they know nut and they are rude too, and they always put your line here and there you end up waited for 1/2 an hours yet get no answer from..

Good luck and try again...

Calypso

Work permit holder

Post by Calypso » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 9:40 am

Thank You elizabeth for those imformation...ur very kind lady.
But Elizabeth....i think my case is a little bit different from those people...i'm actually the Boss of my wife....u see the story is like this she's holding a work permit as a domestic helper so its really2 hard for me to apply for married here in SINGAPORE....

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elizabeth » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:25 am

In such case, can you marriage her at her country and apply a PR for her? I am very sure there must be a way out.. Keep Trying Dont Give Up..

Good Luck.. May God Bless..

Keep me inform of any outcome..

guess here

Post by guess here » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 2:09 pm

I have a friend who married her singaporean husband in the philippines,she worked here in singapore as a domestic helper before,they banned her from entering singapore for 5 years for marrying singaporean but in the end,they let her come here again to be with her husband.Im not sure why they let her enter singapore again i have to ask her.From which country is your wife?

Post by Guest » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 2:29 pm

I think the only reason she have been rejected is due to her work permit and further more you are her boss.
If i am not mistaken,a lady without a work permit found it easy to be marry off to sg men.

Maybe she need to go back to Phil for a period of 6 months before your plans to marry her.

nursabrina

I'm banned to Singapore!!!

Post by nursabrina » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 2:19 pm

I'm also facing the same problem...well I'm not a Singaporean but I am married to a Singaporean guy for nearly 10 years now. And sad to say we are living separately for those long years until now. My husband is been appealing to MOM to lift the ban but to no avail.....its been rejected for I don't know what reasons. Is there anyone here could give me some piece of advice coz we are so desperate already to be together. and our 8 years old son is also affected with this problem.

nursabrina

Post by nursabrina » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 2:23 pm

guess here wrote:I have a friend who married her singaporean husband in the philippines,she worked here in singapore as a domestic helper before,they banned her from entering singapore for 5 years for marrying singaporean but in the end,they let her come here again to be with her husband.Im not sure why they let her enter singapore again i have to ask her.From which country is your wife?
can u ask your friend how he brought back her wife to Singapore after being ban to Singapore? please we really need help,thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 3:24 pm

When a Work Permit holder (female) enters the country and has her pass issued, she is also informed that she cannot marry a Singaporean as long as she is on a work permit AND after she finishes her Work Permit, she has to leave the country. If that isn't enough, Once she has worked in Singapore, by law, she MUST GET PERMISSION to marry a Singaporean. If she does not get permission to marry a Singaporean from the Singapore Authorities, She will be not allowed to enter Singapore and will have to wait endless amounts of time to be allowed back in even though the Husband has a job and so forth. I have a nephew living with me with that exact problem. His wife finished her contract here and later they got married in the Philippines. They then returned to Singapore and she initially got a LTSVP but when it was time for renewal she was forced to leave the country (with a 6 month old baby). We've been to the MP several times and also with the Minister for Home Affairs appealing this thing and we are still battling it. It's a bit rough on the father AND the mother (hopefully this doesn't go on too long as then the child might start feeling it as well).

It sucks, but Work Permit holders are aware of this before they sign on the dotted line so they only have themselves to blame for not asking questions if they didn't understand it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

starbucke

Post by starbucke » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:15 pm

All Work permit Holder regardless of which country he or she came from are required to apply for permission to wed(Marriage Policy)

Regardless of WHETHER the Work Permit holder has left Singapore for 1 day, 1 year,10 years....., permission is required from Work Permit Holder to wed a Singapore National/PR!

Many of our neighbour(Malaysia) thought nothing much of it when they apply for work passes to work in Singapore, declaring themself as single even though married!

It is very sad when MOM/ICA found out their actual status. They can be charge for providing false information in obtaining the work pass. Penalty is jail, fine or both, after which, the work pass holder will have to serve a long period of ban upon repatriation!

I have client coming to me so pathetic, some even cried(including guys). So...

Let this posting reminds and warn all those work permit holder, please..please...Do not fiddle with ICA/MOM regulation

Our regulation is very strict, and is tough to be pardon

:)

starbucke

Re: I'm banned to Singapore!!!

Post by starbucke » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:21 pm

If you have been holding a work pass, and you married a Singapore national/PR w/o permission, you wud have contravene the Marriage Policy, and this carries a very long period of ban

It is tough to get this lifted as you have more than 1 department to deal with

Believe me, is tough, stressing and time consuming! I have dealt with numerous of this contravening cases

nursabrina wrote:I'm also facing the same problem...well I'm not a Singaporean but I am married to a Singaporean guy for nearly 10 years now. And sad to say we are living separately for those long years until now. My husband is been appealing to MOM to lift the ban but to no avail.....its been rejected for I don't know what reasons. Is there anyone here could give me some piece of advice coz we are so desperate already to be together. and our 8 years old son is also affected with this problem.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 4:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:...It sucks, but Work Permit holders are aware of this before they sign on the dotted line so they only have themselves to blame for not asking questions if they didn't understand it.
This is a good point. We had this issue as well regarding the NS for 2nd generation PRs. It is the law, period!

In this case I think the law makes sense on a case by case basis. However making the decision is not easy and there are bound to be unjust decisions. The only think one can try is to exercise your democratic rights and go through the appropriate channels. Contacting your MP would be the right thing in my opinion as you have to make yourselves heard.

nursabrina

Re: I'm banned to Singapore!!!

Post by nursabrina » Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:40 am

starbucke wrote:If you have been holding a work pass, and you married a Singapore national/PR w/o permission, you wud have contravene the Marriage Policy, and this carries a very long period of ban

It is tough to get this lifted as you have more than 1 department to deal with

Believe me, is tough, stressing and time consuming! I have dealt with numerous of this contravening cases

nursabrina wrote:I'm also facing the same problem...well I'm not a Singaporean but I am married to a Singaporean guy for nearly 10 years now. And sad to say we are living separately for those long years until now. My husband is been appealing to MOM to lift the ban but to no avail.....its been rejected for I don't know what reasons. Is there anyone here could give me some piece of advice coz we are so desperate already to be together. and our 8 years old son is also affected with this problem.

I only have to deal with MOM, I've no problem with Immigration. they also felt bad about the ban and the only advised they gave us was to appeal to MOM. We've been doing that for almost 10 years. It's really so depressing every time we receive an "unsuccessful result" from them. They should at least tell us the reason why until now they couldn't lift the ban.
Yes, I am aware of that policy that if you are a work permit hold or even an ex-work permit holder you are not allowed to marry a Singaporean. I just happened to fell in love...I don't see anything wrong with that. I know countless of illegal workers there in Singapore, not to mention those prostitutes who can freely go in and out of Singapore using different names. That you call a "strict policy"?

I ever thought of doing that also, changing my name and my identity since this things seems okey in Singapore but I just can't stomach to do that. My husband is even thinking of giving up his citizenship and migrate here in the Philippines just to be with us. For 10 years we are patiently waiting for the ban to be lifted, if there's no chance they should tell us so at least we could think of other way to be together .